Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Origin of the Name "Old Swan"

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Hi Steve. I don't know if I remember the wishing well or just was told it had a wishing well. I remember passing it on my way to Baden Road (Grandparent's house where my mother grew up) I am definitely connecting that church with a wishing well. I certainly don't remember being baptized!

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi all

This may have been discussed before, and if so I apologize. But I was wondering what might be the origin of the rather odd but colorful name Old Swan. Does anybody know?

Chris
    I often wondered about Cabbage Hall?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garstonian View Post
    I often wondered about Cabbage Hall?
    Cabbage Hall is named after a mansion house that stood on the site in the 1800s. On the 1835 Bennison map of Liverpool it is shown as having John Broadbent living there. Previously the solicitor 'Mr Moss' lived there.

The house and grounds were located from the corner where the current pub is right the way up to just opposite Holy Trinity Church. If you go along St Ambrose Grove there is an old red standstone house that looks slightly out of place... I believe that is the original entrance lodge for the grounds.

How about little bongs?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Hi Roni,
    had a quick look,and found these,including a couple of St. Oswald st. itself!

photo's courtesy of L.R.O. and St. Oswalds?
    Good lord, i remember those tenaments which used to exist on the Tesco site! I was a very little Max back then.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Yikes, I don't remember tenements at all. We got the bus, we went to the bottom of Park Road, by the Cinema and got a bus there to Prescot Road (I think) and walked to Baden Road.
    I liked it there. Had a whole set of friends there as well as my own neighbourhood. There was a bombed site 'bricky' and we used to collect match boxes and go there and bury the worms (there was grass growing among the bricks) in the matchboxes, bury them, make little crosses for the graves and say a prayer! I always remember this as 'sweet' but now wonder why there were so many dead worms? Did the boys kill them and girls bury them? It all seems so macabre now I have thought of that.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    How about little bongs?
    I don't know how true this is...

'Knotty Ash is also rumored to be mentioned in the nursery rhyme The Owl and the Pussycat, in the line "to the land where the bong tree grows". The bong tree is rumored to be the knotted Ash tree which once stood by an ancient row of cottages called the little bongs'

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Knotty_Ash

Blog Entries

Arabella McIntyre-Brown's book Liverpool: The First 1000 years suggests that 'no-one knows the origin of the name Little Bongs' - I would dispute this as the book is a rather poor excuse for a local history book, it's riddled with errors and indeed on the same page says that Aigburth is the Druid name for a grove of Oak trees.*

Derek Whale also says the name is lost in the midst of time but suggests that it just means 'Little Cottages', I am inclined to agree with this.

I've also discovered an area in Manchester which used to be called 'Caley Bangs' im thinking that 'Bangs' and 'Bongs' are cognates (words that have the same origin) but what they mean I don't know. I've got some great minds working on this at the moment ! ! !

*Aigburth does indeed refer to Oak tress but means 'Hill of the Oak Trees' - not 'grove' and what is even worse is that there is no such thing as a 'Druid' name. The druids died out in the 2nd century AD and probably spoke Brythonic language - the name Aigburth is a hybrid of Old Norse [Aig] and Old English (Anglo Saxon) [-burgh] and is from a later period. It's quite a shoddy piece of work really.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Hi Roni,
    had a quick look,and found these,including a couple of St. Oswald st. itself!

photo's courtesy of L.R.O. and St. Oswalds?
    Am in my 30s, i remember the the flats. If you watch the film 51st state with Ricky Tomlinson and Samuel jackson, you will see a 'blink and you miss' scene with the flats.

The church scene in the 51st State was filmed in St. Oswald's.

Quote Originally Posted by JMLE View Post
    I don't know how true this is...

'Knotty Ash is also rumored to be mentioned in the nursery rhyme The Owl and the Pussycat, in the line "to the land where the bong tree grows". The bong tree is rumored to be the knotted Ash tree which once stood by an ancient row of cottages called the little bongs'

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Knotty_Ash

Thank you JMLE and Fortinian.

Ken Pye in his Discover Liverpool book and dvd also mentions this which could be a re-hash but am I right in thinking though that if the bong tree is rumoured to be the knotted Ash which once stood by an ancient row of cottages that were already called the little bongs then that doesn't tell us which came first?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

A DeLorean going over 88 miles per hour and all the mysteries could be solved

Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    Cabbage Hall is named after a mansion house that stood on the site in the 1800s. On the 1835 Bennison map of Liverpool it is shown as having John Broadbent living there. Previously the solicitor 'Mr Moss' lived there.

The house and grounds were located from the corner where the current pub is right the way up to just opposite Holy Trinity Church. If you go along St Ambrose Grove there is an old red standstone house that looks slightly out of place... I believe that is the original entrance lodge for the grounds.
    I passed it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Yikes, I don't remember tenements at all. We got the bus, we went to the bottom of Park Road, by the Cinema and got a bus there to Prescot Road (I think) and walked to Baden Road.
    I liked it there. Had a whole set of friends there as well as my own neighbourhood. There was a bombed site 'bricky' and we used to collect match boxes and go there and bury the worms (there was grass growing among the bricks) in the matchboxes, bury them, make little crosses for the graves and say a prayer! I always remember this as 'sweet' but now wonder why there were so many dead worms? Did the boys kill them and girls bury them? It all seems so macabre now I have thought of that.
    Hi Roni,I'm surprised you dont remember St. Oswald Gardens,so,about what period did you live there,as I guess the flats went up in the 30's? Here's a couple of pic's,before,and after they were built!(I've been told by a guy in the pet shop,in Prescott rd,that there's been a shortage of worms,in the Swan,for many years!) Steve.

courtesy of L.R.O.

Default Black Horse Inn, Old Swan

Anyone got any photos of the original Blackhorse Inn which was on the opposite side of Blackhorse Lane from the present large pub? Here's the newer pub:

http://www.pub-explorer.com/merseysi...rseoldswan.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast