Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Blog Entries

Just found out that this building which I knew as a hairdressers where my nan went religiously, used to be the original Garston Accident Hospital (before 1880). Granville Rd/Chapel Rd L19. It had 6 beds and was used mainly for the accidents as they occoured at the expanding Garston Docks.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Just found out that this building which I knew as a hairdressers where my nan went religiously, used to be the original Garston Accident Hospital (before 1880). Granville Rd/Chapel Rd L19. It had 6 beds and was used mainly for the accidents as they occoured at the expanding Garston Docks.

Hi Kev

Great that you found this out. A good piece of local history to know.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Garston is full of stuff like that.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I'm going pub searching on Friday and anyone know any good Garston pubs?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Unfortunately not!

Blog Entries

The Derby, Masonic, Paletine, The Dealers, The Queens, any more?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The Derby, Masonic, Paletine, The Dealers, The Queens, any more?
    That should do.

GO DODSON!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Charity resurrects day a legend came to GarstonNov 27 2006

Charity resurrects day a legend came to GarstonNov 27 2006
    by Ben Searson, Daily Post

A LIVERPOOL charity is to relive the moment one of the best footballers in the world graced a local football pitch to help them raise funds.
    In May, 1967, Ferenc Puskas, who died last week after a battle against Alzheimer's, flew into Liverpool Airport at the invitation of Bankfield House, a community centre until recently based in Banks Road, Garston.
    The legendary Hungarian and Real Madrid player had accepted an invitation from the charity to play in a football game at Holly Park, the home of South Liverpool FC, against a team led by Liverpool FC and Scotland legend Billy Liddell.
    The game attracted more than 10,000 spectators, some of whom could not even fit into the ground.
    Now Bankfield House, which is currently homeless after losing its former base which now forms part of a housing development, is to remember the match in a four-day exhibition at Community House, Speke Road, Garston.
    Brian Taylor, organiser of the event 39 years ago, and still the director of Bankfield House, said the match helped to raise £1,100, which today would be worth about £20,000.
    He said: "At the time, we were having annual charity football matches to raise funds.
    "I decided to try and liven it up a bit, which was tongue in cheek and I never expected any response from Puskas.
    "After his death, we thought this might be an opportunity for the public to recall the day when he came to Garston. You can't imagine a professional player of his standard doing it these days.
    He was the greatest footballer in the world. He changed football in this country altogether with that remarkable victory in 1953 when England were seen as the best football team.
    "They had never been beaten at home, and Hungary came along and won 6-3."
    When Puskas stepped from the aeroplane, he was greeted by Liverpool dignitaries including Alderman David Cowley, the deputy Lord Mayor.
    The centrepiece of the display will be the telegraph sent from Puskas in response to the invitation to visit Garston, which read: "All I wait is you send me plane ticket."
    The exhibition will be open to the public from tomorrow to Friday, December 1. It will be opened by Alan Waterworth, former Lord Lieutenant of Merseyside and a former patron of the charity.
    The life and career of one of the world's greatest goalscorers

Blog Entries

I read that, thanks. Pitty Bankfield House has been demolished
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Great story Jimmy
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Howcome Garston has a snooker hall and not Wavertree?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ijob/26...57594327508828

I love playing pool or snooker.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Garston Village today...

St Mary's Road, Garston I hate to sart on a bad note, but in anyone's opinion, has Garston gone down since the New Mersey Opened? Something needs to be done here so that more buildings in what could be quite a pleasant village don't succumb to a similar fate. By Looking at this, I suspect that this building or even the whole row might soon get pulled down due to instability

St Mary's Road, GarstonThe Slaughter House, a great building which Kev posted a few pages back. This scene from today shows the building set amongst it's surroundings. It seems that this building was originally built of yellow pressed brick and was dressed with stone. Over the years, a few occupiers have painted the bricks red which completly changes it's appearence alltogether.

St Mary's Road, Garston Adom House has also previously been mentioned; This is one of a few great buildings that Garston has within it and is looking quite healthy too!

St Mary's Road, Garston Another Stone building can be found on St Mary's Road but I think that this was built by the Dockboard or some industry for office use. to me, this does look particually West Yorkshire-esque with it's yellow stone frontage (the other walls were brick) and it's well proportioned windows on the upper floor.

St Mary's Road, Garston To finish with, the old site of the Garston Hotel is already being built on. Didn't take long did it?

Hope you enjoyed me images! I don't normally end up down this part of the city and so it made somewhat of a welcome change from the useral places that I go to!!!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Sadly Garston has not gone down the nick since New Mersey Retail - it has been in that state for YEARS - we have to look at that every day when we shop and no, we do not like it. It took 5 years for the council to demolish the shops (which they made the people vacate) opposite the Church. That section of buildings in the first picture has been like that for the last 16 years at least.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Garston Village today...St Mary's Road, Garston I hate to sart on a bad note, but in anyone's opinion, has Garston gone down since the New Mersey Opened? Something needs to be done here so that more buildings in what could be quite a pleasant village don't succumb to a similar fate. By Looking at this, I suspect that this building or even the whole row might soon get pulled down due to instability Hope you enjoyed me images! I don't normally end up down this part of the city and so it made somewhat of a welcome change from the useral places that I go to!!!
    Thanks for the pictures they are brilliant. As sweetpatooti said its been like that for many many many years. Garston is a unique place full of clues to the past if you look for them but sadly many of the fine old buildings have been swept away. The first one u posted makes me wonder what this will eventually become.....

Its not all bad though, if u step away from St. Marys Rd down Heald Street, Wellington etc etc you almost take a trip back in time, its all good down there, then upto The park its lovely.

The flattening of the old empty bus station is a big step forward for Garston. I'd say it has benefited from the regeneration of the Speke Retail Park and long may it continue. Maybe the old site for the market will be built upon next.

As for the Garston Hotel, someone wasn't in a hurry to demolish it, but now its gone, its a hive of activity there.

Other areas of developments include the old Grahams Cartons, Earp Street that had been demolished too.

Oops, btw...

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    This is one of a few great buildings that Garston has...
    Garston has many great buildings (IMO) but u need to search them out
    Last edited by Kev; 12-22-2006 at 07:42 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Speke Retail park rules!

I like the part of Garston where it's nearer to Aigburth Vale.
    Garston doesn't get any closer to Aigburth Vale than about Garston Old Road, though does it?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast