Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Squirrels at Formby

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Red Squirrels at Formby

Yes, in the national news!

One of the country's most beautiful sand dune and pinewood coastal areas is to become a red squirrel refuge. The National Trust said the Sefton Coast Woodlands, part of its Formby Estate on Merseyside, is the third national red squirrel refuge in the UK.

It is being launched at the start of Red Squirrel Week by Red Alert, a partnership of 120 organisations and individuals, including the National Trust and Lancashire Wildlife Trust, all committed to protecting the threatened species.

The woodlands will be surrounded by a three-mile "buffer zone" in an attempt to stop the movement of grey squirrels into the refuge area and safeguard the future of the much-loved creatures.

Andrew Brockbank, the National Trust's Countryside Property Manager at Formby, said: "People in the Formby and Sefton Coast area are justly proud of their red squirrels and fiercely resist anything which threatens their long-term survival.

"Long-term conservation of red squirrels will only succeed in this area, if grey squirrels are effectively controlled."

Once found throughout most of the UK, the distribution of red squirrels has declined dramatically in the last one hundred years with the break-up of their woodland habitats and the spread of the larger, more dominant North American grey squirrel.

As a result, red squirrels have only a few remaining habitats - mostly the coniferous forests of Scotland, Wales and Northern England.

There are about 160,000 red squirrels left in the UK compared with 2.5 million grey squirrels.

The other two National Red Squirrel Refuges are Spadeadam in Keilder Forest and Oasis Holiday Village, Penrith.

Source
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Anything to help keep the Red Squirrals existing is great. Only ever saw one once near Alton Towers I think.

My brother gets my dog to chase grey squirrals in the park, all she does is chase and bark at them though nothing else , she wouldn't harm it. She just like sto chase small animals.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

About two years ago on a rainy miserable November day I took my kids to the squirrel reserve,and with it being so quiet and deserted the squirrels were letting us hand feed them which was a truly amazing experience,I would definitely recommend doing this if your into nature or want to see your kids smile for hours,it has to be very dull and rainy to do this and you will get covered in crap so go prepared but its worth it.

Hi, Paul. One time we went to Formby Point we bought a packet of 'food' for the squirrels off the guy at the entrance, it consisted of a couple of monkey nuts among other stuff. Anyway, off we went to find our red friends. It wasn't long before one ran along the fence, sorted out the monkey nut from the other dross in my hand and b*ggered off. So next time you go, I suggest you pay a visit to the supermarket to buy yer nuts, 'cos they're fussy sods! As you say, a great place to take the kids,and it's free! Car parking is a bit pricey at £3 odd though, but what the hell...
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Yes your right scousemouse they defo prefer the monkey nuts.

Blog Entries

Its a very nice place, we (the family) have been 3 times now with the babies.

I'll upload a pic soon.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Formby is a smashing place any time of the year. It's nice for days out in the summertime, but you can have lovely autumn afternoon walks too. Days like today with nice autumn sunshine. Even winter walks can be nice. Wrap up well and enjoy the crisp winter atmosphere - as long as it's not a damp day.
    We went there in December once - just before Xmas - and it was really nice.
    There was a clear sky and a huge silver moon shining through the pine woods.

.... ooh, I'm coming over all poetic here

Blog Entries

Took the kids to Formby to see the squirrels today. I've attached a couple of pics and I'll upload more soon.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

ahh, that's a nice pic Kev did the kids see lots of squirrels? Some are quite tame and will come and feed from your hand. We've got my son on video when he was little feeding a squirrel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou
    ahh, that's a nice pic Kev did the kids see lots of squirrels? Some are quite tame and will come and feed from your hand. We've got my son on video when he was little feeding a squirrel.
    Yep, there were loads of 'em

Too many grey Squirrals in parks near me and have the Americans to thank for it!

Lol, my brother gets the dog to chase them and goes to her look and kill and she chases them and some nearly have been caught not noticing her!

Brother said she actually caught one off a tree and had it in her teeth!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Isnt there a law that lets u kill the grey ones?

Don't know.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Don't know.
    I think there is, can someone give us more infO?

Me Brother took a picture of one when it came up to him when he poured some strawberry milkshake on the ground. They'll come up to ya if ya got food.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast