Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NWDA the enemy of Liverpool

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petromax View Post
    So are the NWDA the enemy of Liverpool and biased towards Manchester?

Political ideology and principles aside; As long as there are more MPs in Manchester that belonging to the government in power, Manchester will attract more investment and more money from government.

You can't eat ideology or principles.
    Firstly, Manchester is a very well run city. That is nationally recognised. They have run rings around Liverpool for sure., when Liverpool has more going for it. I have dealt with Manchester Council, in a small way, and was very impressed with them.

Then, as they are same colour as the government, they would naturally have the ear of them more than say Lib-Dems. Than is not to say Whitehall is intentionally favouring Manchester, it is just that they know each other more. That is life.

If Liverpool had a Labour council over the past 10 years I think Liverpool would be a much better city. Nothing against Lib-Dems, but this bunch have been a washout - just plain incompetent at times. No visions no nothing, lots of in-fighting. God help us if the Tories were in power in the city.
    Last edited by Waterways; 08-01-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

No comments on the European treaty i see.Its easy to ignore the mistakes of a Government,no matter who they are,I was just making a point,they are all not that they seem to be.Churchill may only have been good leading Britain during war time,but he was still a Tory(peace in our time,a statement also made by a Tory,a big joke)I do know my history,and labour made many huge changes that improved the lives of millions of Britons and that is a fantastic achievement.I'm not disputing what you are saying,I've just become immune to the bull that comes from Westminster.To say that Lib-Dems should be the second party is hardly democratic,we have to accept what we get,more votes(or seats)means power and we don't always like what we get.History does tend to repeat itself,so why are we in Afghanistan?Another waste of resources and lives,we may be closer to another world war than we'd like to believe,the foreign policy of successive governments has caused us many problems,no mater who is in charge.The middle east is a volatile place at the best of times,we are better off leaving it alone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boulter View Post
    No comments on the European treaty
    <snip disjointed opinionated babble>

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Broliv View Post
    I lost my job due to redundancy, the rules state i'm not entitled to job seekers because i live with my girl friend (therefore she can supposedly support me and her on less than 15k). I'm not entitled to contributions based help as i didn't make enough payments to my national insurance while i was a university student. Therefore i'm entitled to nothing after paying taxes on my wages for the last 9 years.

My girl friend is not entitled to tax credits because both me and her are under 25, don't have kids, are not separated, she isn't preggers, she works full time the list continues.

So that's why i have a gripe with the government.
    I find it hard to believe that you are not entitled to some, type, of benefit,though fortunately,I'm well out of touch with the benefits system!(up to now,anyway!)

I find it hard to believe that you are not entitled to some, type, of benefit,though fortunately,I'm well out of touch with the benefits system!(up to now,anyway!)
    I'm entitled to the government paying my national insurance contributions (of which i've taken up their generous offer) so effectively i don't get any money to live on.

If i wasn't living with my girl friend but moved back in with my parents i'd be entitled to job seekers allowance. I've been told that if i did that i'd be put under investigation to ensure i wasn't living with my girlfriend but claiming i lived with my parents. (my parents combined wage is 3 times more than my girlfriend's). I don't see the sense in the rules.

I don't think it's fair, i've asked for more clarification but i'm not holding my breadth as to receiving any thing from them

I can remember being in a similar position. I had savings!! Clearly, a criminal offence!! I would have been better off not saving it and having a good time with it; then getting full dole from the govt.

You've clearly worked and paid your NI contributions. Why should you be treated with less respect or less well than someone who hasn't or is not able to get help from a partner. And it's not just about money.

It does seem absurd that you can't get any financial support even though you've made contributions.their are thousands of people out their who have paid nothing yet receive more money in benefits that my wife and i earn,and we've always worked,we get nothing even with 4 kids.If i were you,i would live with my parents and stay with my girlfriend for the maximum time allowed under the rules,until another job turns up of course.

Maybe the days u're not allowed to stay with ur girlfriend, she stays with u at ur parents.

I assume u've been to the CAB and places like that.

Dunno if these links are of any use to u

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...edits-minimum/
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...redundancy.htm
    http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Hope u get things sorted asap

I would definitely seek advice, re' your situation,unemployed is unemployed!Have you been advised to claim social security benefit?(or whatever it's known as now!) That's the way it used to work,if you weren't entitled to unemployment benefit,you would have to make a claim to them,as obviously,you have to live on something! Phone your local d.s.s. office for info'!
    Steve.

Blog Entries

Can he be an asylum seeker?

how it once was?

That would guarantee a new house and wads of cash

Default Falling off the rail network

I think the biggest cause for concern for Liverpool in the coming years is the proposed high speed rail network.

All the proposals I have seen talk about new lines connecting Birmingham with Manchester and Leeds, then northwards on to Newcastle and Scotland.

Liverpool is not being mentioned, even when a cross country link is discussed, this would start at Manchester and cross the pennines through to Leeds.

It surlely is the beginning of the end for any city when it gets cut off from the rest of the country.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Pontoon View Post
    I think the biggest cause for concern for Liverpool in the coming years is the proposed high speed rail network.

All the proposals I have seen talk about new lines connecting Birmingham with Manchester and Leeds, then northwards on to Newcastle and Scotland.

Liverpool is not being mentioned, even when a cross country link is discussed, this would start at Manchester and cross the pennines through to Leeds.

It surlely is the beginning of the end for any city when it gets cut off from the rest of the country.
    Good point. However it is just talk right now. Merseyside MPs should unite to ensure Liverpool is is not by-passed. Also to get high speed comms to Liverpool as well.

At least Liverpool-Manchester is being electrified.

how it once was?

I think the problem Liverpool has is that it is too small a population base than compared to Merseyside. When you look at Manchester or rather greater Manchester they receive more (or its perceived) opportunities, investment, central government support.

From the 2005 statistics we have a greater population (477,600) compared to the city of Manchester (442,800). But when you look at greater manchester and the conglomeration of the various councils around that area you get a figure like 2,482,328. So because all their councils work together as one major area they get more.

Liverpool cannot fight against that, a greater Liverpool area could (1,480,234 includes Halton). By no means as big a population base but we'd have a lot more clout than we do at the moment.

We've already become a city region but everyone is still working for themselves.

Liverpool as one city is getting closer. I understand the borough leaders of Merseyside now meet at least as one 'board'. Manchester have had 'MIDAS' for some time - a single investment authority - but we are catching up. Our council is no less proactive than Manchester's; as a Liberal body, it just doesn't have the Labour government's ear.

Thankfully there are now fewer regeneration agencies in Liverpool and Liverpool Vision has taken the lead. It has produced a new economic prospectus for the whole region and is starting to commission 'cross-border' projects, particularly with Sefton. The new 'brand' is already 'Liverpool', neither Greater Liverpool nor Merseyside

'Merseyside' needs to be formally dropped (ie renamed 'Liverpool' under local government acts. Merseyside goes too well with depression and deprivation. It reminds people of the 80s, hubcaps and 'Militant' - and it rhymes with slide!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast