Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Liverpool

Blog Entries

Default Medieval Liverpool

Do any parts of Medieval Liverpool still exist or are they buried forever blow exchange flags etc?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I doubt it - you'd have to go quite far down if anythings survived the constant building / bombing of recent years.

It would be nice if they tunred up something for the brithday celebrations.

I wonder if there's any medieval undercrofts lurking underneath the streets.

The oldest surviving building in Liverpool is the Ancient Chapel of Toxteth isn't it, a mere early C17th whippersnapper?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel
    I wonder if there's any medieval undercrofts lurking underneath the streets.

The oldest surviving building in Liverpool is the Ancient Chapel of Toxteth isn't it, a mere early C17th whippersnapper?
    The West Derby Courthouse is older I think.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    The West Derby Courthouse is older I think.
    That makes more sense, Kev. I'm sure I'd read somewhere that the Toxteth Chapel was the oldest blg in Liverpool, but it can't be. Come to think of it, Speke Hall must be much older too.

Maybes, the chapel in Toxteth is the oldest building in central Liverpool (pushing it a bit, I know) or something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel
    That makes more sense, Kev. I'm sure I'd read somewhere that the Toxteth Chapel was the oldest blg in Liverpool, but it can't be. Come to think of it, Speke Hall must be much older too.

Maybes, the chapel in Toxteth is the oldest building in central Liverpool (pushing it a bit, I know) or something.
    1688 the Chapel was built. Stanlaw Grange in Aigburth dates back to 1291 and still exists as two houses.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Apparently the plan of medieval streets has survived in the area around Castle Street, Dale Street, Tithebarn Street and Chapel Street.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

How old is StMary's church in Walton. There's been a church on that site for 950 years or so. Is the existing building a relatively recent replacement?

Blog Entries

Its been rebuilt a few times.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A.D.Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Apparently the plan of medieval streets has survived in the area around Castle Street, Dale Street, Tithebarn Street and Chapel Street.
    Quite correct, Kev. The first seven streets of Liverpool looked like the letter 'H'. Dale Street, Castle Street and Chapel Street we all know. There was also Mill Street/Whiteacre Street which is now Old Hall Street, Moor Street which is now Tithebarn Street, Bank Street which is now Water Street and finally Juggler Street which is High Street by the Town Hall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams
    Quite correct, Kev. The first seven streets of Liverpool looked like the letter 'H'. Dale Street, Castle Street and Chapel Street we all know. There was also Mill Street/Whiteacre Street which is now Old Hall Street, Moor Street which is now Tithebarn Street, Bank Street which is now Water Street and finally Juggler Street which is High Street by the Town Hall.
    Cheers Dave - stuff like this gets me excited. There should be an archaelogical dig or something similar to Chester, we could find alkinds!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I wonder how substantial the mediaval buildings were? Wattle and Daub huts? Timber framed town houses? Perhaps even a few stone ones? Anyone know if any "Ye Olde" engravings from years ago exist?

'Tewbrook' House - Tuebrook. That's very old. 1600's I think.
    It's supposed to be haunted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou
    'Tewbrook' House - Tuebrook. That's very old. 1600's I think.
    It's supposed to be haunted.
    Tuebrook House - 1615, West Derby Rd L13. A small Lancashire Jacobean house carved with the date and initials of John Mercer. I think its still owned by the council.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Default Medieval Liverpool

James street tunnel, and the Castle moat [Derby Square] are both medieval structures which still exist, but are buried beneath ground. As detailed below:

Image 1. is a early 1900's survey of a tunnel [that still exists] under James Street, which ran from the Castle moat [Derby Square] to what was thought to be a secure harbour at the bottom of James Street. As James street was much narrower then, the tunnel would have passed beneath the houses that existed on the southern side then. [Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire].

Zoom-in to view details of the map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exc_0007.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	599.6 KB 
ID:	16801

Image 2. a survey of the castle moat, castle, and James Street tunnel [No.14 on map] about Derby Square. It also highlights later developments such as St. George's church, and the Queen Victoria memorial. [Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire].

Name:	Exc13.jpg 
Views:	1909 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	16800

Image 3. Photograph the castle moat wall, sloping in rough hewn stone. [Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire].

Name:	Exc_0003.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	16799
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast