Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks for the great pics, Taffy! The pictures are sad and I still have to wonder why they had to demolish the area wholesale. I share your hopes for the regeneration of the community.

Chris
    Garston 'Under The Bridge' has always had a tough image and reputation, the buildings neglected for many decades and people too especially when I was growing up in the 80's, despite the strong community down there. I think those factors, along with many others brought about the mass demolition of the streets.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The Ghettooooooo side of Garston.

What part of Garston did ye grow up In Kev?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post

Grassendale or Cressington?

I dunno, that part of Garston once you go past the bridge Is Ghetto looking.

It would toughen Kev up.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Garston vs Wavertree photos

I dunno, that part of Garston once you go past the bridge Is Ghetto looking.

It would toughen Kev up.
    Max,

Would you like me to post some of my Wavertree "ghetto" photos to balance the image you have of Garston

Taffy

Blog Entries

By the Park, Island Rd area
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

That sounds like a pot-kettle-black argument. Garston under the bridge is one of the most run down areas of the city until you get to the rather dull new builds at the old airport end of Banks Road. Fortunately it's having a change in fortune with rows of tinned up houses being pulled down. I hope it doesn't end up full of soulless cul-de-sacs like parts of L8 and Vauxhall.

I was in PC world the other day and I saw all the new developments near the site of the old baths (bland but better than dereliction). Overall, it feels as though Garston has turned a corner. It's an interesting place with a great history. In terms of city wide statistics it has more in common with north Liverpool (in terms of health, mortality, wealth, children going to uni etc.) than the rest of south Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Max,

Would you like me to post some of my Wavertree "ghetto" photos to balance the image you have of Garston

Taffy
    Hahah, go on.

It's mostly up Lawerence and Picton Road area thats like that.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

scouserdave

Default Garston Palace

Email from Alex Corina today:
    "Good news! after waiting for what seems forever we have the keys to the school in Wellington Street Garston soon to become the Garston Palace and the Centre For the Arts and Creative Industries in Garston. The Building is generally in very good condition. We are hoping for a formal agreement with the council soon.

We have arranged a viewing of the building by schools and local creative businesses so we can begin to finalise plans for the space and take into account respective needs.The viewing is planned for Thursday 22nd March at 4-30pm Wellington Street school and Multi-Purpose Centre Wellington Street Garston"

Default Window Lane Pics

"Many Thanks to you Taffy, for the Window Lane photo's! Hope you don't mind but I've 'downloaded' the one of Haughton & Lappins old shop! private reasons for doing so!! memories of past life!! Ta!

Default Chemist shop Window Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    "Many Thanks to you Taffy, for the Window Lane photo's! Hope you don't mind but I've 'downloaded' the one of Haughton & Lappins old shop! private reasons for doing so!! memories of past life!! Ta!
    No problem, Norm.

It's a shame that the local yobs decided to torch that part of the block. The local hairdresser had planned to move in but now she's moving to the shop next door. Her premises further along Window Lane are due for demolition
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window Lane Garston UTB 170307 025.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window Lane Garston UTB 170307 026.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window Lane Garston UTB 170307 011.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1771  

Blog Entries

Default ECHO REPORT: Can Garston recover its shopping heartland?

IN its heyday, it was the beating heart of Garston but now the once-bustling St Mary’s Road has fallen on hard times.

The arrival of the Garston Way bypass took away passing trade and while a hardy band of dedicated shopkeepers battle on, the street has never really recovered.

But now there is a new plan and fresh hope for St Mary’s Road.

A unique scheme for a “cultural village” in a former school building in Wellington Street is being touted as the catalyst to restore pride to the street.

Artist Alex Corina, the brains behind the proposal, wants to bring creative businesses like jewellers, ceramicists and designers to the centre.

Once established, they would start taking over empty shops in St Mary’s Road to sell their wares, under a “Made In Garston” label

Supporters believe it would turn Garston into a destination for culture vultures, with a shopping experience different to anywhere else in Merseyside.

This month Mr Corina showed more than 40 people from schools, creative businesses and art organisations around the Wellington Street building.

While the current St Mary’s Road has boarded-up shops and derelict pubs, the hope is to revitalise it through the cultural village, renaming the businesses’ Wellington Street home “Garston Palace”.

He said: “This is the right building for us and the support is there from the community and creative businesses.

“We are looking at bringing contemporary crafts, jewellers, ceramicists, digital designers, and people who sell arts and crafts to Garston.

“Workshops and studios could be hired out to artists and craftspeople who do not have their own workspace.

“And there are 10 schools in Garston which can use part of the building for art lessons.”

The cultural village proposal is already gathering support from locals, who hope it will revive St Mary’s Road’s flagging fortunes.

Mike Axworthy, from Garston community council, said: “I think it is a great idea and will obviously boost the area’s regeneration.

“It is already having a small effect - a couple of new shops have opened recently and people must be thinking this is a good area to invest in.

“It will give a completely different impression of the area. Rather than assuming it is finished, people will think it has a future.

“We have lost a couple of historic buildings recently, like Bankfield House and the Garston Hotel, but this would bring one back into use.”

Peter Gibbons, head teacher at Gilmour junior school, said: “The possibilities of what could be achieved with this building are endless.

“It would certainly provide space for schools. At the moment, we cannot do big art projects because we just do not have the room. It would be tremendous to have access to somewhere like this.”

Speke-Garston councillor Colin Strickland said: “The dereliction and rot that has set in on St Mary’s Road must be tackled.

“The cultural village plan could well breathe new life into our community, but the council must give it the support it deserves.”

The cultural village’s backers are now hoping to seal a deal with Liverpool council giving them long-term access to the Wellington Street building.

John Ashton, chairman of the board of trustees, said: “We need the council to sort out the arrangements for this building with us so we can start using it.

“This is a fantastic example of what Capital of Culture should be about, and by giving us support, the council would demonstrate how it is engaging with its communities.”

A council spokesman said: “They have expressed an interest in this building, but we are waiting for them to come forward with a business plan before a decision can be made.”

nick.coligan@liverpool.com
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I do prefer made In Garston writen on a product over made In China writing anyway.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

I do prefer made In Garston writen on a product over made In China writing anyway.
    Sony's new camera is made in garston
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Which one and where In Garston?

Wavertree has a technology park to make things too.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast