Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Blog Entries

That's a bit weird
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Maybe it's a new work of art as it's next door to The SlaughterHouse Gallery?

I've only been to Garston once. Came home early from a night out in town cos I was tired. Got on the 86 bus, next thing I remember is the driver's waking me up at the end of the route in Garston. Realised where I was but didn't have a clue which way to go, found the main road back towards town but walked for half an hour before I found a taxi

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Default A little help?

I have small cry of help which one hopes you wonderful people will be able to help out with. I am planning an update for Garston but I wish to add to substinace to some of the discriptions regarding a few places of interest. Any additional information would be most appreciated!

Memorial Hospital, Church Road This looks to be a rather interesting building, possibly constructed during the 1930's?

Banks Road, Garston I feel slightly embarrased having to ask this question but who is this church dedicated to? Its a great view with such an iconic religeous building being overshadowed by the Gasworks.

Window Lane, Garston This view was taken from the bottom of Window Lane looking back up toward Banks Road. It is home to a few local services including a newasagents and a social club. To the left, streets have been buldozed to make way for new developments whilst to the right, some streets have been renovated.

Canterbury Street, Garston Any Ideas as to what the old advert used to say? This could actually be a rather nice row if the end property was in a better state of repair. I like the different colour bricks which have been used to add some detail to the row in general.

If anyone has any additional information for the above images, I shoudl be most grateful. As I did with Toxteth, all credit will be given on the Garston page.

Many Thanks!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Church is St Michael's Garston Parish Church

Default Garston photos

QUOTE=wallasey;58644]I have small cry of help which one hopes you wonderful people will be able to help out with. I am planning an update for Garston but I wish to add to substinace to some of the discriptions regarding a few places of interest. Any additional information would be most appreciated!

]Memorial Hospital, Church Road[/b] This looks to be a rather interesting building, possibly constructed during the 1930's?

Banks Road, Garston[/b] I feel slightly embarrased having to ask this question but who is this church dedicated to? Its a great view with such an iconic religeous building being overshadowed by the Gasworks.

Window Lane, Garston[/b] This view was taken from the bottom of Window Lane looking back up toward Banks Road. It is home to a few local services including a newasagents and a social club. To the left, streets have been buldozed to make way for new developments whilst to the right, some streets have been renovated.

Canterbury Street, Garston[/b] Any Ideas as to what the old advert used to say? This could actually be a rather nice row if the end property was in a better state of repair. I like the different colour bricks which have been used to add some detail to the row in general.

If anyone has any additional information for the above images, I shoudl be most grateful. As I did with Toxteth, all credit will be given on the Garston page.

Many Thanks![/QUOTE]

Church is dedicated to St Michael. It dates back to at least the 12th C and predates St Nicholas Pierhead Church Liverpool. A lot of background info on Garston can be found in the publications of the Garston Historical Society. These may be purchased from the society or at the Garston Community House, 2 Speke Rd Garston.

The view along Window Lane is in the industrial part of the street. To the right was the Crown Copper works and to the left the Rawlinson Saw Mills and the Garston Leather Tannery.

The hospital foundation stone was laid in 1914 and it opened in 1916. Most of the money came from the estate of Sir Alfred Jones. He was well known for having imported the first bananas into England. For many years Garston was a principal port for the import of bananas
    Last edited by taffy; 05-20-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Thank you every one for filling the gaps as it were!

How much do the books by the local historical society cost? They might be rather handy for subsequent updates!

All the best

Russ
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Default Garston local history books

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Thank you every one for filling the gaps as it were!

How much do the books by the local historical society cost? They might be rather handy for subsequent updates!

All the best

Russ
    Most are £2-3 each for the booklets ( there's about 15 of them). There are also two other actual books, one on the History of Garston and its church by Rev Swift costing £13 ( pp230) and another of old photos of Garston by Mr and Mrs Brett costing £12. (pp128) Both are excellent and worth the money. The society has also produced a few videos about Garston and its history.

The gas holder was the scene of heroism during the war

28 November 1940 Lt Harold Newgass RNVR, HMS President, Rendering Mines Safe. Defused mines during the Blitz, on this date tackled mine which had fallen into a gas holder in Garston Gas Works Liverpool. Awarded George Cross, gazetted 4 March 1941.

The London Gazette - The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the GEORGE CROSS for great gallantry and undaunted devotion to duty to:

Temporary Lieutenant Harold Reginald Newgass, R.N.V.R.

Its on display at the Imperial War Museum

Since the weather will get better next week I hear I'm going to get more Garston pics next week.

What I like about Garston Is the old buildings In the middle of more modern looking houses like the Police station on Heald street I think It Is.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

@Max for your interest in Garston, just been looking through your Flickr pics. I've just uploaded the Garston Mill Excavation snaps:

Thanks to Liverpool City Council and National Museums Liverpool for permission to take the pictures.

^^Just visible towards the rear of the trench is an old sandstone wall^^

So it looks like they will return and complete a full excavation very soon
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Garston Old Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    @Max for your interest in Garston, just been looking through your Flickr pics. I've just uploaded the Garston Mill Excavation snaps:

Thanks to Liverpool City Council and National Museums Liverpool for permission to take the pictures.

So it looks like they will return and complete a full excavation very soon
    Nice photos Kev. It's interesting to see the thick layer of concrete flooring laid down in the early 20th C over the cobbles and brick floor by Blackwell's metallurgical works. The cobbles seem to be the site yard of the 18th/19th C corn and spice mills

I was thinking of you Kev when down In Garston earlier.

Still looking through more to upload.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

That Old Garston Road has some amazing looking houses and Is the nicest part of Garston In my opinion.

Shame this house Is abandoned and boarded up.

My Interest Is photographing Liverpool and Merseyside not just Garston though.

I lacked Garston pictures and I want to build up my South Liverpool sets.
    Last edited by Max; 05-21-2007 at 11:30 PM.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Re Garston Pics

A great big "Thank You" to both Max, Wallasey, and Kev, for the Garston Pics, helps me keep in touch with my old home district, "TA"!

Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast