Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clubmoor (in the 50's)

Default ammo train

Looks like I got it wrong about the train being on fire all the way from the docks.
    Almost everyone agrees that it was parked on the sidings at Clubmoor when it was hit. They moved it from the docks so it wouldn't get hit! I'm not sure which side of the line it was on, can't seem to find out.

I'm a bit unsure about who got a medal (probably a fella called George Roberts) but it seems that a lot of people acted extremely selflessly and managed to detach the back end of the train and shunt it away to stop it from catching fire. One of the men was off duty railwayman John Guinan from Witton Road who ran to help as soon as he heard the blast.

I still live in Glamis Road and spent many happy years playing on the black hills. Does anyone remember a large stone on the hill? I think it was about three or four feet long and sort of roof shaped. It was covering a hole with brick walls. You could just see inside it, I think it was just filled with rubble or something. I always said I would find out what it was but never did...

I didn't know about the medal. Did you know the names of people involved ?

There was a local butcher called George Roberts, wonder if it was a relative ?

My grandparents lived at 181 Lisburn Lane. They moved there in 1922 I think. Grandad ran Excelsior Sawmlls in Soho Street with his brothers.

They had a chunk of railway line in the back yard from that siding explosion, I remember mucking about with it as a kid. It blew all their back windows in.

It was my first home- my mum and dad were living there with her parents because they couldn't get a place of their own and I was brought back there as a newborn. We stayed until they got a little house in Ursula Street, Bootle.

My mum remembers the street getting strafed by a German plane, narrowly missing a baby in a pram outside a house opposite. She showed me a large circular tarmac patch in the playground of her school around the corner (can't remember it's name) where a bomb had dropped, forming a large crater. She got evacuated to Bala soon after that.

For unexplained reasons, my gran wouldn't let my parents stay in the house on Sundays so they had to walk the streets or sit in the park across the way all day... The place we moved to was rough compared to Lisburn Lane but my dad says he was very glad to leave!

The last time I took her to see it, my mum said the area had "gone right down" compared to the way it had once been..
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

I was brought up in Norris Green, by St Theresas Church, and me and my friend would often go for walks up to Clubmoor, we thought it was very elite there. . Knocklaid road was one of the roads I remember we used to walk down, and wasnt there a park around there? I seem to remember a park and I am sure it had a little bridge, we thought we were in the countryside. .

There's still a park off Adshead rd. I have pics of Knoclaid road and the surrounding streets here.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=50969832&cr=7

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ged.Thanks for that link, I perused alot of the pics, some where of more interest than others, I finally got to a pic of Scarisbrick Road, in Norris Green, taken on Coronation Day 2nd June 1953, it was showing a street party. All of a sudden an image of a familiar face stared out at me. I thought it was my best friend, but then realised that she wasnt born till about 56. It got me to thinking was it her mum, as my best friends lived there all her childhood and her mum had moved in there about 1950. And only ever seeing 2 pics of my friends mum when she was young,(although I did know her in later life) I had remarked at the time, how alike my friend and mum where. Anyhow I told my friend about this pic, who is going to take a look, she said even if it isnt her mum, it would be nice to see, because of the road and all the memories it holds for her. So thanks once again. and if anyone else has any pics of Scarisbrick road or Sedgemoor road(where I lived) I would be pleased to have a look. I will keep you informed, as to whether it is her mum or not, I know she would be so thrilled if it was, and would write to the Liverpool Echo Archives to see if she could have a copy of it.

Thanks Linda. As luck will have it, I uploaded that picture to this forum here just last weekend and it's on message No. 199 on this thread here if you want to right click it.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...yliving/page20

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Here's one of my postcards for Clubmoor but I dont know how old it is.

Cant seem to get my head around where this is. I know it says Carr Lane, but thats further up Utting Avenue East. Thats not the Broadway bridge is it?

Right, is it looking from under Broadway bridge, and behind that tram is where the 17 terminus used to be? Broadway being behind to the left?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12