FAREWELL TO BOB FAIRLEY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I recieved the very sad news of our old friend and shipmate Bob Fairley, He has passed over the Bar. I recieved the sad news from Malcom on Vancouver Island.

Bob Fairlie has crossed the bar. His daughter informed me of his passing, on Thursday. Bob was a veteran of the Second World War, and a man who
was proud of his participation in those exciting days, particularly serving on
the Murmansk run. Bob left the sea in the early fifties, married and emigrated to Canada, where he and his wife raised a family. He was also a member of the Canadian Merchant Seamans Assoociation, and it was when he came to Victoria to attend their general meeting that I got to meet him, having got to know him on the old Sailors Home site. Captain Kong and Ernie Higham recently hosted him at the Eldonian - see photos on the ships gallery thread,
and Ron Manderson did the same last year when Bob visited Merseyside.
So, those of us lucky enough to have enjoyed his company, however briefly,
can look back on it with a smile, as Bob had an a dry sense of humour that
really cracked you up.
So, let us all raise a glass to a fine man. Cheers Bob.

Ernie and I met up with Bob just over two weeks ago in the Eldonian Club and I posted his photos on the Gallery, It was a great pleasure to have met him, he always had a good sence of humour and kept us entertained with his jokes, sadly no more. It was a great shock to hear the news.
Bob served on the Russian Convoys during World War 2.
All the best Bob on your new venture. Cheers.