Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Is that the building that used to be open for changing rooms etc when I did all those 'Up the shore' and 'Devil's gallop' road races throughout the 80s and 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Is that the building that used to be open for changing rooms etc when I did all those 'Up the shore' and 'Devil's gallop' road races throughout the 80s and 90s?
    that's the one mate, a real shame it's gone.Was a great thing for the kids of the area.

It is indeed, t'was a fine old building.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matchworks View Post
    that's the one mate, a real shame it's gone.Was a great thing for the kids of the area.
    I remember being a kids there in the 80's and going in only a few occasions, mostly to play footy out the back, of course it was in a bad condition back then.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I remember being a kids there in the 80's and going in only a few occasions, mostly to play footy out the back, of course it was in a bad condition back then.
    It was mostly pool, table tennis, cards and arts and drama as wellas outdoor sports and camping trips, Really good mix of local and nationwide mix of youth workers who were really dedicated. A place of good memories.

Default Garston Under the Bridge demolition

photo taken of the Window Lane/ Ultonia St area undergoing demolition and rebuild.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultonia St Garston UTB 7 Feb 2007 2007 055.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1395  
    Last edited by taffy; 06-21-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Treasurer quizzed on church theft

Oh dear....

A former parish treasurer has been questioned by police investigating £100,000 allegedly missing from a Liverpool church's accounts.

Janet Crossett, 36, has resigned from her position at St Michael's Church in Garston, after she was arrested on suspicion of theft.

She has been bailed until April while the investigation continues.

The Archdeacon of Liverpool, Ricky Panter, said the diocese was co-operating with the police. continues....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Missing money at St Michael's Garston

Oh dear....

A former parish treasurer has been questioned by police investigating £100,000 allegedly missing from a Liverpool church's accounts.

Looks like they won't be getting their roof repaired now. This might prove to be the last straw for the Church as their vicar is not being replaced and they are being merged into a team ministry with All Souls, Springwood, Allerton, and St Mary, Grassendale. Very sad that this should happen to such a venerable old church.

Blog Entries

A LIVERPOOL community centre may close if it does not win lifeline funding.

Urban Village Hall officials in Garston have been having urgent talks with Liverpool council about its struggling finances.

The Banks Road centre, visited by an estimated 60,000 people every year, holds a huge range of facilities including toddlers groups, tai chi classes, sequence dancing, pensioners’ lunches and football, handball and judo classes.

Including my doctors...

It could be the second community facility in Garston to close, after Bankfield House shut last year.

Today it was revealed staff at the Urban Village Hall have been operating on a shoestring budget for years. continues...
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Unhappy

Sad news! in both cases, but it stirs a lot of memories! I remember the start of fundraising for the Youth Centre for Garston, shortly after the war ended, The Garston Carnival was one such event, and I remember my mum paying 2/6 pence every friday to a collector from the church. At that time the church had provided a beautiful coloured brochure showing what the centre was to look like, and that it was to be built on the site of the Jubilee Institute in King Street, I remember the artists impression of it, it looked somthing like the Gaumont Cinema facade, but sadly it never eventuated! and I remember the disapointment I felt when I first saw Bankfield House either late 70s or early 80s. I wonder if that brochure still exists in some archive somewhere? It would certainly be interesting to compare it with todays events.

A LIVERPOOL community centre may close if it does not win lifeline funding.

Urban Village Hall officials in Garston have been having urgent talks with Liverpool council about its struggling finances.

The Banks Road centre, visited by an estimated 60,000 people every year, holds a huge range of facilities including toddlers groups, tai chi classes, sequence dancing, pensioners’ lunches and football, handball and judo classes.

Including my doctors...

It could be the second community facility in Garston to close, after Bankfield House shut last year.

Today it was revealed staff at the Urban Village Hall have been operating on a shoestring budget for years. continues...
    Er.... and were do we vote in the local and national elections if this place closes, Kev?

Default Garston "Under The Bridge" redevelopment

Many will know the area around the Garston Docks is being demolished and rebuilt. This will be a mix of social and private housing. The place looks very forlorn at the moment. Let's hope a new community spirit rapidly develops itself in this area.

Much of Window Lane was built in the typical Yellow Ruabon Brick much favoured by the Welsh building companies. The name Window refers to old field names in the area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window Lane Garston UTB 170307 018.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1741  
    Last edited by taffy; 06-21-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Blog Entries

The series Lillies was based on a fictitious street amongst the streets you have snapped....shame they are going. It would have been nice to have those (Lucania/ Campania) restored.

Great things will become of the area I'm sure, just watching the work daily gives me hope. The Village is looking boss where the old bus station used to be as the apartments are being finished. There has also been some movement in the neglected shops opposite the Sommerfield recently.

Building should start on the Bankfield House site which has been cleared. Old Grahams Cartons is being built upon, Garston Hotel flats are coming along nicely and opposite that they seem to be doing a restoration job on Seddon House which can only be a good thing.

Next....old Garston Market

The pics are great, cheers.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Whats to become of the woodies?
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Thanks for the great pics, Taffy! The pictures are sad and I still have to wonder why they had to demolish the area wholesale. I share your hopes for the regeneration of the community.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast