Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

A.D.Williams

Kev! Why are Garstonians called 'Mudmen'?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave68
    Kev! Why are Garstonians called 'Mudmen'?
    Is it because of their proximity to the Docks area?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Mudmen

Mudmen of Garston, I think the name derives from the days of sail, ie Mersey Flats as they where called {sailing barges} used to carry the coal from Garston to the iron and steel works either side of the river, and in the hard times era men used to go out to the sand banks {mudbanks} and collect the coal which had been washed from the decks of the sailing flats during rough weather, thats what I believe was the reason why Garstonians where called {Mud men} maybe they should have been called Madmen, because of the river being ever so dangerous.

Blog Entries

Default Aldo and Les Dennis

Les supports Bankfield House' cause.....

Aldo....

I had an email from The Webmaster (Garstonlad) from the Garston Woodcutters website: Here
    Last edited by Kev; 10-29-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries

MONEY from the sale of a threatened community centre in Garston is to be ploughed back into the area.

The Bishop of Liverpool said he did not have the authority to save Bankfield House.

But responding to a two-month sit-in staged by campaigning residents, the Right Reverend James Jones said proceeds from any eventual sale should be ploughed back into Garston.

Following a meeting with campaigners, Bishop Jones called for discussions about ways to save the site.

But he said he lacked the authority to order the Parochial Church Council, which manages the centre, to keep Bank-field open.

Story continues
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Funny enough,
    the bishop of liverpool is saying that and then local residents have had a letter from Frank Roderick:

People in Garston Under the Bridge have recently had letters from Councillor Frank Roderick regarding the Labour Party use of the Bankfield house situation as a " easy party political slogan". He also states that he and a fellow LibDem Councillor have written to the Bishop of Liverpool to ask him to stop the Church closing Banky and he is raising Banky's case through the City Council.

It seems he just missed the boat doesn't it, bad timing Frank (how coincidental).

Blog Entries

A £15,000 windfall could clear the way for a scheme which could save Bankfield House in Garston.

The donation comes courtesy of former mayor Cllr Frank Roderick, ward member for Garston, who selected the centre last year as one of his three chosen charities.

More...
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Garston Church of England School To Close - Liverpool's Oldest School

Kev i know this will interest you,

Garston CofE school is to close, i have just found out.
    I have put this in the local developments forum because i think this is going to be a future development to do with the South Liverpool Parkway that is being built on the old South Liverpool Football ground. Mark my words this will end up being used for that new tram line i bet you.
    The reason for closing the school is because not enough children are attending it.

I have said it before and i will say it again, the people in charge of this city will trample on anything and anyone to get their way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garstonlad
    Kev i know this will interest you,

Garston CofE school is to close, i have just found out.
    I have put this in the local developments forum because i think this is going to be a future development to do with the South Liverpool Parkway that is being built on the old South Liverpool Football ground. Mark my words this will end up being used for that new tram line i bet you.
    The reason for closing the school is because not enough children are attending it.

I have said it before and i will say it again, the people in charge of this city will trample on anything and anyone to get their way.
    Bloody 'ell (pardon my french) My old school It was to close a few years ago until it was saved. I really thought it had a future. I cant tell u enough what that place means to me

School website: Here....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default South Parkway (Garston)

There is a Garston Neighbourhood Committee meeting, regarding the traffic regulation order for the new South Liverpool Parkway entrance roads.

These plans are going to make the lives of local residents an absolute misery and traffic in the area an absolute nightmare unless the plans are rebuffed.

The result of the new plans will also be traffic congestion in Garston and a knock on effect up Speke Boulevard.

The meeting is taking place in Garston Urban Village Hall, Banks Road, Garston on Thursday December December 8th 2005 at 5.30 pm.

Local people please go along and support the residents and common sense.

Blog Entries

What are the plans from the residents? Do they want a simple rethink and a change?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Yep, that is literally what they want Kev.
    All in all they just want to have some consideration given to them and also to the impact that this new road layout is going to have on their quality of life.

It smacks of hypocrisy when Peter Millea spouts on about car free days in the city and such like, yet here in his own district he is proposing for cars to stop at traffic lights by the steps on Woolton Road facing the site and increase the pollution for the residents.
    Also due to the road layout they won't be able to have deliveries to their homes. Companies are already refusing to deliver so they don't stand a chance when the traffic lights get put in at the bottom of the steps.

Emergency vehicles will also find it hard because they won't be able to stop on traffic lighted junction near to the access steps but these so called educated people who run our city don't seem to think about these things.

Blog Entries

A 10-WEEK sit-in to save a Liverpool community centre has failed after the Church of England ordered campaigners out within the week. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I went to the Area Committee meeting in Garston the other night and it is true that there is a proposal to close the school due to falling pupil numbers. The fact that half of Garston has yet to be rebuilt seems ti escape these people who make these decisions.
    I think it is more than a coincidence that the church have closed Bankfield house and now want to close CofE school.
    Maybe the chance to sell the land to Merseytravel for the South Liverpool Parkway is to good an opportunity to miss. Considering that the footbridge that has been built on the site goes right up to the school fence !!!!!

The parents of some pupils have tried to get places for their children at other local schools only to be told they are full. Where does this leave the children if the school closes?

Blog Entries

The other schools will have to take 'em. They cannot say no under those circumstances I'm sure.The authority cannot leave parents in the lurch they will have other arrangements for them.

I was thinking about CofE yesterday, how sad that the best times of my childhood were spent in the school and hanging around with my very good friends who went there too. That, of course was made much better by the wonderful Mres Lester

A good ten years ago I revisited the school as a student. I couldnt believe how small everything was The hours our parents used to put in for the fairs and trips out!
    Last edited by Kev; 12-13-2005 at 09:45 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast