Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Brunswick Dock Area

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    "Studio Egret West (SEW) has been named on a four-strong shortlist to replace Ian Simpson on the doomed Brunswick Quay scheme in Liverpool, the AJ can exclusively reveal. The frustrated developer behind the project, Maro, has approached the former Will Alsop duo as well as BDP, Broadway Malyan and Liverpool-based DTR Ormrod to come up with fresh designs for the waterfront plot"
    Potentially great news, but lets wait and see. (Thanks for the update Paul)

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    Potentially great news, but lets wait and see. (Thanks for the update Paul)

No problem matey,if you're expecting anything like the last proposal though I think you should prepare to be disappointed,I can't see anything above 25 stories.They may even have a couple of towers of that size just to keep everyone sweet like they did with Central Village.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    No problem matey,if you're expecting anything like the last proposal though I think you should prepare to be disappointed,I can't see anything above 25 stories.They may even have a couple of towers of that size just to keep everyone sweet like they did with Central Village.
    To be honest I wouldn't mind if it was a low rise development as long as it's still iconic and unique. I don't think a building has to be tall for it to be great, it's the design and uniqueness that makes a building iconic.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if it was a low rise development as long as it's still iconic and unique. I don't think a building has to be tall for it to be great, it's the design and uniqueness that makes a building iconic.
    Yeah I agree,I'd settle for a couple of nice towers to be honest,as long as they make a decent impression on the skyline because it's a bit flat to the South of the Waterfront.I hope they don't approve something bland though because the original Maro effort was special.

PhilipG

It would certainly be unique (for today's Liverpool) if it was really tall.
    A reminder perhaps that Liverpool had the tallest office building in Europe for about 50 years!

kat2

Smile Brunswick

july24
    kat
    Last edited by kat2; 07-25-2007 at 04:11 AM.

kat2

Smile

photo taken July 24
    Brunswick area
    kat

South West Brunswick Dock shed...seems to be some internal demolition taking place (can be seen from riverside walk, as the road is blocked off).
    The funny thing about Brunswick Business Park is that it's mostly made up from Harrington and Toxteth Docks...except the little bit mentioned above.

SW Brunswick Dock shed. These are the last of the Brunswick Dock Sheds. I don't know yet if total demolition is taking place...but the next few days will tell.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25632502@N00/1198039358/

Yep, total demolition, was talking to one of the workies, (was a scouser!!!) There is a tower of some sort going on the site, though not as high as wanted. As I sit here and gaze at Snowdon,from my window, as this building will now block my view of the river and Wales. No doubt half the ( luxury apartments)?? shall remain empty. There is to be a gym of some sort there too. The lease is up on the rest of Brunswick business park, so more business's will be leaving and more (luxury??) apartments appearing!!

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    Yep, total demolition, was talking to one of the workies, (was a scouser!!!) There is a tower of some sort going on the site, though not as high as wanted. As I sit here and gaze at Snowdon,from my window, as this building will now block my view of the river and Wales. No doubt half the ( luxury apartments)?? shall remain empty. There is to be a gym of some sort there too. The lease is up on the rest of Brunswick business park, so more business's will be leaving and more (luxury??) apartments appearing!!
    Yep! I work in the Brunswick Business Park, I'll not say where as to protect the innocent, but we are 'moving' to the Speke village some time next year.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

icon; recognizable symbol: a picture or symbol that is universally recognized to be representative of something
    Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

It is neither design nor 'uniqueness' that makes any thing iconic. The worst deisgned hospital on the planet can represent the health system whic operates it and is therefore iconic.

I don't understand how iconic and unique can be used in the same sentence. This is not simple pedantics. I am trying to understand what it is you want.

kat2

ponder this, for something to be iconic, it would have to be uneque, one of a kind, or another way the best in the field. Icon a symbol, a symbol of
    something could be deemed as iconic due to its unequeness. Doesnt matter what discapline you apply this too, ** except my spelling which is far from it! *g*
    kat

Far too often (especially tall) buildings are described as iconic where they are merely impressive in size.

They represent nothing and mean nothing, vide this Ian Simpson's Brunswick Quay proposal which looks remarkably like the Beetham Tower in Manchester, remarkably like his South Bank Tower and remarkably like three new towers in Piccadilly yet to grace this remarkably un-iconic 'skyline'

There are to intents and purpose identical; in no sense unique and really if they are iconic, what on earth do they represent?

Do we really want this meaningless rubbish in Liverpool which has a giant aspiration way beyond this lilliputian, one idea no hoper?

Being tall is no good enough; not good enough for Liverpool in any event.

kat2

Tall buildings in Liverpool have something to be iconic about, look for example at the views towards the welsh countryside, look at the fact that Liverpool over looks the River Mersey, what do the tall iconic buildings offer in Manchester? perhaps a look out over the city! but, then, how can this compare, if it was to be compared with the views of our natural geographic location, is that not unique?, to be fair with some of the Manchester scrapers, I think they got the status because they were the first in the area, but by no means architecturally the best. icon generally means a symbol.
    kat

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast