Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clubmoor (in the 50's)

Default Clubmoor (in the 50's)

Clubmoor was a very green area compared to some other places. I was brought up on Knoclaid Rd. (tho. later my stomping grounds were Tuebrook, and all points.....) Within a couple of blocks from my house there was all kinds of parks and playing fields. The fields pretty well stretched to Walton Hall park, with just a few houses across from Walton Hall.
    The 'Tew' Brook was uncovered back then for the length opf Maiden lane, just climb a sandstone wall and you were in the brook. Along with the rats and other 'orrible stuff.. The other side of Maiden lane was Corpy 'ouses and behind them, another field, never much used untill the early 50's. Then, the Yanks from Burtonwood and Sealand started playing baseball there. Well on a Saturday afternoon the place was packed with kids. You know, it was like the 'grotto' we came away every week with baseball bats, maybe split a little, but a little tape soon had them fixed. We'd baseballs, cos maybe they didn't feel right to the pitchers, They'd just toss them out to the crowd. We'd get mits, maybe a little frayed at the edges, but wow, we could use them. Along with all that was getting up close to those yanky cars. The size, the fins, v8's it was heaven.

Blog Entries

A nice read, thank you Bobbymac

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

My family originated from Clubmoor, going back to early 1900's.
    My grandmother could remember when the Maiden lane area was quite 'countryfied' - lots of fields and greenery. Those were the days before any of the council houses were built, ie; Larkhill, Broadway, Norris Green.
    It was all farmers' fields then .. I expect that's why the local pub was called the 'Farmers Arms'
    The brook alongside the stone wall in Maiden lane was still in existence until 1960s I think. I can remember it when I was a kid. Can't quite recall when it was filled in - maybe late 60s/ early 70s ??

Also, my grandmother told me about the American troops marching up Townsend lane and stopping to rest on the grass.
    I believe that there were tanks housed in the Breckside park depot - have you heard about this Bobbymac? I think they went there for repair or something like that.
    Last edited by lindylou; 12-10-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Yep Lindy, you're right about the tanks both there and the field that ran along Richard Kelly Drive, I believe they were marshalled there to prepare them for shipping to Europe and Africa. Also, when the war was over, they came back to, the field on Richard Kelly anyway. I remember playing on them as a nipper. There was Tanks, Ack Ack guns, Landing craft, all sorts of stuff really. Then suddenly they all vanished. (Would have loved an Ack Ack gun for the back yard.)

Now it's raining I thought I'd mention that I've seen the brook at Maiden Lane flooded right out into the playing field. Good stuff for welly's.

Default clubmoor

Lindylou.could I ask you about the amunition train on fire at the clubmoor,what is the full sp .do you know about it? the kids from far and wide
    had prams and carts full of ammo taking it home as souvenirs.thank.edwardo

I live not far from maiden lane and remember the brook, flowing down to
    the metal grating the Townsend end. Still a lot of green around the area
    but I doubt for long, as the field has houses built on part of it now, just
    by the bridge.

My parents bought a big 5 bedroom house off Maiden Lane (it backed onto the field) in the late 60's. I remember them building houses on the other side of the bridge where there used to be a Parcelforce (or something like it) Depot. I used to watch the brook's level rising from my bedroom window and see the cars trying to make it through the water.There was only one other big house in the road next door to us as from there to the railway line was all newer houses, the streets with American States as names.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
    Lindylou.could I ask you about the amunition train on fire at the clubmoor,what is the full sp .do you know about it? the kids from far and wide
    had prams and carts full of ammo taking it home as souvenirs.thank.edwardo
    I have heard the story of the amunition train being blown up.
    The story I was told by my mother and grandmother, was that the explosion sent the debris flying in all directions - and at such speed that a train wheel smashed through the bedroom window of our family home at that time.

Hi.
    Further to the story of the ammunition explosion.
    I think it happened in May 1940. I was nearly four at the time.
    We were living in the corner house, as I remember it, in Cherry Close, off Cherry Lane, parallel to Queen's drive. The train was on the railway line close to Cherry Close.
    I have a memory of peeking over the edge of a table we were sheltering behind, and seeing the front windows imploding towards me illuminated from behind with a bright light.
    Just that, like a short, silent video — what came before or after — ?
    Love to hear more.
    Joge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cherry Close.jpeg 
Views:	1521 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	3150  

Hi,
    Further reading leads me to think the train explosion was a result of the May blitz in 1941 — which makes me nearly 5 when it happened.
    Joge

chippie

Hi Joge, does that mean that they were trying to get you then?

Just 'cause I'm paranoid don't mean someones not out to get me!!
    No! I'm just trying to understand when I was where I was when it all went BANG!!
    Joge

Default ammo train

I heard that the train was on fire at the docks and was driven away to avoid planes targeting the docks. Apparently the driver got a medal for bravery.
    I'd love to hear the full story.

There would have been something about it in the local newspapers at the time. Would be interesting to read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast