Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton New Stadium

Roll on Kirby. The sooner the move in the better.
    Yes I agree roll on Kirkby both clubs are too big for a shared stadium,that's small time thinking IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Yes I agree roll on Kirkby both clubs are too big for a shared stadium,that's small time thinking IMO.
    Just the opposite, I think, Paul. Retaining two stadiums seems provincial and small minded to me. But you might be right that Cannon is offbase and the Dubai investors might not make a shared stadium a criterion for investing in Liverpool.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    The Stanley Park project only received planning permission on the basis of LFC having sole use. If it was shared, the whole process would have to be gone through again.

LFC's standpoint is that they want to own any stadium they play in, although I dont think EFC can afford to be so choosy. EFC could theoretically rent a ground from LFC every fortnight, but I can't see their pride allowing that to happen. Although a LFC takeover is imminent, I'd be amazed if they went back to the drawing board over plans. Parry and Moores have been seeking the right deal for years, Stanley Park is dubbed the Parrybowl by some LFC fans who think he's been pursuing that to the detriment of team development. He wants to see that happen and I cant see him finally allowing the club to be sold to someone who'd relocate away from Anfield.

With respect to Tom Cannon and his inistence that LFC and EFC groundshare, why is it only in Merseyside where this is being advoacated. Are we not big or important enough to have more than one world class stadium. North London alone will have three when the olympic stadium is built and thats before Spurs expand. Manchester has two, Glasgow has three, Tyne and Wear has two, Cardiff will have two if Cardiff City go ahead with expansion.

Whats good enough for other connurbations is good enough for us if the clubs can finance matters.

FKoE

Lets think a mo'.

What other clubs in the English leagues share a history like Everton and Liverpool?

The two areas most representative of the clubs lay in the north end of Liverpool. But suddenly its ok to situate the club miles outside the city of Liverpool!!?

If we had built a 'Mersey Stadium' on the Riverside, would it mean these clubs would have had to merge, because they had a shared stadium and had lost their distinct identities?

I think all grounds have an away and a home end. We could have done away with that bos, and had a Everton end and a Liverpool end at the Mersey stadium. We had an opportunity to lead the way in these islands, but instead we chose to reinforce the differences, differences of a type which still affect clubs like Celtic and Rangers to this day.

I'm supporting Tranmere next season

They will never share a stadium. Liverpool's new stadium has the go-ahead and could start construction as early as spring next year. Everton's new stadium virtually has the go-ahead and frankly, we don't want to share a stadium. It is not an option.

Everton stadium plans submitted

Initial proposals for a new Everton Football club stadium have been submitted to a Merseyside Council.
    The club plans to build a 55,000-seater ground in a development that will also include high street shops, a hotel and a Tesco supermarket.

Its preferred site is in Kirkby town centre, off Cherryfield Drive.

Knowsley Council has pledged that the public and local business will be closely involved with the planning process as it progresses.

Everton FC said an alternative to Goodison Park would increase capacity and improve corporate facilities.

The club's last plan to relocate to a 55,000-seater waterfront stadium at King's Dock, Liverpool, was abandoned in 2003.

Councillor Eddie Connor said the plans were at a very early stage.

"There is a lot of work to be done before any initial ideas are formed into something more definite," he said.

"We will be asking residents to help us shape the plan in order to give them something that will bring real and long term benefits to their town."

http://www.keioc.net/index.php?page=Home

Did Bill Kenright design it while drunk?

They missed a big chance with the Kings Dock scheme, mind if that had been 70,000 plus rather than 50,000 would have preferred Liverpool to move there (biased as if) as plenty more decent pubs there than the ones around either current grounds.

All for the sake of £30 million out of what would have been a £300 million scheme. Stupidity at its best againgst our blue cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_hall View Post
    All for the sake of £30 million out of what would have been a £300 million scheme. Stupidity at its best againgst our blue cousins.
    It would seem that way but, neither Everton Football Club or it's major shareholder, Bill Kenwright had that kind of money at that time. It sounds a paltry sum but if you don't have it or the means (leverage) of getting it then you are screwed. Peter Johnson left Everton in extreme financial difficulties. He leveraged the club to the hilt and left the new owner with very little to work with. I am sad that the club may leave the city of it's birth but, am also resigned to the fact that every modern club needs a benefactor, or two, and just glad that Everton's benefactor is also an Evertonian to boot.
    Help find Madeleine

Can't remember the name of one of your board, but he had more than enough to cover the 10% stake but didn't get on with Kenwright.

It will be a pity if they do move out of the city but it will give me hours of fun taking the piss out of numerous old mates

Can't remember the name of one of your board, but he had more than enough to cover the 10% stake but didn't get on with Kenwright.
    But he, Paul Gregg, refused to lend Everton the money. Nothing new in this, it's business. You can't, or shouldn't, use a businessman's lack of investments to ridicule the followers of a team. That's like ridiculing employees when they lose their job because the owner can't, or won't, advance the funds to keep the concern open. And just what kind of input do any fans have to their clubs today? Everton is probably better off, financially today than most Premiership clubs and it's still in Liverpool hands. It is not as successful on the field as Manchester United or Chelsea but it isn't in as much debt as either of those clubs. And football being a cyclical kind of thing I'm sure that one day both Manchester United and Chelsea will fall from their lofty heights and some other clubs will be in the ascendancy. That's not just the way of football, it's the way of the world. Amen!
    Help find Madeleine

We can only hope mate.

Aye i know that its a business world, but it was a massive missed oppurtunity at the price, especially with the costs associated with new grounds even at that time. Kenwright should have pulled in some favours as he knows a few people with cash.

Still time will tell, not sure if i agree with Everton fans trying to scare the locals in Kirkby today by saying they'll be trouble and showing them footage of the kickoffs with Man u fans. Afterall it is only once aseason.

Aye i know that its a business world, but it was a massive missed oppurtunity at the price.
    No, not really, if the money, even though a "paltry" sum, was not available then the opportunity wasn't there and, Everton did ask for time so it could try and raise the funds but Liverpool City Council, Liverpool Vision and the Northwest Developement Agency refused to allow any further time. Contrast that to the time permitted for the other club to get it's financing in order. Also, Everton had been mismanaged both on and off the field. On the field by an inept manager and off the field by a supporter of another club who enriched himself on Everton's assets. The Everton fans, every bit as loyal as those who support rich foreign owned clubs like Manchester United and Chelsea, are the losers, big time and it looks very much like the City of Liverpool will also be a loser by losing, probably the oldest, icon of local business from the city landscape. This, in some quarters, might be seen as a reason to gloat but, has nothing to do with football. Everton, like other clubs, went through a very dark period, with relegation a real possibility each and every season for a very long time. Luckier than some clubs who actually got relegated from the top flight and wandered, rudderless, for years in the netherlands of English football, Everton were lucky to maintain their top flight status. That period is, hopefully, behind the club.

When I was a child, teenager and young man our rivalry (Blue & Red) was about football players; Lello, Buckle, Farrell, Labone, Young as opposed to Balmer, Liddle, Stubbins, Yeats, St John, whereas today it is dirty sly digs at everything other than football. Everything is fair game to some, managers, owners, shareholders, wives, children, mothers, brothers, sisters as well as the players themselves. And some fans think they are the worlds best and no other fans have equal fervour, all a delusion I'm afraid. Each team in each sport has fanatics (were the word fan comes from), for example, I have a neighbour who takes his vacation every spring just so as he can travel to Florida to watch his beloved Blue Jays in their spring training camp in Dunedin, FL. then attends every home game and as many away games as he can get to. His devotion to his team is equal to any Manchester United, Chelsea or Everton fan I have met.

I know there is no going back and I think it was Thomas Wolfe who said you can never go home but, I still wish for a return to civility, if not in football as a whole, then definitely in my home town. Wishful thinking, I know.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 06-27-2007 at 03:02 AM.
    Help find Madeleine

Still time will tell, not sure if i agree with Everton fans trying to scare the locals in Kirkby today by saying they'll be trouble and showing them footage of the kickoffs with Man u fans. Afterall it is only once aseason.
    Are you saying there wouldn't be trouble or is that just an oppinion? And afterall, "once a season" can be more than enough if you, or a loved one, is in the wrong place at the wrong time. And it is a possible factor that needs to be considered if one is to make an educated assesment of risks and rewards involved. I doubt that niether Knowsley Council, Tesco or Everton Football Club would bring up the subject but, it is a valid factor that has to be considered.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 06-27-2007 at 01:07 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    Are you saying there wouldn't be trouble or is that just an oppinion? And afterall, "once a season" can be more than enough if you, or a loved one, is in the wrong place at the wrong time. And it is a possible factor that needs to be considered if one is to make an educated assesment of risks and rewards involved. I doubt that niether Knowsley Council, Tesco or Everton Football Club would bring up the subject but, it is a valid factor that has to be considered.
    No i'm not saying there wouldn't be trouble, but they seem to have suggested it will happen, so if a new plot is found in the city will they then say the same again. I very much doubt it.

No i'm not saying there wouldn't be trouble, but they seem to have suggested it will happen, so if a new plot is found in the city will they then say the same again. I very much doubt it.
    Politics!!!! And don't all advocates publish only what they want you to know? Is this somehow unique to Everton fans? Do you blame them for manouvering for position? I'm positive every other group would do the same, I'm also sure that none of the other parties will fail to point out what they think are the positives of moving to Kirkby and, will certainly broadcast the negatives of staying in Walton. You wouldn't be so naive as to think they wouldn't, would you?
    Last edited by Sloyne; 06-27-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast