Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norris Green - 2009

Default Norris Green - 2009

I just want share some thoughts of my own about Norris Green; somwhere I've only recently become familiar with. Until not too long ago (I'm ashamed to say) I'd only ever passed through the estate a couple of times, and all I really knew - or thought I knew - about Norris Green was what I'd read in the papers. I'll admit, my view of the estate was largely very negative.

One thing that I always ask people though when they 'knock' our city is 'Have you actually looked around?'. Usually, they have formed their opinions from one news article or a negative story they have been told.

Anyway, the point of this is that since I met a girl from Norris Green, I've been spending quite a bit of time there, and - you know what - I've actually come to quite like the area. Sure, it's not without it's problems (but neither is any other area of Livepool, or indeed Wirral), but it ain't all bad.

I'd say that a great majority of the houses are well-kept, the shops I've been to are good and the people I've spoken to have been great - proper, true Scousers.

I've been having a read of the Norris Green website, which I've found very interesting - SEE HERE

I'll add some photographs this week too, I must take some photos of the fantastic shopping parades at Scargreen Avenue and Broadway. Now they would look great with a bit of money spent on them.

To me, this is a fascinating place. It's a brilliant example of 20s / 30s corporation development on a grand scale. I would love to have seen Norris Green in its prime, and I wonder now whether maybe one day there could be a return to those times.

I'm certainly glad I've discovered this thriving part of Liverpool, and I really would say to anybody that Norris Green certainly ain't all that bad...
    Last edited by Ross08; 05-13-2009 at 10:00 AM.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Nogsy shopping arcade is on my site from when it first opened. I have spent time around there in my life, first, going the baths with rellies of someone who lived in Gerard Gardens and latterly through another mate.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Well put Ross
    I am a Norris Green lad. I think the place is a dump. The bingo in Broadway is tatty looking. The shops behind the bingo are a disgrace too. The little "hut" shop is now closed and looking rough.Most of the shops in the strand are empty and as for Landford shops...a sunbed shop,a chemist and a chippy.Great!!
    That's just a tiny bit of Norris Green.

There are two little 'hut' shops aren't there, under the bridges? There's the one at Broad Lane - which I went in recently - and there's one by the roundabout at Townsend. That one looks like it's been closed a while.

The shopping parades are great though. I'd love to see them tidied up. Kind of Art Deco, aren't they? Late-twenties.

Blog Entries

Hi Ross,

Fabulous post mate, many thanks I enjoyed reading it [as I do most our threads on Yo! ]

Here's a bit of history, old pics and newspaper cuttings describing the problems that arose after the estate was built: http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3893
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Hi Ross,

Fabulous post mate, many thanks I enjoyed reading it [as I do most our threads on Yo! ]

Here's a bit of history, old pics and newspaper cuttings describing the problems that arose after the estate was built: http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3893

Cheers, thanks Kev - and an interesting link too...

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    There are two little 'hut' shops aren't there, under the bridges? There's the one at Broad Lane - which I went in recently - and there's one by the roundabout at Townsend. That one looks like it's been closed a while.

The shopping parades are great though. I'd love to see them tidied up. Kind of Art Deco, aren't they? Late-twenties.
    That's the one..by the roundabout. That is pictured on many old pics,shame it's gone to ruin. The swimming baths is well missed in the area. I spent most of my youth in there.
    It's a shame they got rid of those flats opposite the shops too. They used to look nice,better than the carpark that's there now.

There's not many old pics about of Norris Green which is a shame.
    I am still searching for pics of prefabs on Townsend Ave,they built bungalows not long after and they got knocked down only a couple of years later in the 60's and Jack Sharpes golf course.

Default Just another Nogzy day

Man shot in drive-by attack on streets of Liverpool Norris Green

A MAN was treated in hospital today after being shot.

The 21-year-old victim was attacked on Cottesbrook Road, Norris Green, just before midnight.

It is believed a car was seen driving around the area just before the shooting, which police suspect was carried out with an air weapon.

It is understood the victim was on the street alone when the car screeched to a halt nearby and something was shouted by one of the passengers.

It is thought a weapon was then fired from within the car before it sped off.

The dazed victim took a few seconds to realise he had been shot.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-24057234/

Another day another shooting.

Memories of Norris Green. Going to Broadway to Woolworths to buy some pickamix, Banners to buy records . The Regal every saturday , with Uncle Mac the compere. Going the baths, then to the `cafe` for a hot drink and sweets, which was the first shop at Broadway. New Years Eve everyone would congregate under Broadway Bridge. I always wondered what the symbol was daubed by the bridge, someone told me it was the BAN THE BOMB symbol. Which meant nothing to me at the time, well I was only about 10. Going in the library, which seemed so enormous to me. Going for our school meals to Strawberry Road, where we had to queue with other schools. Every evening we used to go to the `cottage` for more sweets, Sundays , going for the sunday papers to the hut next to The Broadway Pub. Think thats long gone now. The smell of Sayers, The electronic bells that used to play out tunes on a Sunday from St Teresas. Happy Memories.

They sure do seem like happy memories Linda. I went to the baths a few times with a lad and mates who'd moved out from Gerard Gardens.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    Memories of Norris Green. Going to Broadway to Woolworths to buy some pickamix, Banners to buy records . The Regal every saturday , with Uncle Mac the compere. Going the baths, then to the `cafe` for a hot drink and sweets, which was the first shop at Broadway. New Years Eve everyone would congregate under Broadway Bridge. I always wondered what the symbol was daubed by the bridge, someone told me it was the BAN THE BOMB symbol. Which meant nothing to me at the time, well I was only about 10. Going in the library, which seemed so enormous to me. Going for our school meals to Strawberry Road, where we had to queue with other schools. Every evening we used to go to the `cottage` for more sweets, Sundays , going for the sunday papers to the hut next to The Broadway Pub. Think thats long gone now. The smell of Sayers, The electronic bells that used to play out tunes on a Sunday from St Teresas. Happy Memories.
    That cafe Linda my mum used to run it. Woolworths was great. I thought the pic 'n' mix was free ?
    Banners ...great shop for all the electricals. The baths I used to almost "live in". I used to get in for nothing as I was there that often. The Norris Green restaurant is where I assume you had your school meals. That was where the school board was when I was a kid. Then it got burnt down and now there's a few houses there.
    The Hut and the Broadway pub are still there too although the hut is no longer in use.
    I used to hear the bells from the Crown church where I lived. Happy days which also seemed sunny

Two pics...
    The old tram pic you can see "The Hut" in the background.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00430.JPG 
Views:	2127 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	13175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uttingavenue.jpg 
Views:	1227 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	13176  

Blog Entries

Default BROADWAY

1955 WITH THE HUT AKA, SWEET SHOP, TAKEN FROM LRO WEB SITE

Thanks for putting up the pics, but I didnt mean that hut, although I did go to that one, I meant the other one (and depending on your age, you might not even remember it) it was right next door to the Broadway Pub, right at the side of the bridge (not the big bridge, as in your pic) and up a bit of an incline, think it is derelict land there now. If you dont remember it and your ever goin that way, you will see where I mean. .

Does anyone remember the little cottage as well, which was a tiny shop, cant think of the name of the road, but it brought you out onto towsend, near to where I have just spoke about, think its a private residence now, but me and my friend used to go there all the time, for sweets too. (No wonder I am a fat adult. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast