Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Blog Entries

excellent taffy, cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Garston redevelopment

"Thanks for the info and Pics Taffy, but forgive me if I offend anyone But! I think now is the time to remove some of those old shops & widen St Mary's Road! after all! they have talked about the need to do this for as long as I can remember!! Cheers to all! & keep the news coming!

Default Re - Old Slaughter House St Mary's Road

Taffy I can remember a Garston Artist's shop- Gallery situated between Mcbride Street and Clifton street on St Mary's Road ,1967 or there abouts. It used to be a cobblers shop owned by a Mr. Cheetham who lived over the shop. I bought a oil painting from there, it was a copy of a famous painting called Iron Coffins depicting the sinking of a German U-Boat. The painting I have was painted by L J Banks I presume the artist was from Garston. Do you know of the artist?

Factories and businesses are closing here in Canada, and all you can find these days when you buy an item are the words "Made in China".
    It is fine for the large companies who increase their profits considerably by having their goods made on the cheap, but it leaves the people of our own countries without jobs, and the young people will not develop the necessary skills for the future.
    We will become nations of service only (McDonalds for instance) workers, while China's economy grows and grows.
    Another Garston company died a few years back, Bryant & Mays. Where are the matches made now I wonder.

Blog Entries

Default The Matchworks

Talking about The Matchworks, I've heard a rumour they are to be turned into flats, anyone know?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Taffy I can remember a Garston Artist's shop- Gallery situated between Mcbride Street and Clifton street on St Mary's Road ,1967 or there abouts. It used to be a cobblers shop owned by a Mr. Cheetham who lived over the shop. I bought a oil painting from there, it was a copy of a famous painting called Iron Coffins depicting the sinking of a German U-Boat. The painting I have was painted by L J Banks I presume the artist was from Garston. Do you know of the artist?
    Thanks for the info about the other Gallery in St Mary's Rd. Sorry Jimmy, I don't know L J Banks

Republic of Garston becomes a reality
    May 22 2008 by Vicky Anderson, Liverpool Daily Post

Adrian Henri exhibition at The New Slaughterhouse Gallery: Alex Corina (Creative Director), Maria Eagle MP and Phil Redmond (Deputy Chairman of the Liverpool Culture Company) _320

A LIVERPOOL suburb is about to declare "cultural independence" from the city, in a bid to become its own cultural village.

Now the search is on to find local talent to make the most of elaborate plans for Garston, as put forward by a team led by artist Alex Corina.

The revolution begins on May 31 with the opening of the "Garston Embassy" – the final installation of the three Culture Year community pavilions – where artist Michael Trainor has transformed the disused Edwardian Wellington school into the headquarters of a mini independent state, including its own flag and passport.

The campaign follows on from the recent re-opening of the Slaughterhouse Gallery, which opened with a new exhibition of the work of Adrian Henri.

The gallery has moved a few yards down the same street to open at new, larger premises on St Mary’s Road.

Run by Mr Corina, it is part of a bigger overall project to revive Garston village by turning it into a hub for creative industries.

A public-private initiative, the Cultural Village Company, has been formed and is looking to sign a five- year lease which will allow them to make use of Wellington School for creative businesses and projects, as well as plans to find occupiers for all the empty shops on St Mary’s Road.

Alex Corina said: "We have been working for five years to establish a cultural village and for the first time we have got the financial backing and there is a groundswell of support of organisations and individuals.

"Garston offers something unique and we want to encourage people to stay here and encourage creative businesses to move back.

"It’s got a wonderful village psychology and environment, where everybody knows everybody and people have been here for generations."

Made in Garston, a brand devised to highlight the artistic output of the village, will also be launched on May 31, and gallery is inviting artists and craftspeople in south Liverpool and Garston to take part in an exhibition to showcase their work to promote and raise the profile of a local talent.

Mr Corina said: "We are asking artists and crafts people such as potters, ceramicists, jewellers and print makers working and living in the area to come to the gallery. and show us their work"

The launch of the gallery in April attracted supporters including Phil Redmond, culture minister Andy Burnham and Maria Eagle MP.

Mr Corina said: "The purpose of the gallery is to showcase local artists and creative people, and to become a bit of a cultural social centre."

The new Slaughterhouse Gallery is open Tuesdays to Saturdays, 1pm to 5pm.

vickyanderson@dailypost.co.uk

Most of the village area Is ruined though, hardly as cultural as It once was, you have a dairy and a police station which stands out and doesn't fit In with the houses on those roads.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

This happened today and I'll post pictures soon.

Garston Embassy

JOIN US FOR THE GRAND UNVEILING OF THE NEW ‘GARSTON EMBASSY’
    SATURDAY 31 MAY, 2.30PM, WELLINGTON STREET, GARSTON L19 2LX

‘Garston Embassy’ is an installation by artist Michael Trainor which sees a disused Edwardian school (formerly Tocky Tech) being transformed into the headquarters of a mini independent state including its own flag and passports.

The project has been undertaken in collaboration with a number of other Liverpool and Garston based artists and designers as well as the good people of Garston.

Alex Corina Cultural Village Creative Director says ” The Artistic Republic Of Garston and Embassy was born out of Garston’s historic spirit of independence and Garston Cultural Village Campaign. It has the longer term aim of promoting the physical and cultural regeneration of Garston as a creative centre and really does capture Garstons own vision and plans for the future”

The Embassy installations will include a number of automated features which will operate at advertised times throughout the year from 31 May.

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE TIMETABLED:

2.30pm — Grab a placard!
    2.32pm — Become a Revolutionary!
    2.45pm — March with the band!
    3.00pm — Join the crowds throwing flowers as The President arrives in his ceremonial car to declare independence for ‘The Artistic Republic of Garston’.
    3.15pm — Witness the unveiling of Garston Embassy as a new ‘Palace of Culture’ with its own fountains,maze,formal gardens, oil well and weapons of mass attraction!

Garston Embassy is Garston Cultural Village’s Pavilion and is commissioned as part of a Liverpool wide programme in partnership with Liverpool Biennial, Metal in Kensington and Rotunda in Kirkdale, and Garston Cultural Village funded through Liverpool Culture Company’s public art programme.

SATURDAY 31 MAY
    CEREMONIAL UNVEILING

ITS FREE • ITS FAMILY FRIENDLY • ALL ARE WELCOME • SO DON’T MISS IT
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Wellington Street, Garston, 31th May 2008.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Talking about The Matchworks, I've heard a rumour they are to be turned into flats, anyone know?
    Unlikely.
    It's a Listed Building because of its internal construction.
    When I worked there we weren't allowed to hang Christmas decorations from the columns because they were Listed.

Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast