Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Duke Street - Rope Walks Areas

FKoE

One of the issues is Harry .. The Mathew st event is organised, and well policed. Drawing resources from other reas and neighbourhoods. my question is, should'nt the government be recruiting and employing more trained professional police officers rather than more volunteer community officers

Blog Entries

Default Duke Street Area

Duke Street area plus surrounding streets - 12th Feb 2007

Plenty more pictures here
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

Don't you have a day job Lad?

Very few people know this but Joseph Williamson's mum once lived in Duke Street!!

My first employment after leaving school was here >>>>>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ijob/38...7594532144257/

"Pagan Smith Advertising". Done all the line drawings for TJ,s - Owen Owen and Blacklers in the mid 50s.
    My (our) studio was the window, top right. Looked out of the window one day and thought 'what am I doing here, I should be out in the world'. A few months later I was a Merchant Seaman.

Fred.

Some tower crane shots from a warm summer evening...

Phred, You must have felt a bit sad to see the place all boarded up.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Phred, You must have felt a bit sad to see the place all boarded up.

Lou, I did not enjoy the job so I cannot sat I had any real interest in it or the building, but yes the whole of Duke Street does put a sadness in the heart.
    Fred

It's sad to see so many nice buildings looking like that, but I've seen workers coming in and out of there recently, so it looks like work may have started.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    It's sad to see so many nice buildings looking like that, but I've seen workers coming in and out of there recently, so it looks like work may have started.
    I was in Seel Street today.
    Quite a lot of renovation is going on there.

BTW, that little purple building next door to St Peter's was originally built for a vet.
    It looks in a very sorry state - I've always liked it.

Last edited by PhilipG; 02-14-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Seel House Press building on Seel Street. The building was purchased by Alias Hotels for conversion into a 70 bedroom townhouse style hotel, to be named Alias Hotel St Louis. The current status of this project is unknown, as the original proposal indicated an early 2006 opening. Rumours of a lack of grant funding suggest that the project may have been abandoned, and no work has begun on the site as of yet.

More on my site

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Police oppose nightclub plan

DEVELOPERS want to build a 1,000-capacity nightclub alongside Jongleurs.

But police are opposing the Frenson scheme because of the huge array of bars around Concert Square.

The scheme would convert a warehouse in Concert Street and Seel Street into a three-storey venue with bar and restaurant in a new complex called Concert Steps.

Sgt Paul Douglas, licensing officer, said: "Another big licensed premises will mean we have reached saturation point. If it was anywhere else, we would not be making any observations."

The development is part of a larger project by Frenson to build four new licensed premises around Concert Square.

Walkabout and neighbouring Mood were completed during the first phase. The Concert Steps nightclub would stand behind it.

Frenson said it would pay towards the policing costs if the club was approved.

Managing director Max Stone said: "The police's concern is not about licensed premises, rather the fact there could be too many for their own resources.

"But Liverpool council have zoned this area off for nighttime activities."
    So the police are actually AGAINST regeneration now?Do the police forget that we actually pay their wages in our council tax?
    This building looks terrible and mars the whole area
    Any other city would have approved this a long time ago.
    To think that 08 is only 11 months away and to have this building still derelict in a supposed cultural zone is unbelievable.

Furthermore the area is not at saturation point for clubs? Isn't the idea to try and attract more people into the city centre so as to improve the economy? If these developments are blocked then Liverpool will have a glass ceiling imposed like in so many other things.

We do have enough Night Clubs around that area already though so I don't blame the police opposing It. There the ones who have to sort out the mess If any trouble happens.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    We do have enough Night Clubs around that area already though so I don't blame the police opposing It. There the ones who have to sort out the mess If any trouble happens.
    Development has today been given the go ahead so I guess I win eh?

Blog Entries

HISTORIC Georgian terraces on the ECHO’s Stop the Rot list could be transformed if plans go ahead.

Proposals to regenerate town houses in Duke Street are recommended for approval at a city planning meeting.

If plans are approved on Tuesday, it will be the second green light for redevelopment of a Stop the Rot property owned by developer Frenson this year.

Last month it got permission to transform the old watchmakers on the corner of Seel Street and Slater Street.

The latest plan involves retaining four grade II early 19th century Georgian townhouses in a £10m redevelopment. It includes office space and restaurants in the 200-year-old buildings, and 35 apartments in the new-build.

English Heritage and Liverpool Vision welcomed plans but proposals to create a new six-storey residential development at the back of the site were fiercely criticised by campaigners the Georgian Group. They said its height was unacceptable “due to the immediate and highly visible impact it would have.”

But a report to councillors backs approval to bring an eyesore site in the historic Rope Walks back into use.

catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast