YO! Liverpool
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 58 of 58

Thread: Liverpool's Toy Shops

  1. #31
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Used to love Hatto'ns little shop, they've gone up in the world a bit now. Old Mr Hatton only died last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOGO.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	10326  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  2. #32
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    There was a good toy shop on Breck rd during the 1960's called Toyland.

  3. #33
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Looking through the yellow pages just now, i'm amazed at the lack of an out and out toy shop barring ToyRUs.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  4. #34
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Model Zone in the precinct which was Beatties.





    .
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  5. #35
    George
    Guest George's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Model Zone in the precinct which was Beatties.
    Yep,always go there for my detailing brushes...much cheaper.

    There used to be a model shop up Bold Street..Stan Catchpoles if my mem serves me right? another was in Stanley Street,he used to have the shop in Clayton Square before it got demolished.

    Both have closed down now.

  6. #36
    George
    Guest George's Avatar

    Default

    Ok here's one for yer...

    There used to be a large toy shop on Walton Road past the shop the wranglers shop on the same side,the wranglers shop was owned buy a Jewish family and the toy shop was 2 blocks down? I used to go there every friday and buy a couple of animals for me zoo collection...that was about early 1960's mid 60's?

  7. #37
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yep,always go there for my detailing brushes...much cheaper.

    There used to be a model shop up Bold Street..Stan Catchpoles if my mem serves me right? another was in Stanley Street,he used to have the shop in Clayton Square before it got demolished.

    Both have closed down now.

    Yeah, City Models on Elliot Street was run by a Polish fella then it moved to Stanley Street down in the basement next to the barbers. Big Paul who sadly died had it then.

    The one in Bold Street moved into the Ace Place in Dale Street for a very short while before moving to Seel Street before it closed down.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  8. #38
    www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Does anyone recall a large toyshop at the top end of London road ? It was there in the late 80s.
    I bought a TCR racing car set there for the lad
    I remember this shop and I was asking my Dad if he remembered what it was called and he reckoned there wasn't a shop there. I remember waiting in line when the first eagle eyes action man came out and the same for Tommy Stone, the first, maybe only, black action man.
    I think that it may have been Harris' but I'm not sure.

  9. #39
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    There was T Lees up the top end that sold everything but not sure about Toys. I also remember a big warehouse type toy shop on Bold Street, the left hand side going up, past Slater Street on the opposite corner called King Kong. A big board cut out of the gorilla on the corner of the building. It just had a big centre space with counters on the 3 sides of the shop with high shelves all around behind the assistants.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  10. #40
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    There are pics of City Models, Elliot Street on this page of my site, near the top.

    http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41897456&cr=7


    .
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  11. #41
    Senior Member irishseashipping.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Yeah, City Models on Elliot Street was run by a Polish fella then it moved to Stanley Street down in the basement next to the barbers. Big Paul who sadly died had it then.

    The one in Bold Street moved into the Ace Place in Dale Street for a very short while before moving to Seel Street before it closed down.
    The owner of City Models was "Gerry Van Der Hoek" - Dutch not Polish who was still there at Stanley Street. However, he became involved in a Restaurant business on the Wirral if I recall and Paul took it over.

  12. #42
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I stand corrected irishseashipping.com
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  13. #43
    Newbie Glyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Ok here's one for yer...

    There used to be a large toy shop on Walton Road past the shop the wranglers shop on the same side,the wranglers shop was owned buy a Jewish family and the toy shop was 2 blocks down? I used to go there every friday and buy a couple of animals for me zoo collection...that was about early 1960's mid 60's?
    I think that was called Bascombe's. Not far from Arnot St Secondary Modern that became Alsop Lower School (eventually made way for a supermarket - wonder what happened to Fred Flintstone)

    Big treat; early 60's used to go to Bascombe's with my mum every month or so to get the latest Corgi car.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Rhoobarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    48
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Would this be the one smurf, another fave of mine.




    When I first started coming over the water it was to go their with my mates.

    It was a cracking shop.

  15. #45
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Wink Not many stores any more...

    ...and the ones that are there don't sell tools or bits-n-pieces.

    I bought a small Meccano model for my sister's grand-son last year, and his not too delicate fingers couldn't hold the little nuts in place in some of the corners of the model. Heck, that was the hardest part of Meccano when I was a kid too...

    So no problem, I'll just buy him a hemostat to hold the parts...



    I went all over Liverpool looking for one - specialty hardware stores and model stores - and never did find one. Even the model train store near Penny Lane didn't sell parts/supplies/tools for people to build their own stuff any more - just pre-packaged stuff.

    In the end I got one from our local Harbor Freight store and mailed it back along with my mum's car keys that I accidentally exported to the US...

    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ry=&q=hemostat

    I guess all of the modelers in Liverpool use mail order now...

    PS I don't think anyone in the thread mentioned the hobby store that was in Bold Street for a while - part of a chain, IIRC - update - it was mentioned...

  16. #46
    Pennylane
    Guest Pennylane's Avatar

    Default

    What a lovely thread , like Zappa , I can't recall any toy shops as a child either , there was a nice little one here in Formby called Delahunty's , but they closed the doors after many many years of trading due to high rents .. And probably awful cold souless places like Toys 'R' Us don't help small businesses to survive either ...
    I loved Georges account of himself going to buy animals for his zoo collection ..Aww George , And Ged's 'In brief ' reply was hilarious

  17. #47
    Member Lan02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Does anyone recall a large toyshop at the top end of London road ? It was there in the late 80s.
    I bought a TCR racing car set there for the lad
    Shop was called Harris'. At least two floors with a little room off one of them selling radio and sonic controlled cars. Big feature was the train set window display that had touch pads fixed to the window so that kids could start and stop the trains from outside. Must have closed mid eighties I guess.

  18. #48
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    What a lovely thread , like Zappa , I can't recall any toy shops as a child either , there was a nice little one here in Formby called Delahunty's , but they closed the doors after many many years of trading due to high rents .. And probably awful cold souless places like Toys 'R' Us don't help small businesses to survive either ...
    I loved Georges account of himself going to buy animals for his zoo collection ..Aww George , And Ged's 'In brief ' reply was hilarious
    I do remember Hobbies as my favorite store, and the 3s 6d that would regularly come out of my pocket money for Keil-Kraft rubber powered models.
    It was the first place I went to when my parents let me take the bus on my own into town...

  19. #49
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    my pocket money for Keil-Kraft rubber powered models.
    Are you sure you're not confusing hobbies with Ann Summers???
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  20. #50
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Are you sure you're not confusing hobbies with Ann Summers???
    I don't think Anne Summers was in business in the early 60's - and I can't remember any "frilly knicker" store windows in town us young lads could go stare at...

  21. #51
    Member bidston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    blimey, the dolls hospital, that's going back a bit, was in chester years ago and there was a toy museum there

  22. #52
    Senior Member johnny blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Merseyside
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Does anyone recall a large toyshop at the top end of London road ? It was there in the late 80s.
    I bought a TCR racing car set there for the lad
    Your right DD , Gerry Harris the son a colleague of mine.

  23. #53
    George
    Guest George's Avatar

    Default

    So no problem, I'll just buy him a hemostat to hold the parts...
    Eck! 40 years on and we still have ametuers on the Meccano constuction...a small magnet worked well for me whilst I screwed the screw into the nut.

    40 years on we have a new kind of magnet...its called the strip fridge magnet.

  24. #54
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I see from Johnny Blue's avatar that he's moving into wig wam chippendale glam now - only I believe the guitar doesn't have to be so big.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  25. #55
    Senior Member dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Third rock
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Great thread. I'm reliving some great childhood memories here.

  26. #56
    Pablo42 pablo42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wallasey
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I see from Johnny Blue's avatar that he's moving into wig wam chippendale glam now - only I believe the guitar doesn't have to be so big.
    He'd look stupid with his two incher...

  27. #57
    Senior Member az_gila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Eck! 40 years on and we still have ametuers on the Meccano constuction...a small magnet worked well for me whilst I screwed the screw into the nut.

    40 years on we have a new kind of magnet...its called the strip fridge magnet.
    Hey - I thought it was an achievement just to get him to build anything in this age of computers and video games....

    Modern kids just don't have the patience we had as youngsters...

  28. #58
    Pennylane
    Guest Pennylane's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Hey - I thought it was an achievement just to get him to build anything in this age of computers and video games....


    ADVERTISING




    Modern kids just don't have the patience we had as youngsters...
    That's so true , i used to sit for hours and hours , cutting out dolls clothes from the Twinkle comic .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Piano Shops, Manufacturers of Liverpool
    By dazza in forum Dazza's Liverpool History
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 01:00 AM
  2. Old Liverpool Toffee Shops
    By dazza in forum Dazza's Liverpool History
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!