YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mosquito

Thanks

Default The Mosquito

In that old battle of the wills between young people and their keepers, the young have found a new weapon that could change the balance of power on the cellphone front: a ring tone that many adults cannot hear.

ADVERTISING

In settings where cellphone use is forbidden in class, for example it is perfect for signaling the arrival of a text message without being detected by an elder of the species.

"When I heard about it I didn't believe it at first," said Donna Lewis, a technology teacher at the Trinity School in Manhattan. "But one of the kids gave me a copy, and I sent it to a colleague. She played it for her first graders. All of them could hear it, and neither she nor I could."

The technology, which relies on the fact that most adults gradually lose the ability to hear high-pitched sounds, was developed in Britain but has only recently spread to America by Internet, of course.

The cellphone ring tone is an offshoot of an invention called the Mosquito, developed last year by a Welsh security company to annoy teenagers and gratify adults, not the other way around.

It was marketed as an ultrasonic teenager repellent, an ear-splitting 17-kilohertz buzzer designed to help shopkeepers disperse young people loitering in front of their stores while leaving adults unaffected.

The principle behind it is a biological reality that hearing experts refer to as presbycusis, or aging ear.

While most human communication takes place in a frequency range between 200 and 8,000 hertz (a hertz being the scientific unit of frequency equal to one cycle per second), most adults' ability to hear frequencies higher than that begins to deteriorate in early middle age.

But in a bit of techno-jujitsu, someone a person unknown at this time, but probably not someone with presbycusis realized that the Mosquito, which uses this common adult abnormality to adults' advantage, could be turned against them. The Mosquito noise was reinvented as a ring tone!

Listen (?) to it here

Compound Security, the company behind the Mosquito has decided to start selling a ring tone of their own. It is called Mosquitotone, and it is now advertised as "the authentic Mosquito ring tone".

New York Times
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scousemouse
    Nope, cannot hear a thing.
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

Gawd, I feel old!
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Thanks

Can't hear it but can see it on the Audio Analyzer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Can't hear it but can see it on the Audio Analyzer.
    Its amazing
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

Default Call to ban dispersal device

My local paper shop has one of these, great it is. Whereas you had to barge through small groups of hoodies on the door they are nowhere to be seen because if anybody starts hanging about outside he simply switches the device on and they do one. But now these campagners come along (no doubt someone who doesnt live in an area affected by youth disorder) calling for their bans.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...name_page.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast