Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Brunswick Dock Area

Many thanks for your support. We are reviewing the decision and taking stock.

We are committed to redeveloping the site.

Kind Regards

Chris O'Brien
    I know everyone will have got this same reply but it's good too see they haven't cut their losses and run,they deserve credit for this.

Blog Entries

The Governmnet planning inspectors report and Ruth Kelly's report:
    http://www.saveliverpooldocks.co.uk
    Go to the Brunswick Quay page. Under Links in the centre yellow section

The inspector was diplomatically critical of the silly Liverpool Council, while praising the scheme on all points. He did not see the tower obscuring views.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I know everyone will have got this same reply but it's good too see they haven't cut their losses and run,they deserve credit for this.
    The only thing that concerns me about their comments is ' We are commited to redeveloping the site'. They don't say ' We are commited to this project'. This suggests that they might cut back on the project and reduce the size of the tower, or even come up with a brand new scaled down project of less quality. I hope they don't give in!

Blog Entries

Default Maro meeting Council

From Daily Post

Meanwhile, Maro, the developer wanting to create the tower at Brunswick Quay, is seeking a meeting with city council leader Cllr Warren Bradley and council chief executive Colin Hilton.

Maro wants to know if the £100m project can be rescued, and is also considering whether to legally challenge the decision by Ruth Kelly to refuse permission.

A source close to Maro said: “The meeting will aim to determine whether there is merit in submitting a modified project that would be endorsed by the city council.”

how it once was?

FKoE

It'll be great aye.. Walking through the precinct to the benifits office, or your place of work, from the area you have lived all your life. This will really be of economic value to the area once they fence in this gated community.

Blackpools tower is 518ft tall and is the highest viewing stage in the UK.

Tall structures do not equal wealth or benefit to the communities living in its shadow.

Default Hand Ruth Kelly an Eyescraper...!!!

I hope it's true that Maro, the developers want to rescue their Brunswick Quay skyscraper project and are now demanding further meetings with city council leaders, Warren Bradley and Colin Hilton.

But there should be no question of that dread-word "modification" setting in - on this, as it has in so many earlier projects...!

Maro SHOULD maintain their determination to achieve lift-off according to original proposals...! - and MUST be encouraged to challenge Ruth Kelly's preposterous opposition with the sheer irrefutable logic of their case.

Frankly, I doubt that she's even looked at the site... Certainly, I'd be very surprised if she has any idea how far away the proposed building is from the "Three Graces" - OR how relatively small the World Heritage Site really is...! I'll bet she thinks it's THE WHOLE OF DOWNTOWN LIVERPOOL...!!!

Ruth Kelly must not be allowed to stifle Liverpool's ("Growth Engine") with such a shameless unimaginative piece of legislative ignorance...!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHurts View Post
    I hope it's true that Maro, the developers want to rescue their Brunswick Quay skyscraper project and are now demanding further meetings with city council leaders, Warren Bradley and Colin Hilton.

But there should be no question of that dread-word "modification" setting in - on this, as it has in so many earlier projects...!

Maro SHOULD maintain their determination to achieve lift-off according to original proposals...! - and MUST be encouraged to challenge Ruth Kelly's preposterous opposition with the sheer irrefutable logic of their case.

Frankly, I doubt that she's even looked at the site... Certainly, I'd be very surprised if she has any idea how far away the proposed building is from the "Three Graces" - OR how relatively small the World Heritage Site really is...! I'll bet she thinks it's THE WHOLE OF DOWNTOWN LIVERPOOL...!!!
    see:
    http://www.saveliverpooldocks.co.uk
    Go to: the Brunswick Quay page. There are links to the government planners report which was complimentary of the building and site and stated that the site was ideal for a tall building.

Ruth Kelly must not be allowed to stifle Liverpool's ("Growth Engine") with such a shameless unimaginative piece of legislative ignorance...!!!
    The history of the past 100 years has been the south supressing Liverpool by various means. This is just another.

how it once was?

the whole saga is a nonesense it must have cost Maro millions and all because ms kelly is worried how it will look from the wirral.

I suggest that the next big development be a huge double sided mirror in the mersey so we can enjoy views of our fair city.... i wonder how the wirral would feel about that>? Maro is not such an eyesore anymore !!

Architect quits over ‘diluted’ iconic tower

ARCHITECT Ian Simpson yesterday accused Liverpool City Council of lacking ambition as the Daily Post learned he had parted company with Maro Developments.

Maro, which wanted to build an iconic tower on Liverpool’s waterfront but had its plans rejected by government minister Ruth Kelly, is proposing what Mr Simpson described as a “watered down” replacement scheme in order to gain planning permission. The full details of the new scheme are expected to be ready for unveiling within a few weeks.

Mr Simpson was responsible for the design of what would have been Liverpool’s tallest tower – a 51-storey building on Brunswick Quay.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/t...name_page.html

PhilipG

ARCHITECT Ian Simpson yesterday accused Liverpool City Council of lacking ambition as the Daily Post learned he had parted company with Maro Developments.

Maro, which wanted to build an iconic tower on Liverpool’s waterfront but had its plans rejected by government minister Ruth Kelly, is proposing what Mr Simpson described as a “watered down” replacement scheme in order to gain planning permission. The full details of the new scheme are expected to be ready for unveiling within a few weeks.

Mr Simpson was responsible for the design of what would have been Liverpool’s tallest tower – a 51-storey building on Brunswick Quay.

If only we had city planners like we had 100 years ago.
    They OK'd the Royal Liver Building which was the tallest office block in Europe until after the Second World War.

Angry

I would rather they left the site empty for a few years than put up a scaled down version. This is a prime site for something tall and iconic, not just another low level building. Ruth Kelly is simply backward, and the council are pathetic. This was refused because it was too close to the WHS but beetham tower which is in the WHS was given the go-ahead. What are they thinking? I really don't understand how they think. Brunswick tower is the ideal project for this site. I urge everyone to write to the council and to Maro to express your feelings. If the new version is another bland, boring building, then the site must be left empty for future generations.
    Last edited by AK1; 01-17-2007 at 03:21 PM.

scouserdave

ARCHITECT Ian Simpson yesterday accused Liverpool City Council of lacking ambition
    What was that Monty Python (or Fawlty Towers?) quote? He has a degree in the Stating the Bleeding Obvious!

Would of been a great night picture If It wasn't rejected.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Innovative tower plans worthy of waterfront site

MARO Developments yesterday defended plans for its Brunswick Quay tower, describing how its redesign would be "innovative, imaginative and worthy of the key waterfront site".

Concerns were raised by the former architect on the scheme, Ian Simpson, who said there was a danger the development would be a "watered-down", "much less ambitious, non-iconic" building than was originally planned.

I still reckon we'll get a great tower or two for this site but I'll always think of what might have been,unless it/they are a truly great design.

"Studio Egret West (SEW) has been named on a four-strong shortlist to replace Ian Simpson on the doomed Brunswick Quay scheme in Liverpool, the AJ can exclusively reveal. The frustrated developer behind the project, Maro, has approached the former Will Alsop duo as well as BDP, Broadway Malyan and Liverpool-based DTR Ormrod to come up with fresh designs for the waterfront plot"

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast