Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Aigburth District

Default Scallies and Aigburth Vale

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    That part Is the godlike part of Aigburth. Past that and you have St Michael's area where Tesco exists and scallies.
    You'll have to pump your bike tyres up Max and make your way to Aigburth Vale area after dusk. Any number of scallies hang around the area, usually with their spray cans in full flow. Also the Aigburth Vale old people's home is a constant target for thieves who break into the flats etc.

Know what you mean, I nearly took out two lads on a scooter as I turned into the vale this evening. Must have been no more than 15 years old, in the middle of the road with no lights (of course)...

Default Independent Article on Aigburths "Boho Chic" culture

Difficult to know which area to post this under. Todays Independent newspaper has the following article. (I'm afraid I had to look up what exactly "boho chic" is!

The Merseyside postcode that became a hub of boho chic

It has waterside, a huge park and some of the city's best pubs and restaurants. Ciara Leeming visits L17 - the postcode of choice for Liverpool's bohemians

To those in the know, Aigburth's a haven within Liverpool: somewhere to live if you like the convenience of a city but also want to escape. It's just a short bus or train ride, or 30-minute walk north, to Liverpool city centre from here, but the atmosphere could not be more different.

The city's most bohemian neighbourhood, known locally as L17, is self-contained and has a village feel more akin to somewhere like Camden than a northern city suburb.
    Its quite a long article. Read it all at http://money.independent.co.uk/prope...cle2456837.ece

Mike

Blog Entries

RESIDENTS from a yob-plagued estate have been praised for their efforts in tackling anti-social behaviour and creating safer communities. Contour Housing Group’s Kelton Park Estate in Aigburth was recognised at a special awards ceremony for taking action after it was targeted by youths. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Belem Close boarded-up. This is next door to Belem Tower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belem_Close_June_2007.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	3252  

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Belem Close boarded-up. This is next door to Belem Tower.
    Have you any idea what's happening, Marky.
    I always imagined it would be rather nice to live there.
    Belem Tower was one of the first towers in Liverpool (1958).
    Certainly the first in South Liverpool.
    Funnily enough it took its name from the mansion that had been on the same site,
    and not from the fact that it was a high-rise tower.
    The Victorian gate posts are still there.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-05-2007 at 12:40 AM.

I don't know what's going to happen to Belem Close, but it's been boarded up for several weeks.

What's happening with the Aigy Arms? It is all fenced off. I had my first drink in there.

What's the story with the delapidated old boarded up building facing the Inglenook pub?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    What's the story with the delapidated old boarded up building facing the Inglenook pub?
    The story of why it's boarded up or the history of the building?

Either way it's one of my 'Dingle Mysteries'.
    I could never understand why such a comparitively small and plain building was built there considering all the other houses (without exception) round Princes Park are large mansions.
    With it being rather small it's not always shown on maps, so I don't know if it predates the park.
    I'm guessing that perhaps it was built as some sort of foreman's house when the park was getting laid out, but I've no evidence for that.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The story of why it's boarded up or the history of the building?

Either way it's one of my 'Dingle Mysteries'.
    I could never understand why such a comparitively small and plain building was built there considering all the other houses (without exception) round Princes Park are large mansions.
    With it being rather small it's not always shown on maps, so I don't know if it predates the park.
    I'm guessing that perhaps it was built as some sort of foreman's house when the park was getting laid out, but I've no evidence for that.
    Didn't one of the houses there belong to The Mole of Edgehill's Doctor?, it may have gone when those new flats were built a year or two ago.
    I remember saying to one of the old Profs who lived in Grassendale Park ''That small house is a little near your garden isn't it?'' to which he replied 'That's my garage!'' It had upstairs windows with curtains and all those 'homely' touches. It was the original stables with living accommodation for the groom(s)

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    Didn't one of the houses there belong to The Mole of Edgehill's Doctor?, it may have gone when those new flats were built a year or two ago.
    I remember saying to one of the old Profs who lived in Grassendale Park ''That small house is a little near your garden isn't it?'' to which he replied 'That's my garage!'' It had upstairs windows with curtains and all those 'homely' touches. It was the original stables with living accommodation for the groom(s)
    Nope, Dr Raffles lived at the end of Mason Street, Edge Hill. His house was demolished and all that remains is the cellar system which is part of the Heritage Centre on Smithdown Lane.

There was a nice write up in the Guardian's colour weekend mag about Aigburth in their ''Lets move to...'' series.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...129886,00.html
    It had a very nice photo of Lucerne Street.
    Last edited by billo; 07-23-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Default Guardian article

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    There was a nice write up in the Guardian's colour weekend mag about Aigburth in their ''Lets move to...'' series.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...129886,00.html
    It had a very nice photo of Lucerne Street.
    Some interesting views on the area by Tom Dyckhoff. I'm not sure I entirely agree with him when he talks about Aigburth riding on the coat tails of Sefton Park and Mossley Hill. Half of Sefton Park is in Aigburth! Also, Aigburth Vale (where I live) was historically at least, just as wealthy as Mossley Hill. Check out the number of large villas there were here on the early 1900's OS maps...

Also, I would say transport links are more than 'not bad' they're pretty darn excellent.

I don't think property prices are rising at the moment though, i'd say the market is pretty stagnant.

This is what the city needs though, good unbiased journalism, which can help change the perception of Liverpool as all run down urban wasteland. For me, being originally from the south east of England, I can't think of a more beautiful urban area to live in than Aigburth.

Hi Ingo

Having been brought up in Mossley Hill and worked in Aigburth Vale, at Martin's Bank (later Barclay's), I can testify to the charms of Aigburth and environs. It's great to see the area receiving this type of national publicity.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast