Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Default Cressington Place

I find the hyperbole of the name "Cressington Place" amusing. I wonder if it will fool the buy to let owners. The design is entirely derivative and not worthy of the rest of St Mary's St.

I am now looking forward to a sunny day to go down to Garston docks after seeing these.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8485512@N08/
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Garston Docks

Thanks for the link Max. The cranes at Garston Docks are very photogenic set amongst an industrial wasteland.

Theres Garston Dock Pics there too.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...ocks+Liverpool
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Garston Pics

Thanks for the link's Max! Especially enjoyed the second one, "very Artistic" I thought!

Default Garston Oral History Project

The Garston and District Historical Society has received an audio recording equipment grant from Liverpool City Council to enable the Society to start an oral history recording project. The object of the project is to record the people of Garston's memories about living in the Garston area. These memories will then be published and the recordings archived at the North West Sound Archive in Lancaster.

The Society would be interested to hear from anyone of any age who would be interested in taking part in the project. Contact me privately for more information.

Blog Entries

Cheers Taffy, I'll have a think about that one. My Garston Lad poem and Garston Baths memories could be of some use.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Old Garstonian

Hi, I have just found this site and it has really made me home sick, even though I haven't had any links with Garston for opproximately18 years.
    My dad's family came from under the bridge and originally lived at the bottom of Window Lane. (In streets mentioned in previous mails). I remember my nan living in Raglan Street. Dad's family name was Cairns. I was born in Aston Street and we then moved, up market, to Gateacre, and further afield. My dad, and latterly my mum, worked for Bryant & Mays. My dad's mum also worked in the Bobbin works and my grandad was killed in the War. He was an air raid warden.
    I have lots of happy memories, shopping with my nan in Window Lane, sitting outside the toilets talking to my nan's friend who took great pride in keeping the toilets clean, shopping at the market etc, etc.
    My mum's family came from the top end of Garston and their name was Kerr. Many of them worked in Dunlops.
    When I was 16, we lived in Halewood and I worked for a Bank. Many times I was a cashier at TSB at the bottom of the village. Also as a teenager I would get the 20 to 11, 88 bus home to Halewood, having walked down from Duncombe Road, past the park and market, by myself. I was too proud to let anyone accompany me, although occasionally my auntie insisted that the dog needed a walk.
    I am now 50 and have lived all over the country, but I have very fond memories of Garston and my growing up there.
    My mum is still alive, aged 77 but dad died about 12 years ago.
    best wishes

Jan

Welcome Jan
    There are a number of us on Yo from 'Under the Bridge'
    I also lived in Halewood as well

John

" If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Blog Entries

welcome jan, my nan worked at the bibbin works aged 12/13 i believe, a 12+ hr a day.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Kids join £2m street revamp

Jan 15 2008 by Ben Turner, Liverpool Echo

SCHOOL children are to show their creative side to spruce up their neighbourhood.

Primary school pupils in Garston are designing mosaics which will be installed in Horrocks Avenue as part of a £2.2m revamp being carried out by Liverpool Land Development Company.

A time capsule and a plaque in honour of the astronomer Jeremiah Horrocks, who was born in Toxteth Park, will also be included in the art work which will be completed by April.

The 17th century star gazer predicted the Transit of Venus, a scientific breakthrough which helped change the way the solar system and universe were viewed.

The project, which is due to be completed later this year, also includes new footpaths, street lighting, extensive tree planting and landscaping.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Nice to hear. Thanks, Kev.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Its certainly is Chris, this part of Garston being untouched for well over 30 years, was once used as a car park for the Market traders, now it looks bloody lovely even without the turf laid.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Smile Hi all again

I have really enjoyed reminiscing on these sites, trouble is I read them and think that I will come back to the letters / pics and then can't think how to get to them again. I have now decided to try and print off some of the old pics of Garston - like the bus station and toilets - if I can find them again - and make a booklet of them.

Thinking about it my dad was a bus driver at Garston depot, while my mum was a clippie. That would be late 50s/early 60s. Showing my age , aren't I?

From Garston we moved to Gateacre and I went to Outlane School; we then moved to Lineacre Lane, Bootle, North Wales and back to Halewood where I went to Gateacre Comp.

Anyway its really good to reminisce.

Jan

I will going to Garston to photograph more often since discovering the shoreline.

Whats the docks like Kev? I want to get a shot of that but does It require sneaking In ninja style like the Dock Road ones?

Working on a cool pic of bricked up cafe on Blackburne street called Teapot cafe.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast