Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aigburth District

Default Will the real Aigburth please stand up

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Interesting to note that Wallasey's first two pics (the classiest ones) aren't officially in Aigburth
    Yes this irony did occur to me too !!!

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    There is of course another L8 on the other side of Upper Parliament St. To mask its L8 post code, the estate agents call this the Georgian Quarter though most of the houses were not built in Georgian Times. This part of L8 is not in Toxteth of course.
    And no one who lives there calls it 'the Georgian Quarter' or even its original name, Canning (although I think there is a Canning website run by a Canning enthusiast). Most locals refer to the street they live in to describe where they come from, e.g. 'I'm from Catherine Street.'

theninesisters

And no one who lives there calls it 'the Georgian Quarter' or even its original name, Canning (although I think there is a Canning website run by a Canning enthusiast). Most locals refer to the street they live in to describe where they come from, e.g. 'I'm from Catherine Street.'
    http://canning.merseyworld.com/

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Yes this irony did occur to me too !!!
    Awww! I can't win ere! I am going by my "Illustrated History of Liverpool's Suburbs" which has a great image of Sefton Park Lake in the Aigburth section taken from just infront of those houses in the second image! It's a cracking book by the way if ever any of you see it on sale!

Anyway; I quite like the back jigger image; I took it because the sun was beating off the backs of those houses; was a great sight!

Anyone got any images of Fulwood Park? I would go tomorrow but I have lost me Bus Pass (Student Pass before people go thinking that I am 80 odd!) Think I know where it is but might have to start buying Weekly's! Oh dear!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Awww! I can't win ere! I am going by my "Illustrated History of Liverpool's Suburbs" which has a great image of Sefton Park Lake in the Aigburth section taken from just infront of those houses in the second image! It's a cracking book by the way if ever any of you see it on sale!

Anyway; I quite like the back jigger image; I took it because the sun was beating off the backs of those houses; was a great sight!

Anyone got any images of Fulwood Park? I would go tomorrow but I have lost me Bus Pass (Student Pass before people go thinking that I am 80 odd!) Think I know where it is but might have to start buying Weekly's! Oh dear!
    You don't need to be 80 to get a bus pass.
    I've got one
    ...at the juvenile age of 60.

Default Sefton Park Aigburth ??

I took this book back to the booksellers and got my money back. I found so many errors I didn't think the publishers had a right to my money. They also would not withdraw the book pending correction of the errors.

I took this book back to the booksellers and got my money back. I found so many errors I didn't think the publishers had a right to my money. They also would not withdraw the book pending correction of the errors.
    It does trip up sometimes but it's still a good read all the same! I like the Yates and Perry Map from 1768, just shows that the city is much older than people think it is!

A picture of the Ultimate Chippy Steve's!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

A few images from Aigburth dated from 21DEC06
    Nice pics, not sure about the blurbs on the 'burbs though.

Aigburth Drive All the properties lining Aigburth Drive are different and were designed to show off how wealthy you really were. Most of these properties have either been converted into flats or even demolished.
    You're right, most have been converted to flats or hotels. Not many have been demolished.

Ashfield Road/Aigburth Road The heart of Aigburth is arguably here at the bottom of Ashfield Road where it meets Aigburth Road and Jericho Lane. As previously stated, the original village which may have been Anglo Saxon will have been situated in the vicinity of the Oskelesbrook which would have had a wooded vale. Aigburth itself means "The place of Oaks" so this location is perfectly suitable for it's name.
    This is misleading. This is the heart of Aigburth Vale. If you live further up Aigburth Road, you are more likely to use the shops at Mersey Road, or drive to Tescos in Allerton than come here. There are one or two restaurants in the Vale but most people would go to Lark Lane to eat out, so I'm not sure how accurate it is to call this place the 'heart' when officially it marks the beginning of Aigburth!

Aigburth Road This was one of John Brodie's avenues which he built to improve links around the city. Queens Drive was meant to have a rather impressive terminus on Aigburth Road but this was never realised. Now, these roads which were once deserted, have come into their own as people commute out of the city to the likes of the Estuary Park as well as into the City Centre.
    It is not accurate to say that Aigburth Road depicted in this photograph has ever been deserted! It has always been busy (perhaps more so when Speke and Garston were full of real factories as opposed to people answering phones at the present time). If you are talking about Queens Drive (Mossley Hill), Mossley Hill Drive and Aigburth Drive once being deserted but now used as rat runs for commuters you would be right - but the photograph shown is of Aigburth Road.

Apologies if I sound critical. I think it's great that you are doing this but I'm wondering if you may need to be a little bit more careful with how you source your material if you are going to put it on the net. A rule of thumb might be never to make strong claims unless you have robust evidence to back them up. Another way around this might be to talk about 'my impressions of Aigburth'.

I'm surprised you have any local history books left! They are all extremely anecdotal. That's what I like about them

A good pinch of salt and they're fine.

MissInformed

what were these errors taffy?

Apologies if I sound critical. I think it's great that you are doing this but I'm wondering if you may need to be a little bit more careful with how you source your material if you are going to put it on the net. A rule of thumb might be never to make strong claims unless you have robust evidence to back them up. Another way around this might be to talk about 'my impressions of Aigburth'.
    Don't worry about it; You will obviously know more than I do because you live and experiance this part of the city more than I do.

Where would you suggest I got some robust evidence from? I would use Wikipeadia but that information is also questionable sometimes!

Default Aigburth and Wikipedia

Don't worry about it; You will obviously know more than I do because you live and experiance this part of the city more than I do.

Where would you suggest I got some robust evidence from? I would use Wikipeadia but that information is also questionable sometimes!
    Wikipedia is decidedly dodgy when it comes to either Aigburth or Toxteth. As the founder of Wilipedia is quoted as saying, you should not rely on this information to be the absolute truth. The therory is that with many people editing it, the truth will eventually emerge. In the meantime, beware !!

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    what were these errors taffy?
    Cannot remember them now really. It was about a year or so ago when I first bought the book. I seem to remember problems with the Allerton and Toxteth information. There may be others which I forget. I originally bought it for the old photos in it but on reading the text I became sufficiently annoyed with the errors that I didn't think the publishers deserved my money, so I took the book back. My money was refunded without question.

Quite honestly I think your pictures speak for themselves and don't really need to be grounded in a version of local history. If you enjoy giving an historical slant, why not cite your source? My favourite writer of local history is Derek Whale. Avoid Wikipedia under pain of death.

Also, it can be useful to take pictures away from the main roads. Often a main road is not typical of the local area. Avoid generalisations. If you think about your own area, it's probably multi-faceted. All areas of Liverpool are like this. So, for example, if writing about L8, don't reduce it to Park Road or Princes Road, get to know Cockburn Street, Windsor Street, Catherine Street, Lodge Lane and Hartington Road, Windermere Terrace, Sunnyside, High Park Street's monumental buildings. If writing about L17, differentiate the Aigburth Road area from St Michaels-in the-Hamlet, correctly position Lark Lane and its interesting sidestreets and capture the changing seasons of Sefton Park, Croxteth and Greenbank Drives. Differentiate between the east and west sides of Aigburth Road north of the Vale, explore Fulwood Park and Otterspool, discover the hidden (and lost) orchards at the bottom of Mersey Road. Get to know the river from this side of the water and the remains of the festival site. If writing about L18 ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast