Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Brunswick Dock Area

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    World Heritage has nothing to do with this. Because some incompetent minister screws up don't blame WH. When people call Liverpool a slum, because the London and Manchester based media have perpetuated that myth, and you say most of the centre and extensive parts of the docks are World Heritage Zones I just like the look at their faces when told. The status pulls Liverpool up to world city. Value it!!!! Don't blame WHS status, blame primarily the idiot LibDem councillors who voted against this project, who you can always vote out and should be voted out, and then some idiotic washed out tart in Whitehall with a bent husband.

Central government in London should have no say in what is built in Liverpool - not their business. This over centralised country again - the most centralised in the western world. Appeals should be local - maybe with some regional people called in as independent.
    Agreed! IT isn't WHS causing the problems, it is the way it is being used that is scuppering major projects. Having a WHS in a city is completely different from having it somewhere like the Taj Mahal. Liverpool is a thriving city and any WHS here must expect to have new 21st Century buildings built nearby. Another thing that has confused me about Kellys' comments is the fact that she said that it would damage views from and to the WHS. So why the F**k is there a 40 storey skyscraper being built right next to the Liver Building? (beetham tower) This just proves that there is something going on to stop projects like these going ahead. Beetham West Tower proves that tall buildings can be placed close to, or even in WHS' without damaging any of the existing architecture. The thing is, Brunswick Quay is miles away from the WHS compared to Beetham West. This is really starting to P**s me off!!!

I received a reply from Maro thanking me for my support and saying that they are commited to developing the site. I aslo received a reply from Warren Bradley informing me that he had forwarded my e-mail to the planning dept.

CONTACTS: info@marodev.co.uk
    : warren.bradley@liverpool.gov.uk

Does anyone know Ruth Kellys' e-mail address?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I received a reply from Maro thanking me for my support and saying that they are commited to developing the site. I aslo received a reply from Warren Bradley informing me that he had forwarded my e-mail to the planning dept.

If anybody does get in touch in with her I don't think it serves any purpose to call her a tart or her husband bent.
    There are plenty of other good reasons why she is wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    If anybody does get in touch in with her I don't think it serves any purpose to call her a tart or her husband bent.
    There are plenty of other good reasons why she is wrong.
    Yep. You must be diplomatic and polite to them, which still does not detratct from her family's demerits.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Default Brunswick Quay

Whatever you do don't mention 'Opus Dei'...(Of which she is a member/acolyte)...You really don't want them on your Back !!!!

kellyr@parliament.uk

But don't hold your breath for a reply.

Tallest tower dream dashed

A PIONEERING £100m plan to build Merseyside's tallest tower, a 52-storey skyscraper, on Liverpool's waterfront was rejected yesterday by Local Government Secretary Ruth Kelly.

She rejected the recommendation of her own planning expert who wanted the tower at Brunswick Quay to be given the go-ahead.

The minister based part of her decision on possible damage to the city's World Heritage site, as well as views of the two city cathedrals from Wirral, which one critic last night described as "bizarre".

The decision was condemned last night by supporters of what would have been an iconic building by one of the world's best-known architects, Ian Simpson.

Applicants Maro were last night studying the details of the 58-page report by the government planning inspector, as well as the written decision by Ms Kelly's office.

Maro executives will this weekend be locked in talks to consider launching a legal challenge on Monday.

A source close to the company said last night: "Maro convinced a highly respected and expert planner about the merits of the scheme, and in his eyes won their appeal, only to have it rejected in Whitehall."

Chris Ives, development director at Maro Developments, said: "We are extremely disappointed that the Secretary of State has decided to overturn the decision of the planning inspector whose recommendation was to approve our plans to regenerate Brunswick Quay.

"We will review the Secretary of State's reasons in detail and consider our next steps carefully. Maro remain committed to regenerate this gateway site."

Maro's plans for the South Docks at Brunswick Quay included a 52-storey glass tower, designed by Ian Simpson, who was responsible for the new Beetham Tower in Manchester, No1 Deansgate and the Urbis Centre. Plans included a boutique hotel, a large public piazza with shops and restaurants, as well as residential and commercial space.

Although it was the rejection of the scheme by Liverpool council planners which triggered the appeal, the city's cabinet member for regeneration, Cllr Peter Millea, was a long-term supporter of the plan.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...name_page.html

I wonder if they've decided to make a legal challenge? everyone seems supportive of it and shocked it got refused I hope they don't give up now.

EDIT:the tower would compromise views from The Rock Ferry conservation area well maybe Wirral Waters will block views of the Welsh mountains from a World Heritage site,they don't want to go down that road.

Everyone should send Maro a letter of support to encourage them as a matter of urgency it'll only take you a minute and let Warren Bradley know what you think while you're at it.Remember these zealots rejected West Tower originally so it's not a lost cause.

The Brunswick tower would appear considerably taller than the cathedral.
    This was one of her ridiculous reasons for rejecting it,I think she'll find that's what we call perspective we learnt about that in art lessons at school.

I think if Maro continue the fight they'll win because these reasons are a joke.

Blog Entries

Hope so Paul, its all a bit depressing. Are we supposed to know our place/ status in relation to the rest of the country? Scousers can't have our scrapers? We'll see.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Ruth Kelly on Liverpool's urban renaissance

LIVERPOOL is ready to become a leading European city that will rival places such as Milan, Rotterdam and Turin, communities and local government minister Ruth Kelly has said.

In a speech to a summit meeting of civic leaders from ten English cities, Ms Kelly said Liverpool had the chance to become "an engine of growth" for the region and a major international player on the international stage.

A independent report for government called State of the English Cities showed that Liverpool has experienced an urban renaissance since 1997, with strong economic growth, higher levels of employment and noticeable improvements to the local environment.

But it also concluded more was needed to be done if it was to become a city of European importance.

Ms Kelly said: "Our cities have turned the corner in recent years. In Liverpool, the big increase in the number of graduates in the workforce is supporting the growth of dynamic new economic sectors in the local economies.

"However, we know there is still much more to do. We must be ambitious and visionary. Liverpool has the opportunity not only to become an engine of growth for its region - a Rotterdam of the North West, but also to compete on the international stage.

"Over the next 20 years, with its diverse economic base, it should be looking to rival places such as Milan, Rotterdam and Turin in the international arena."

She added: "This is a new exciting time for our cities and regions.

"We in government need to look at devolving more strategic powers to cities and they need to have governance arrangements that provide a clear mandate to take the tough decisions.

"Being bold and strongly led, we can take our cities to the next level." Ms Kelly highlighted the Government's work to strengthen the urban renaissance at a summit in Bristol yesterday.

The Government is already working with a range of UK cities, including the 8 Core Cities, to help them develop "business cases" to deliver a step change in their economic, social and cultural performance.

Her speech is the clearest indication yet that the region will be viewed favourably by the Government's 2007 Comprehensive Spending Review. The Government also plans a parliamentary paper on the future of local government expected to push ahead with plans to create authorities serving wider areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    This was one of her ridiculous reasons for rejecting it,I think she'll find that's what we call perspective we learnt about that in art lessons at school.

I think if Maro continue the fight they'll win because these reasons are a joke.
    Yet Beetham Tower west will be taller than the Cathedral.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Yet Beetham Tower west will be taller than the Cathedral.
    But that is not blocking the view from Rock Ferry, so that is OK Even the Labour MP's consituancy the tower fell into supported the tower.

There is some ulterior motive behind this. It just doesn't all fit.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Hope so Paul, its all a bit depressing. Are we supposed to know our place/ status in relation to the rest of the country? Scousers can't have our scrapers? We'll see.....
    If it was a bland out-of-the-box design it would have gone through. Liverpool overshadowing London..or Manchester? Can't be son.

how it once was?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast