Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh community

I've found the Welsh streets thread.

Very interesting.

The Scottie Press web-site is great. I've looked into it a few times a while ago and each time I find something else new.

Fascinating stuff in there.

I've bookmarked it to read more in detail later.
    Last edited by lindylou; 07-05-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie
    there is a bit of info here on the Scottie press site...

http://www.scottiepress.org.uk/main.htm

I know that one part of Vauxhall named the streets in a certain way so that the first letters of each street would spell out names. they where built by Welsh workmen and looking at the map of the streets side by side, the first letter of each one would spell out Owens or Jones etc. I will look through my books for it and post it up.
    The terraced House along Goodison Rd opposite Goodison Park spell out Ownes and Hargreaves, the builders.

Masses of Toxteth were built by the Welsh, and hence the Welsh Streets with Welsh names. About 1/3 of all churches in Toxteth was a Welsh church.

Far more Welsh settled in Liverpool than Irish – hence the highly Welsh influences in the Liverpool accent. The Irish make noises where they go and, unlike the Welsh.

Outsiders think Liverpool is an Irish city on the English mainland for some reason. The Irish did have an influence but far from the most populous and most influential.

Gnomie

Jeeeeeeeeshus. me lot is all Irish

I agree waterways, not enough to mention the Welsh in this city

I think the Welsh and Irish deserve a mention in the city, but where would it stop if we started mentioning everyone? theres way too many people settled here, the list would line the mersey

I love these threads, great info being posted and so interesting learning the cultures. long may we keep discussing it

Yes Gnomie, I love learning about all the different cultures and people who settled here.

I heard the other day, someone talking about the sizable Swedish community
    we have here. I know we have a Scandinavian church.

I have relatives in Maghull, and many of their neighbours are Polish. Three generations. The Poles settled during the war years and have brought up their families in Maghull.

Gnomie

My friends grand parents are Spanish and came here in the 1930`s

Lots of Polish here in vicyorian times as well as a big Italian community

Me granny, on me dad's side was Welsh. Named Jones, so she had to be. . Me dads side was Scottisg, they were ships carpenters, settled on (I think, Epy St. By Scotty rd. )It's not there now. Mothere's side were 'black Irish, from Armada times. Wott a bloody mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    I think it was refered to as the 'Scousteddfod' at one point.

Anyways....

In 1813, one in ten people living in Liverpool was of Welsh origin, with many only able to speak Welsh.

Years ago, definitely up to the sixties, every Thursday was Welsh day. Which was the day people from Wales came over to Liverpool (via public transport usually) to spend the day, probably mainly shopping. T.J.Hughes and Owen Owens both two Welsh representations on the high street. I am not sure, but I think that Lewis' is also a Welsh company. The Welsh connection may have been more obvious in Liverpool previously, but with people owning their own cars and having more choice of shopping destinations, the tradition of Welsh day and other elements of the connection seem to have died off.

Many people in Liverpool were evacuated to Wales. My Nan who was pregnant during WW2 and was living in the Pighue Lane area was sent to Prestatyn with my Aunty, and my Mum ended up being born there. So the Welsh have come in useful for us Scousers through the years! There are so many people who have Welsh relations and connections with Wales that it won't be forgotten, but is a shame when traditions, such as, Welsh day are lost.
    Last edited by J.C.S. III; 07-10-2006 at 10:28 PM.

Default Polish homes in Maghull

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou
    Yes Gnomie, I love learning about all the different cultures and people who settled here.

I have relatives in Maghull, and many of their neighbours are Polish. Three generations. The Poles settled during the war years and have brought up their families in Maghull.

Yes, a lot of temporary housing was built for many, including The Polish. During the war people were evacuated out to Maghull, including refugees. Which seems really odd to me coming from Maghull, it is more built up now than back then, but seems so close to Bootle/Liverpool. Lots of people stayed to live here, but yes, the Polish presence that remained has been noted more than any other nationality. I am not sure if some of the properties were built with housing the Polish in mind.

I noticed that there is also a Polish food store on Picton Road, may be there is a Polish community in that area???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.C.S. III
    I noticed that there is also a Polish food store on Picton Road, may be there is a Polish community in that area???
    Polish club/church in Alexandra Drive, off Ullet Rd L17. Spent many a night there.

Blog Entries

A few of my friends have some Swedish in them. We found out looking though the records, one grt, grt or othet granddad married a Miss Lund (Norweigian name, as in Elsa Lund in Casablanca).

The Scandinavian connection is greatly understated in Liverpool. My Dad said they were called Scanweigians.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-11-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: The Welsh people's move to Liverpool.

Just thought i'd a a little light hearted aspect to this discussion! Both my wife and I have Welsh ancestry, and some years ago I decided to try and 'link them to my present family!! " What a job that turned out to be"!! with names such as, Jones, Hughes, Davies, and Roberts, I found I was constantly being confused and sidetracked to just about every town, village, or district in both Wales, and England!!! In the end I had to give it up! so I don't recomend the exercise to anyone!!

Incidently, I learned that most of my Welsh ancesters moved (over a nomber of years) from North Wales to the Wirral area, then on to Garston, most probably a migration caused by the need to search for work. Probably the docks and it's related industries in Garston, Birkenhead and Liverpool provided this. "Cymru am Byth" and regards to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways
    A few of my friends whas some Swedish in them. We found out looking though the records, one grt, grt or othet granddad married a Miss Lund (Norweigian name, as in Elsa Lund in Casblanca).

The Scandinavian connection is greatly understated in Liverpool. My Dad said they were called Scanweigians.
    hmmm, that's interesting. I didn't know Lund was a Norwegian name. The headmaster of Anfield jnr school is Mr Lund. Perhaps he's of Norwegian stock.

Come to think of it LUND does sound Scandinavian.
    Last edited by lindylou; 07-11-2006 at 06:20 PM.

FKoE

Scandiwegian Naval The general maritime slang name for a man or ship from Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Sometimes "Scowegian" or "Scandihoovian".
    Sco-wegian ?, Whys that ?

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/glossary/s.htm

Blog Entries

hmmm, that's interesting. I didn't know Lund was a Norwegian name. The headmaster of Anfield jnr school is Mr Lund. Perhaps he's of Norwegian stock.
    We had a few named Lundstrum around the area. Many Anglicised their names. A local family was named Campos. The “s” was put on to hide the Spanish origins.

Names ending in “berg”, would have the g turned to a “t”. So many names with “bert” at the end may have been originally German or Scandinavian. Many had the “berg” removed. Greenberg became Green. Same with “stein”. Burnstein became Burns, or Bernstein Became Berns. Etc, etc.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-11-2006 at 04:51 PM.

FKoE

Reminds me of that Iceberg joke .........

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast