Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The time has come the Walrus said.......

Blog Entries

I think the Captain did as he was told by the Owner, Bruce Ismay,

"If you dont speed up and get to New York ahead of time then we will get a Captain who can".

HAD IT BEFORE AT SEA.

"If Safety costs money then forget it."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    I think the Captain did as he was told by the Owner, Bruce Ismay,

"If you dont speed up and get to New York ahead of time then we will get a Captain who can".

HAD IT BEFORE AT SEA.

"If Safety costs money then forget it."
    Still goes on, not much change there. Thanks for that Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Still goes on, not much change there. Thanks for that Captain.

Safety is now part of ISM (International Safety Management) and if a shipping company is not signatory to the convention they will have trouble finding work; if signatory to the convention a shipping company must comply with all safety requirements regardless of cost.
    Safety at sea is now paramount.

Click Here
    Last edited by phill; 08-08-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Tony,

SAFETY,
    Report by EMSA, European Maritime Safety Agency, July 2009.
    Quote..........
    "According to the Agency`s annual review of maritime accidents, loss of life and accidents involving ships operating in and around EU waters remain significently higher than three to five years ago.
    EMSA said a total of 82 seafarers lost their lives last year- the same figure as 2006.
    A total of 754 vessels were involved in 670 accidents, sinkings, collisions, groundings, fires/explosions and other significent accidents in and around European waters during 2008. This compares with 762 vessels involved in 715 accidents in 2007 and 535 vessels involved in 505 accidents in 2006.

"This years review again shows that accidents in European waters leads to enormous costs and significent loss of life." said EMSA Executive Director William de Ruiter." ....unquote.
    source, Telegraph, Nautilus International.

These incidents, which are still increasing, are only in European waters, mulltiplied by accidents world wide the "safety requirements" by ISM doesnt seem to excist.
    The whole seafaring industry is still way behind the requirements.
    Last edited by captain kong; 08-11-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Safety is now part of ISM (International Safety Management) and if a shipping company is not signatory to the convention they will have trouble finding work; if signatory to the convention a shipping company must comply with all safety requirements regardless of cost.
    Safety at sea is now paramount.

Click Here
    That's probably why the shipping companies go under foreign flags and have foreign crews. I'll bet they all talk the talk, but when it comes to putting their hands in their pockets.

Blog Entries

It is like a battlefield out there. I had several near misses in the North Sea with all the worlds cowboys operating there. I have reported them several times to the Coast Guard but nothing happened.
    Safety Regs, Rules of the Road, Traffic Seperation schemes do not excist to many operators.They do just what they want to do, cut corners on safety to save time and money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    It is like a battlefield out there. I had several near misses in the North Sea with all the worlds cowboys operating there. I have reported them several times to the Coast Guard but nothing happened.
    Safety Regs, Rules of the Road, Traffic Seperation schemes do not excist to many operators.They do just what they want to do, cut corners on safety to save time and money.
    I work in the petro-chemical business, probably the richest industry. They say all the right things. If you looked at that business you'd be horrified.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123