Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

'Boxing Day morning here in NZ, so I'm taking it easy after having all the family here for Christmas Dinner! Hope all you 'Scousers' are still enjoying your Christmas Day, and may I add my Best Wishes to ALL on this 'Great Site'! Enjoy the holiday, and have a great New Year.

PS. Keep that Garston Thread going Kev!!! Love all the Pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    'Boxing Day morning here in NZ, so I'm taking it easy after having all the family here for Christmas Dinner! Hope all you 'Scousers' are still enjoying your Christmas Day, and may I add my Best Wishes to ALL on this 'Great Site'! Enjoy the holiday, and have a great New Year.

PS. Keep that Garston Thread going Kev!!! Love all the Pics.
    ta lar!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Mid-Dec 2006. Two shields on this building state 'Constabulary Station'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Constabulary_Station_Garston.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Constabulary_Station_Shield.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	640  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Mid-Dec 2006. Two shields on this building state 'Constabulary Station'.
    Thanks Marky, I've used that place often for car parts and never noticed the details above
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Memories of Garston

As a new member of this site, I was pleased to see so much concern being expressed about the need to record Garston's past social history. The Garston and District Local History Society is actively recording people's memories and would welcome the opportunity to publish these for you in booklet form. The society meets monthly at Island Rd Methodist Church, now called Garston Park Church. The first meeting of 2007 is on Jan 12th at 7.30pm and the next after that on Feb 2nd , again at 7.30pm. I would encourage those who can to attend the meetings.

I have an interest in the development of the Copper Industry in Garston which dates from the mid 1860s with the transfer of the original site at Seacombe to Garston by John Bibby and Sons. If anyone has any relatives who may have worked at the Copper works (closed 1936), I'd be pleased to hear from you. Many of the original workers came from Wales and were housed in Brunswick St (the back to front houses). The " Banky" was in fact originally the Copper Works manager's house.

Welcome to Yo
    I went to their last exhibition/event at the Church, which was very informative, my family appear in the Garston book Pg 84 and my mum is in the special edition newsletter that they published in Sept 2002, I believe a woman in the photo, also owns the photo is a member of G&DHS. I have contact with one or two members of G&DHS on a number of sites that I visit.
    You will find a number of members on this forum have links with Garston and a number still live there.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    As a new member of this site, I was pleased to see so much concern being expressed about the need to record Garston's past social history. The Garston and District Local History Society is actively recording people's memories and would welcome the opportunity to publish these for you in booklet form. The society meets monthly at Island Rd Methodist Church, now called Garston Park Church. The first meeting of 2007 is on Jan 12th at 7.30pm and the next after that on Feb 2nd , again at 7.30pm. I would encourage those who can to attend the meetings.

I have an interest in the development of the Copper Industry in Garston which dates from the mid 1860s with the transfer of the original site at Seacombe to Garston by John Bibby and Sons. If anyone has any relatives who may have worked at the Copper works (closed 1936), I'd be pleased to hear from you. Many of the original workers came from Wales and were housed in Brunswick St (the back to front houses). The " Banky" was in fact originally the Copper Works manager's house.
    Welcome to the forum, Taffy.

The book on Garston that your society was involved in - is it still available?

I've read it from the library, but I'd love my own copy.

Default Re: Memories of Garston (Copper Works)

Hello Taffy! I would be interested in anything you might write about the Copper Works in Garston, I believe my Grandfather died whilst working there many years ago, (prior to my birthdate of 1932) Grandparents came from North Wales, and settled in Garston, can't say when sorry, and unfortunatly I know very little about their early years there. The surname was Davies. I wish you well with your research, and Welcome to this great site. I do have the book 'Garston' put out by the Historical Society, I think it's 'Great' I even appear in one of the photo's (top picture on page 103) unfortunatly the info given is incorrect! the party was a VE or VJ day party in 1945, not 1951.
    Last edited by Norm NZ; 12-30-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

Saw this book in W H Smith on the retail park in Speke (yesterday) - Margaret and Bernard Brett and the Garston Historical Society - if it is the same one.

The book is called The archive photographs series GARSTON
    published by The Chalford Publishing Co
    ISBN 0-7524-0676-0
    Priced £9.99

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti View Post
    Saw this book in W H Smith on the retail park in Speke (yesterday) - Margaret and Bernard Brett and the Garston Historical Society - if it is the same one.
    Between my posting and Sweetpatooti thats Yo teamwork

PhilipG

Great response.

Thanks, everybody.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    As a new member of this site, I was pleased to see so much concern being expressed about the need to record Garston's past social history. The Garston and District Local History Society is actively recording people's memories ......
    A warm welcome from me taffy - as a proud Garston resident I'm keen raise the positive profile of our fine village and wider Garston area. Thanks for your support and I hope you stay with us

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Between my posting and Sweetpatooti thats Yo teamwork

Great response.

Thanks, everybody.
    Yes, many thanks.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Yes, available from bookshops. It's called " Images of England Garston" published by Tempus Publishing. It seems it was one of their best selling local history books and was reprinted several times. The book is also avialble from the Garston Local History Society at their meetings where they aslo sell many other booklets and indeed a video about Garston.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Hello Taffy! I would be interested in anything you might write about the Copper Works in Garston, I believe my Grandfather died whilst working there many years ago, (prior to my birthdate of 1932) Grandparents came from North Wales, and settled in Garston, can't say when sorry, and unfortunatly I know very little about their early years there. The surname was Davies. I wish you well with your research, and Welcome to this great site. I do have the book 'Garston' put out by the Historical Society, I think it's 'Great' I even appear in one of the photo's (top picture on page 103) unfortunatly the info given is incorrect! the party was a VE or VJ day party in 1945, not 1951.

Thanks for this. I'll mention the error to Margaret and Bernard Brett !!! Usually such a mistake comes from the provider of the photograph, not the editors. If you could let me have more info about your Davies family, I'll see what I can look up for you. Reply via Private corrspondence
    Last edited by taffy; 05-27-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast