Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welsh community

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    Reminds me of that Iceberg joke .........
    D'you mean the one about the announcement at Loyd's of the tragic loss of the Titanic! ? and a polar bear at the back asks:'"Any news of the Iceberg"? (Apologies to Tom O'Conner!)

FKoE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ
    D'you mean the one about the announcement at Loyd's of the tragic loss of the Titanic! ? and a polar bear at the back asks:'"Any news of the Iceberg"? (Apologies to Tom O'Conner!)
    Close Normie!!.....but it was the one about the Seacombe ferryman, and the ultra-right winger.........

Oh!, and the Titanic and an Iceberg

Default Jones the Builder

Some time in the distant past, I posted an edited version of this story (with the author's permission) but as I can no longer find it on my drive, perhaps you would like to read the original...

www.anglesey
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Blog Entries

THE importance of Liverpool's Welsh heritage will be celebrated at a new exhibition launched today.

The city's Irish links are well-documented, but the Welsh also came to Liverpool in their thousands.

The Eloquent Suitcase exhibition is the result of a year-long initiative by Liverpool Community Spirit whose members have interviewed almost 100 people either with Welsh roots, or those who live in the city's Welsh streets.

Their stories are told through a new book, Welsh Roots/Welsh Routes, and the exhibition produced in partnership with Welsh photo-grapher and designer Phil Cope and composer Andrew Griffiths.

It was being launched in the 08 Shop in Whitechapel today.

Matthew Thompson, co-ordinator of Liverpool Community Spirit, said: "It provides powerful inspiration to all who reallycare about the future of our city's community roots."

The Welsh have been part of the history and development of Liverpool for centuries, and at one stage it was called the Capital of North Wales. Many came to the city to work in the docks.

The Welsh Presbyterian church in Toxteth, opened in 1868, reflected the success of the 19th century Welsh community and was known as the Welsh cathedral.

At the start of the last century Liverpool, Bootle and Crosby had a larger Welsh speaking presence than Cardiff, Wrexham or Newport and some of the largest Welsh non conformist chapels anywhere in the UK.

Many Welsh people lived in the Everton and Toxteth areas in what have been dubbed the 'Welsh Streets'.

Patagonian girl learned English as newly-wed

ELAN Jones only learned to speak English as a newly-wed in Liverpool.

The grandmother has lived in the city for 50 years with husband Richard.

But her roots lie neither in Liverpool nor in Wales, but in South America.

Mrs Jones's great-grandfather was one of the earliest Welsh settlers in the Patagonia region of southern Argentina.

He preceded even the SS Mimosa, which in 1865 sailed from Liverpool with more than 150 Welsh migrants bound for a new life in Latin America.

They helped establish a Welsh settlement which has survived to this day.

Former nurse Mrs Jones, 80, from Mossley Hill, said: "People wanted their independence and a place for the Welsh.

"I was born in Tirhalen, which means salty land. We had a farm with cattle, and alfalfa grass which grew 3ft tall. My first language is Welsh and my second Spanish."

Mrs Jones was working as a nurse in Buenos Aires when she had the chance to travel to Wales half-a-century ago.

There she met her future husband and they have lived in Liverpool since October 1956.

She said: "I've been back to Argentina a few times and it's changed like anywhere else.

"We speak Welsh at home here - you don't forget your Welsh heritage."
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

Talking

I can smell burning holiday homes!!

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    Don't start that one again! They'll be piddling in our reservoirs again. Oops, sorry Dai, your reservoirs.
    But then again, Dai won't be reading this — he can't read English!

Gnomie

do all 'ch 'n benffol ffola

FKoE

Talking

Erm!!...Nos Da Gnomie

do all 'ch 'n benffol ffola
    Yer wha', la? ...'ang on I'll ask our dog to take a gander at it, he's a Welsh Border Collie... and they were all Welsh speakers down on the farm, he might know!

er, Yakky Dar.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL'S Welsh community was out in force to celebrate its heritage at the Lord Mayor's annual Welsh Civic Service. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    Naughty FKoE
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

There was also Llanwrst street, Dingle. A few Welsh chapels/churches are mentioned at Toxteth.net e.g.
    http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...%20deniols.htm

Anyone interested in putting a football team in to represent Wales in the Inner City World Cup taking place in Liverpool in June please send me a PM.Its a big Football festival that we usually do in Regents Park but its coming to Liverpool and we would like all the different cultures and communities to be represented so please get in touch if you are interested and I will forward the full details.

The hub of the Welsh Community in Liverpool was St. Paul's Square off Old Hall street. Many resided around Pall Mall and many Welsh chapels were built.

Over the bridge (as it's known locally) around Athol street there were Barmouth, Menai streets to name but a few. The Goodison road streets begin with Oxton and go right up to near Arnot st school and spell out Owen and William elias owen (not owen hargreaves as Waterways said - he actually plays for England - (badly)

The Welsh streets of Dingle are well documented too of course.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

There are some Welsh named streets in Anfield .. can't think of all of them off the top of my head, but there is Corwyn, Berwyn, Bala, that spring to mind.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast