Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Interesting postcard for sale on E Bay,

LIVERPOOL-GARSTON-WESLEYAN CHAPEL AND SCHOOLS on eBay, also England, Topographical British, Postcards, Collectables (end time 28-Dec-08 20:01:22 GMT)

showing Garston Wesleyan Chapel and Schools, produced for J.W. Dyble in the village. Who remembers Dybles with all the second hand adverts in the window?

Default Memory

I don't recall a Shannon Bills but it is all so long ago. I knew a few lads from under the Bridge .
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Default cinder path

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Yer mate wasn't Alex Stanley was it? I remember a lad by that name .
    i WENT TO HOLY TRINITYS ON THE CINDER PATH AND USED TO PLAY IN THE MATCH WOSKS

Quote Originally Posted by Twink View Post
    Clarence Grove was a little cobbled street off Neptune Street. Neptune Street ran between Raglan Street and Banks Road. Clarence Grove was very narrow with the houses facing each other across the cobbles, fairly close together. From memory I would guess there were maybe five or six houses on each side. Hope this helps.
    a topic of conversation recently in the Mariners pub...there was 10 on one side and 11 on the other,and yet the size of each side of the close was exactly the same..thats how the topic came up......my dad lived in No 10..at this conversation there were also 3 other residents of Clarence Grove...I live in Garston and have noticed a couple of little errors in some peoples postings ..I don`t want to appear a smart ar*e but if you would like me in the future to correct any little faults ,let me know......my wife was born in 2c Speke Rd Gardens...(.her mum would be 77 now and would have known you Norm) and I`m from Bennett St....if I can help anyone in any way don`t hesitate to post or PM me..
    ...Hello Tina love....nice to see you on this site...keep in touch...regards...allan
    Last edited by fiftyfive; 01-15-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Default Re: Speke Rd Gardens

Quote......my wife was born in 2c Speke Rd Gardens...(.her mum would be 77 now and would have known you Norm)

Hi 'Fifty Five' I think this was for me! Thanks, I can't remember all the names of the people who lived in 'our square'!! but i'm sure I would have known your wife and her family. We lived on opposite block No 14a. cheers

I have just spent "hours" reading through all this thread !!....I am originally from the Dingle/Toxteth but spent many hours in Garston I worked in the old LSB ( Liverpool Savings Bank/ TSB in The Village, had many trips to the hospital, a member of The Vic, went to The Bobbins (happy days !), and the Woodcutters Club and attended Heald Street Hall for lots of weddings and 21st parties and indeed had mine there !.
    Under the bridge seemed like another world to me, and I enjoyed reading all the comments etc about the area. I was sad that the Garston Hotel had been demolished it was the first pub I was ever drunk in !, Christmas Eve 1973 finished work in the Bank and got legless but cheerful ! , we had lots of "stay behinds" in The Red Lion, Palatine and the Allerton Hotel before nipping to The Cheshire Lines and the Squires Club in Woolton.
    I have recently watched Lilies and all the references to "under the bridge" made me very nostalgic !.

Went down to shoreline recently and looks like there demolishing that old ship yard and ship.

Will have to get pics before It goes completely.

The top of the boat Is one one side of the ship and the grounds dug up quite a bit.

Glad I got wellies for that shoreline, even with them It's hard to walk In the mud.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default wow..holy memories batman

just found this forum by total accident. reading through this thread brought back an unbelievable flood of memories! i was born and raised in garston - left in my late teens. i lived "under the bridge" mainly around window lane area - canterbury street etc. went to school at holy trinity rc on banks road. was extremely sad to read about all the closures etc - especially of places like banks house which kept us off the streets for many a game of footy and the like. here are some of my other favorites:

garston adventure playground (aka "the venny")
    the parks - "top park", "bottom park" (king st.)
    the gasworks (never forget the day one was "demolished")
    garston allotments (the ones down by blackburn st - used to sit and watch my dad for hours)
    the shore "walk" (first field/second field/third field....)
    the old airport - epsecially when concord visited - or the day the pope came
    the bryant/may matchworks fields - was our own little version of wembley stadium
    the tennaments! ("tennies")

i can honestly say altho we didnt have literally 2 pennies to rub together my childhood couldnt have been happier. ive certainly been around a bit in my life since then - and now live across the ocean in the usa..anyway im pretty sure my mum still has a box of great old garston pictures.. i will be sure to try and get a copy next time i'm home and scan and share them. if anyone has any older garston pics please let me know.

Blog Entries

Hi Lee,

Welcome aboard mate. I'm still in Garston and have been here all my life. Seing as though you are 33, our paths probably crossed. We often played footy on the dodgy bit of astro turf under the bridge.

I went to 'c of e' and often played around the tennies too.

Can't wait to see the old pics

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Old Garston Photos

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    just found this forum by total accident. reading through this thread brought back an unbelievable flood of memories!
    i can honestly say altho we didnt have literally 2 pennies to rub together my childhood couldnt have been happier. ive certainly been around a bit in my life since then - and now live across the ocean in the usa..anyway im pretty sure my mum still has a box of great old garston pictures.. i will be sure to try and get a copy next time i'm home and scan and share them. if anyone has any older garston pics please let me know.
    The Garston Historical Society has lots of publications with photos about Garston for sale. When you're next over, perhaps you'd care to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Hi Lee,

Welcome aboard mate. I'm still in Garston and have been here all my life. Seing as though you are 33, our paths probably crossed. We often played footy on the dodgy bit of astro turf under the bridge.

I went to 'c of e' and often played around the tennies too.

Can't wait to see the old pics

Kev
    Kev, whereabouts are you? I get home -or try at least annualy. My mum now lives in Allerton.

If you went to C of E we certainly did cross at some point - perhaps even in what i remember one of the most memorable footy games ive played in. I went to Holy Trinity - we took a trip out to C of E for a game - it finished 3-3 and was a real barnstormer. The main reason i remember it was that i missed an absolute sitter in the last minute of the game - i think i've never forgiven myself to this day. I believe i was 10 or 11..putting the year around 1985/1986

Also if you went to C of E - let me also say - THAT PITCH WAS A DISGRACE! Seriously i remember it being one of the worst id ever played on...it felt like the pitch wasnt level - and raised and lowered as you ran on it - it was like playing on an allotment! I also remember playing on there in a kickabout game with some lads - and the goalposts collapsed after being hit and nearly took out the young goalie! I also played for the King st Vaults team for a while - down on the "astro turf" (aka concrete) down by the docks. One of my strongest memories was scoring a winning pen - then legging it off the field as the other team threaten to give us a good beating if we won - i think i was still running by the time i hit St Marys road.

Great memories. Glad to see what you are doing to keep them alive-from doing searches seems like Garston these days has a pretty bad rep and certainly under the bridge seems to have taken the worst of it..shame really because the community spirit we had down there is still unmatched everywhere ive been around the globe since. Keep up the great work.

Lee.
    Last edited by lee; 03-02-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Default Welcome Lee

"And a welcome from me to, Lee, another Garston Lad on the Forum!!
    Cheers, Hope the snow is'nt bothering you too much at present!!!

Default Proposed Waste Recycling Plant in Garston

Some may be aware that there are proposals to build a waste recycling plant on spare ground on the Garston Docks site. The initial plans created much oppostion with 5500 signatures petition being raised. These plans have now been withdrawn and new ones submitted. These are for a plant half the size and without the huge anaerobic digester tanks.

The plant is sited close to two new large property devlopments and will no doubt blight any further sales and development. A new petition against the new plans is now required. So please sign the on line version if you feel this project will affect you:

http://www.notothelorries.com/

Attached are a few photos of the exhibition at the Garston Reading Rooms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refuse Plant Proposed location model  070309 DSC06194R.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	395.7 KB 
ID:	9640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refuse Plant process details  070309 DSC06196R.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	399.9 KB 
ID:	9641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refuse Plant Proposed location 070309 DSC06192R.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	446.0 KB 
ID:	9642  

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Just signed.

Default Proposed Garston waste recycling plan

Interestingly, it seems that Jack Allen Holdings do not have a contract with Mersey Waste Disposal Authority to process Liverpool's rubbish. Whose rubbish will they then process at the Garston Plant?

See

http://paulakeaveney.blogspot.com/20...s-garston.html

Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast