YO! Liverpool

Thread: American Gildart descendent

Thanks

Default American Gildart descendent

My name is Elton Robinson. I happened upon this forum while checking out my family history and decided to post. I live in Atoka, Tennessee, which is right outside of Memphis. I am a descendent of the Liverpool Gildarts and am very interested in knowing more about them. I have already discovered they were heavily involved in the slave trade.

A geneology document I have begins with Richard Gildart, the Mayor of Liverpool in the early 1700s.

His son, James (also a mayor of Liverpool) had a son Francis, who left England for Virginia in the late 1700s or early 1800s. His son, also a Francis, was a judge in Austin, Texas, in the 1850s. His son, Richard, was born in 1849and married Emma Jefferson, the grand niece of President Thomas Jefferson. Richard fathered Gordon Gildart, my grandfather, born in 1896.

ADVERTISING

To my current knowledge, there is only one living male heir to the Gildart name on this side of the tree, David Thomas Gildart, III.

I wonder if there are any Richard Gildart descendents still living in Liverpool, or any other artifacts, books, etc., I could be directed to find out more about the Gildarts. I'd love to visit Liverpool one day.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Elton,
    Welcome - I hope somebody can post information of use to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erobinson View Post
    My name is Elton Robinson. I happened upon this forum while checking out my family history and decided to post. I live in Atoka, Tennessee, which is right outside of Memphis. I am a descendent of the Liverpool Gildarts and am very interested in knowing more about them. I have already discovered they were heavily involved in the slave trade.

A geneology document I have begins with Richard Gildart, the Mayor of Liverpool in the early 1700s.

Picture of Richard Gildart on

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/w...y-gildart.aspx

Other info

http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...on_william.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/.../salt/salt.htm
    Last edited by taffy; 07-09-2009 at 11:41 PM.