Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yer must remember this

George

Default Yer must remember this

Fried bread fried in dripping for breakfast

When me ma didn't have enough for eggs somedays she'd fry some bread for breakfast before I went to school.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

I remember 'fried bread' don't know about the dripping.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    I remember 'fried bread' don't know about the dripping.
    Thats what the bread was fried in.

I thought it was fried in butter! When my uncles used to eat everything in the house, my Grandmother used to say, " You will have bread and dripping for the rest of the week" But, she always just bought more food!

Everything was fried in dripping when I was a kid - nothing tastes the same these days fried in oil - especially chips!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    I thought it was fried in butter! When my uncles used to eat everything in the house, my Grandmother used to say, " You will have bread and dripping for the rest of the week" But, she always just bought more food!
    Butter,BUTTER!!! You must have been loaded! We thought we were in heaven, with "Echo" margarine!(Well,not really)

The best of dripping was when you turned over the dripping in the roasting tin and it was brown and full of blood and bits of meat,great on bread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

When me ma didn't have enough for eggs somedays she'd fry some bread for breakfast before I went to school.
    I can't remember anything like that. Fried bread is still quite normal in full English breakfasts.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I remember my mother eatting fried bread in dripping.. She would roast some beef up, take the drippings and fry the bread in the pan.. I actually liked the taste.. She was from Brazil, and fried banana was a treat too..

Now, I am a vegetarian, yet, I do fry bread sometimes in butter.. yum and fattening..

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    I remember my mother eatting fried bread in dripping.. She would roast some beef up, take the drippings and fry the bread in the pan.. I actually liked the taste.. She was from Brazil, and fried banana was a treat too..

Now, I am a vegetarian, yet, I do fry bread sometimes in butter.. yum and fattening..
    I am a vegetarian too. Although 'grilled cheese sarnie' does not sound fried, it is really isn't it (I have one every now and then.) They go on the metal thing (they say grill here but it is not the grill we think of with the flame ABOVE) with oil.

Blog Entries

The Italians dip bread in olive oil. I suppose the same. Some people have fried bread in vegetable oil not animal fat. Frying bread in dripping sounds awful and unhealthy......well I suppose it is, yet others say it is not unhealthy. Yet frying bread in vegetable oil must be healthy enough.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

I love fried bread. I'll look forward to having some when I'm in the UK in October.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The Italians dip bread in olive oil. I suppose the same. Some people have fried bread in vegetable oil not animal fat. Frying bread in dripping sounds awful and unhealthy......well I suppose it is, yet others say it is not unhealthy. Yet frying bread in vegetable oil must be healthy enough.
    Here's a little info on Olive oil.. Canola oil is the least fattening in frying up chicken, etc.. and better than vegetable in choice of others.

The frying of bread in drippings will not harm ya.. if you don't eat tons and tons.. everything in moderation, as the old saying goes.. Enjoy whichever method you choose.. Fried bread is Yummy!

The greatest exponent of monounsaturated fat is olive oil, and it is a prime component of the Mediterranean Diet. Olive oil is a natural juice which preserves the taste, aroma, vitamins and properties of the olive fruit. Olive oil is the only vegetable oil that can be consumed as it is - freshly pressed from the fruit.

The beneficial health effects of olive oil are due to both its high content of monounsaturated fatty acids and its high content of antioxidative substances. Studies have shown that olive oil offers protection against heart disease by controlling LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels while raising HDL (the "good" cholesterol) levels. (1-3) No other naturally produced oil has as large an amount of monounsaturated as olive oil -mainly oleic acid.

Olive oil is very well tolerated by the stomach. In fact, olive oil's protective function has a beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis. Olive oil activates the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones much more naturally than prescribed drugs. Consequently, it lowers the incidence of gallstone formation

George

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    What you must remember here is we are talking about late 50's early 60's,we didn't have this nanny state we have today I don't think vegatable oil was heard of back then? ya was poor and ya had what was put in front of yer otherwise ya went to school wiv ya belly rumbling.

Ya sure did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast