Thread: Chris George Trivia Thread

Default Chris George Trivia Thread

Hi all

I have begun a trivia thread on another site to do with Jack the Ripper but since it has a Maybrick - Liverpool connection I thought I would try a similar thread here, for a bit of fun.

I posted the following photograph in Caroline Morris's "Let's Discuss the Irregular Farce of Battlecrease Harse, or Die Laughing" thread at JtR Forums as a trivia question but I thought I would start a whole thread with this question. By the way, some of our Yo! regulars might like to chime in on Caz's observation that most Liverpudlians use the word "seen" for "saw" as in "I seen my friend recently" -- my feeling is that it is not as universal as she seems to think it is.

Following is a photograph of the former Quarry Bank High School in Liverpool, which I attended 1965 to 1968. It is one of John Lennon's schools (the Beatles were as originally known as the Quarrymen, a name derived from the school song, I understand). That's the old building that was the nucleus of Quarry below. It was completed as a private residence in 1867 and is now part of Calderstones Comprehensive School, having merged with what was Calder High School for Girls next door and another local girls school.

In this picture, whomever identifies the Maybrick connection in the photograph, wins a copy of the CD of my musical "Jack ? The Musical," written with French composer Erik Sitbon (CD available at http://cdbaby.com/cd/asu3), as performed by Actors Seen Unseen in Charlotte, North Carolina, May 13 & 14, 2006. Good luck. Answers by private message or else to me at editorctrip@yahoo.com

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

George

I'm sure this was Maybricks first home before mobing into Battles crease house.

Whilst on the subject of JR the letter "Dear Boss" was written by the newspaper reporter and did you know Chris,that most of the places around London where the murders took place are also birtually identical to the places in Liverpool...for instance...

London...
    Whitechapel,Thomas Street,Commercial Street,Castle Alley,Church Lane,Lime Street

Liverpool...
    Whitechapel,Sir Thomas Street,Castle Street,Commercial Road,Castle Street,Church Street,Lime Street

There's still one Street I havn't identified both in London and Liverpool,these areas are more or less where Maybrick frequented in Liverpool and areas near to the scenes of the murders in London.

Is the Brick on this building called MAY?
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Is the Brick on this building called MAY?
    Thanks, Spike and George. No, Spike, but there is something else in the photograph which we can associate with Maybrick. Keep trying.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I'm sure this was Maybricks first home before mobing into Battles crease house.

Whilst on the subject of JR the letter "Dear Boss" was written by the newspaper reporter and did you know Chris,that most of the places around London where the murders took place are also birtually identical to the places in Liverpool...for instance...

London...
    Whitechapel,Thomas Street,Commercial Street,Castle Alley,Church Lane,Lime Street

Liverpool...
    Whitechapel,Sir Thomas Street,Castle Street,Commercial Road,Castle Street,Church Street,Lime Street

There's still one Street I havn't identified both in London and Liverpool,these areas are more or less where Maybrick frequented in Liverpool and areas near to the scenes of the murders in London.
    Thanks, George. I don't think you will mind if I copy your interesting observation onto JtR Forums. Of course there are lots and lots of streets in both Liverpool and London so there's bound to be some similarity of names, I think, in the natural run of events.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

George

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Of course there are lots and lots of streets in both Liverpool and London so there's bound to be some similarity of names, I think, in the natural run of events.

All the best

Chris
    This is true but we're talking about JM here and its a bit of a coincidence that these streets/roads/allys are in and around where Maybrick frequented in Liverpool and the Murders in London the same streets where in close proximity.

Anyway its another theory to get yer teeth into if its not been enlightened before?

Another link, not directly to JM but between Liverpool and London, is that I believe Paradise Street may have got its name from a Paradise Street in Rotherhithe. Possibly the maritime links between these various seaports accounts for the coincidence of names. Here in Baltimore, Maryland, there is a Castle Street, a Water Street, and a Thames Street. While Liverpool has a Maryland Street and a Baltimore Street. The late poet and artist Adrian Henri pointed those latter streets out to me on one of my visits to the 'Pool some years ago. That was just before, as I recall, he introduced me to some people at the opening of Cavern Walks as "a poet from Philadelphia." I am not from Philadelphia, though my wife is.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

In this picture, whomever identifies the Maybrick connection in the photograph, wins a copy of the CD of my musical "Jack ? The Musical," written with French composer Erik Sitbon (CD available at http://cdbaby.com/cd/asu3), as performed by Actors Seen Unseen in Charlotte, North Carolina, May 13 & 14, 2006. Good luck. Answers by private message or else to me at editorctrip@yahoo.com

Chris
    Any more guesses? Have I stumped the panel?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

George

Any more guesses? Have I stumped the panel?

Chris
    Is it to do with that stone carving above those two white stones just to the side of the lamp?

Is it to do with that stone carving above those two white stones just to the side of the lamp?
    No but it might have something to do with the time of the year that I took the photograph.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

In May?! (I dont think I'm very good at this sort of thing )
    Last edited by wsteve55; 07-11-2009 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    In May?! (I dont think I'm very good at this sort of thing )

Getting warmer.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

George

You're gonna have to give us another hint of a clue?

JAmes maybriCK

You're gonna have to give us another hint of a clue?

JAmes maybriCK
    Then another clue for you all. . . The walrus was Paul. No. . .

Vegetation.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Then another clue for you all. . . The walrus was Paul. No. . .

Vegetation.
    Okay, here's the answer since I received no correct guesses. It's to do with the tree on the left which is hawthorn or may blossom. The so-called "Diary of Jack the Ripper" allegedly written by James Maybrick refers a lot to different variations on "May" such as "mayhem" and other words. Also may blossom appears on the Maybrick coat of arms.

Here are another couple of trivia questions. One that has a connection that Brits might get and the other trivia question has to do with American history.

She was a Roman empress. You don't have to know her first name. We might refer to her as "Mrs. Wall." Who was he?

And similarly one for the Yanks. He was a historical figure. His wife might be termed Mrs. Wall. Who was he? (Hint: It's not Reagan or Gorbachev!)

If you are the first to get either or both of the answers, you win a copy of the CD of my musical "Jack ? The Musical," written with French composer Erik Sitbon (CD available at http://cdbaby.com/cd/asu3), as performed by Actors Seen Unseen in Charlotte, North Carolina, May 13 & 14, 2006. Good luck. Answers by private message or else to me at editorctrip@yahoo.com

Good luck.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 07-14-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist