Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aigburth District

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I think it's called Aigburth and St Michael's Cricket Club. I suppose with the Liverpool Cricket Club in the real Aigburth, they had to tag Aigburth onto the St Michael's name.
    Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    It is still just listed as Aigburth Cricket club, I just googled it.
    The reason I remember it is that it was one of the trick questions in the Hackney carriage knowledge test when it was under the control of the police back in the early 60's.
    Thanks, Shy and Taffy!

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default Aigburth and the Dingle L17

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    I think that there has been leakage between postcode and district with everyone who lives in L17 saying that they live in Aigburth. One way to manage this would be to move the signs for Aigburth from Aigburth Vale to the beginning of Aigburth Road where most people in this area regard it as starting. People from L8 often accuse people who live in the area between Dingle Lane and Aigburth Vale as saying they live in 'Aigburth' for snobbish reasons. That may be part of it. So just where is Aigburth? Is it the suburb south of Aigburth Vale or is it the soul of South Liverpool north of this area? Is it a bit of both?

Move the signs LCC! Map the district onto the psychological reality that is Aigburth!
    Interestingly the council already have a sign at the junction of Dingle Lane and Aigburth Rd. It says Aigburth 1 1/4 miles !!! that is along Aigburth Rd. Of course the original name for this stretch of Aigburth Rd was Park Rd as in Toxteth Park.

The Aigburth sign on Victoria Rd, Aigburth Vale is one of the few actually sited in the right place. Interestingly the council placed another Aigburth sign on Riverside Drive near to the municipal tip and Jericho Lane. This was almost in the right place but of course it caused a great rumpus as all those delightful people living along Riverside Drive felt they were no longer in "Aigburth" which of course they weren't really in the first place. In the event the council succumbed to political pressure, removed the sign but did not resite it.

Further along Riverside Drive they put a sign which said "Dingle". Again correctly sited near Promenade Gardens L17. This meant that all those people in those expensive L17 Riverside Drive Houses now not only didn't live in Aigburth but dread of dread actually lived in the Dingle. Oh dear they couldn't have that, so the Dingle sign was moved back about 1/2 mile towards the town centre.

So all this leads to an interesting question. The area around Dingle Lane has changed its post code from L8 to L17. Part of it used to be the old Dingle Oil terminal. Does this mean that in the last 20 years, this has now changed from being in the Dingle to being in Aigburth. Reading Jericho's post one can only be drawn to that conclusion. Or are the people living near the Dingle allotments wrong to say they live in Aigburth.

A Dingle of course is a wooded valley which the council kindly filled with household rubbish around 1900. I'm not sure how the whole of the area along Park Rd came to be called the Dingle or indeed the logic of the council's new siting of the Dingle sign at Park St near the old Brunswick Dock. Of course as there still is no other sign all the way along Riverside Drive, the people there still live, according to the council, in the Dingle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Junction Dingle Lane Ullet Rd Aigburth Rd.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aigburth sign Riverside Drive April 2006 105.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	1427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aigburth sign Riverside Drive April 2006 108.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	1428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dingle Sign Riverside Drive April 2006 100.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	1429  

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    There is (or used to be) an Aigburth cricket club. It is located in St. Michaels Hamlet. I believe it is in Southwood Rd. or Bucheleuch(sp) St.
    The entrance to AIGBURTH cricket club is indeed in Southwood Road. It used to be possible to access it via Buckland Street but that entrance has been closed for some years. As far as I'm aware, the cricket club in Aigburth Road has always been known as LIVERPOOL cricket club. I'm a member and play tennis there.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Interestingly the council already have a sign at the junction of Dingle Lane and Aigburth Rd. It says Aigburth 1 1/4 miles !!! that is along Aigburth Rd. Of course the original name for this stretch of Aigburth Rd was Park Rd as in Toxteth Park.

The Aigburth sign on Victoria Rd, Aigburth Vale is one of the few actually sited in the right place. Interestingly the council placed another Aigburth sign on Riverside Drive near to the municipal tip and Jericho Lane. This was almost in the right place but of course it caused a great rumpus as all those delightful people living along Riverside Drive felt they were no longer in "Aigburth" which of course they weren't really in the first place. In the event the council succumbed to political pressure, removed the sign but did not resite it.

Further along Riverside Drive they put a sign which said "Dingle". Again correctly sited near Promenade Gardens L17. This meant that all those people in those expensive L17 Riverside Drive Houses now not only didn't live in Aigburth but dread of dread actually lived in the Dingle. Oh dear they couldn't have that, so the Dingle sign was moved back about 1/2 mile towards the town centre.

So all this leads to an interesting question. The area around Dingle Lane has changed its post code from L8 to L17. Part of it used to be the old Dingle Oil terminal. Does this mean that in the last 20 years, this has now changed from being in the Dingle to being in Aigburth. Reading Jericho's post one can only be drawn to that conclusion. Or are the people living near the Dingle allotments wrong to say they live in Aigburth.

A Dingle of course is a wooded valley which the council kindly filled with household rubbish around 1900. I'm not sure how the whole of the area along Park Rd came to be called the Dingle or indeed the logic of the council's new siting of the Dingle sign at Park St near the old Brunswick Dock. Of course as there still is no other sign all the way along Riverside Drive, the people there still live, according to the council, in the Dingle.
    It's only recently that ANY signs for the Dingle have been seen at all. You're right to say that the area around what used to be the old oil terminal is now Liverpool 17. Personally, I think this is a con. It should be part of L8 but for some reason people spending 300k on a house don't want a L8 postcode. How nouveau riche is that?! The residents petitioned to have the Dingle sign taken down when it was erected. However, for the sake of consistency, I'm happy for anyone living in L17 to say that they live in Aigburth. With the forthcoming development of the festival site, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that whole area becomes officially known as St Michaels-in-the-Hamlet. Sounds better than Aigburth to me

The entrance to AIGBURTH cricket club is indeed in Southwood Road. It used to be possible to access it via Buckland Street but that entrance has been closed for some years. As far as I'm aware, the cricket club in Aigburth Road has always been known as LIVERPOOL cricket club. I'm a member and play tennis there.
    Thanks, Jericho. I found this interesting history of Liverpool Cricket Club which shows that after its foundation in 1807 the club played in various locations in the Liverpool area before settling at the Aigburth Road and Riversdale Road location:

http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolcricketclub/

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default Adieu Aigburth

With the forthcoming development of the festival site, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that whole area becomes officially known as St Michaels-in-the-Hamlet. Sounds better than Aigburth to me
    I'd agree with that. The area is after all called St Michael's on all Liverpool OS maps and the boundary for St Michael in the Hamlet, Toxteth Park, Church runs all the way along Riverside Drive to the now culverted River Jordan in Otterspool Park. This stream was of course the official Toxteth boundary. St Anne's Church Aigburth parish being on the other side of the River Jordan.

I should perhaps declare an interest in this curiosity about why the Lark Lane and St Michael's area became called Aigburth. Our family lived at 32 Parkfield Rd, Sefton Park in the late 19th C. Census information shows this correctly to be in Toxteth Park. It was never said to be in Aigburth at that time. Nowadays of course that address is the local abortion clinic !!!

That Dingle sign above (near Herculaneum Dock), was one of the new signs that was in the CORRECT place. It disappeared before I could take a pic. It makes me chuckle that a lot of the disputes revolve around the name Toxteth.
    Postcodes are just a moneymaker for the Post Office and the developers of new estates (they can add £1,000s to the price of each new house). They can change whenever a developer wants to buy a 'better' Postcode.
    There was a section of nearby Sefton Street that went the other way as it changed from L3 to L8, about 10-15 years ago
    So far as I know, the area around Dingle Point/Promenade Gardens/start of Riverside Drive has never had any history with Aigburth...but it certainly has had with Dingle.
    Doubtless the Garden Festival Hall site will be given a L17 postcode...but it's Dingle really.
    Last edited by marky; 02-10-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: corrected location details

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    That Dingle sign above (near Herculaneum Dock), was one of the new signs that was in the CORRECT place. It disappeared before I could take a pic. It makes me chuckle that a lot of the disputes revolve around the name Toxteth.

So far as I know, the area around Dingle Point/Promenade Gardens/start of Riverside Drive has never had any history with Aigburth...but it certainly has had with Dingle.
    Doubtless the Garden Festival Hall site will be given a L17 postcode...but it's Dingle really.
    Photo of Dingle sign in correct place in my earlier post Marky

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post

I feel uncomfortable with the 'apartheid' that goes on in the L17/L8 interface area in the Dingle. For example, it used to be possible to drive from Buckland Street into Dingle Vale. The road is now blocked just south of Shorefields comp (at the border of L8/L17). In the days of the oil terminal, you turned left at the bottom of Dingle Lane (where Promenade Gardens is now) to enter it. This road is also blocked for cars. Guess what - it's now the L8/L17 border. Personally I think this is outrageous and suggests a city ill at ease with itself.
    Last edited by Jericho; 02-10-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

A few images from Aigburth dated from 21DEC06

Sefton Park Houses lining can Aigburth Drive be seen in the background above the lake which water is supplied by the Oskelsbrook which used to run down a valley to which the original settlement of Aigburth is thought to have been placed.

Aigburth Drive All the properties lining Aigburth Drive are different and were designed to show off how wealthy you really were. Most of these properties have either been converted into flats or even demolished.

Ashfield Road/Aigburth Road The heart of Aigburth is arguably here at the bottom of Ashfield Road where it meets Aigburth Road and Jericho Lane. As previously stated, the original village which may have been Anglo Saxon will have been situated in the vicinity of the Oskelesbrook which would have had a wooded vale. Aigburth itself means "The place of Oaks" so this location is perfectly suitable for it's name.

Back of Lucan Road/Woodlands Road It was the victorians who really saw the potential in Aigburth. It was ideally placed for commuting into the the city but was also great for those who wanted to live in close reach of the country. Don't forget, the likes of Garston would have been reached down a lane rather than one of John Brodie's avenues from the 1930's and Speke was yet to become an housing estate surrounded by industry and avaition emmisions.

Aigburth Road This was one of John Brodie's avenues which he built to improve links around the city. Queens Drive was meant to have a rather impressive terminus on Aigburth Road but this was never realised. Now, these roads which were once deserted, have come into their own as people commute out of the city to the likes of the Estuary Park as well as into the City Centre.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

MissInformed

I feel uncomfortable with the 'apartheid' that goes on in the L17/L8 interface area in the Dingle. For example, it used to be possible to drive from Buckland Street into Dingle Vale. The road is now blocked just south of Shorefields comp (at the border of L8/L17). In the days of the oil terminal, you turned left at the bottom of Dingle Lane (where Promenade Gardens is now) to enter it. This road is also blocked for cars. Guess what - it's now the L8/L17 border. Personally I think this is outrageous and suggests a city ill at ease with itself.
    Most People are still ashamed to say they live in L8. That's basically the root of the problem. Estate agents are still quite reluctant to tell you if a property is in L8 too. I know this from experience!
    I am from L8, and am proud of it...

Default Aigburth and Mossley Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Philip et al.

I lived at 76 Aigburth Hall Avenue nearly opposite the shops and we always thought of it as Mossley Hill.
    Chris
    Dear Chris

Mossley Hill per se has no defined boundaries but spreads over a number of townships including Garston within which of course lies Aigburth.

SS Matthew and James Mossley Hill Church parish boundary extends just beyond Aigburth Hall Rd, so yes you are right in one sense to say you lived in Mossley Hill. Of course you also lived in Aigburth !!! See church parish boundary web site link below

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/31

Best wishes

taffy

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    Most People are still ashamed to say they live in L8. That's basically the root of the problem. Estate agents are still quite reluctant to tell you if a property is in L8 too. I know this from experience!
    Liverpool would be such a dull city without L8. You're right to be proud of it. I hate the way LCC has blocked off lots of roads so that you now have endless cul-de-sacs in some parts of L8. It's just starting to get over having a 35 year long bad hair day. A few years from now it will be back where it belongs - at the heart of the city.

Default L8

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    There is of course another L8 on the other side of Upper Parliament St. To mask its L8 post code, the estate agents call this the Georgian Quarter though most of the houses were not built in Georgian Times. This part of L8 is not in Toxteth of course.

Interesting to note that Wallasey's first two pics (the classiest ones) aren't officially in Aigburth

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast