Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Dodd

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    I picked him up off the late train from London a few times when I had my cab in the 70's, he looked absolutely worn out, he is a workaholic. Don't believe the rumours that he is stingy, he is quite generous.
    Agree over the workaholic bit, he has often been given the keys to theatres by disgruntled staff because of how long he stays on stage for. Wont stay in hotels either, always likes to get home to own bed.

It shows how much he's in Liverpool.
    Everyone has got a story about seeing him or meeting him.

I think this thread would have ended by now if we were talking about "Jimmy or Cilla"

That's true.

I've met Ken Dodd on a couple of occassions. I know someone who is related to him.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    That's true.

I've met Ken Dodd on a couple of occassions. I know someone who is related to him.

Does he work down a jam butty mine?

!

I just watched Kenn Dodds "This is your life" from 1990.
    Really enjoyed it.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Exclamation Arena : Ken Dodd's Happiness - 8pm Christmas Eve BBC Two

Arena : Ken Dodd's Happiness - 8pm Christmas Eve BBC Two

BBC Two's 'Arena' is given unique, behind-the-scenes access, to one of the country's truly great comedians, the Squire of Knotty Ash, Ken Dodd.

Ken Dodd is probably the last of the great all-round entertainers whose roots go back to the old British music hall tradition.

As another veteran Eric Sykes says,"This man is the piece of Chippendale in a room full of G plan furniture".

Doddy, who was eighty in November, continues to perform live with a schedule that someone half his age would struggle to tackle.

Driven by an ambition to play every theatre in the UK and armed with his tickling sticks, jokes, songs and ventriloquism skills, he comes on stage at 7.30pm and rarely finishes before 12.30am.

Dodd still lives in his beloved Liverpool - in the same house in Knotty Ash where he's lived since he was four years old.

Ken Dodd and the Diddymen

Arena has been given unprecedented film access to give a glimpse of the side of Ken Dodd that the public seldom see. It reveals an intensely private man and builds a portrait of a serious-minded comedian.

Doddy's early career was spent as a coal-man and then a door-to-door salesman, selling feather dusters to Liverpool housewives.

It was during this time that he began to develop his act as a comedian," I served my apprenticeship round the clubs, dockers' soirees, anywhere where there was an audience I would go along and do my act".

Ten years later, he was performing sell-out shows at the London Palladium and his fans ranged from the Queen Mother to Harold Wilson and playwright John Osborne.

The Ken Dodd Show was watched by millions on television in the 60's and 70's but nowadays, apart from the occasional chat show appearances and "An Audience With…" Doddy has focused largely on his live shows.

His pedigree as a live performer has no challengers in show business. He holds the record for the longest ever run at the Palladium lasting 42 weeks in 1965 and breaking all box office records.

He has performed Shakespeare, appeared on Doctor Who and sold millions of records including the Number One 'Tears'.

In the minds and hearts of the British public he is 'up there' with other iconic comedy greats like Morecambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper and fellow scouse comics Arthur Askey, Ted Ray, Tommy Handley and Rob Wilton - all of whom were major influences.

Arena : Ken Dodd's Happiness - 8pm Christmas Eve BBC Two
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

John(Zappa)

BRILLIANT.
    NOT USED THE VCR FOR AGES.A GOOD REASON TO GET THOSE TAPES USED.!
    THIS IS THE BEST THING ON OVER THE CHRISTMAS PERIOD!!

Blog Entries

John: Turn your caps lock off matey , stop shoutin'
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

John(Zappa)

OOPS
    So sorry.Hope I didn't deafen' you!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Hope I didn't deafen' you!!
    what? eh?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Just been reading this, while the arena show about Doddy was on, some great stories here and on there. An Audience with Ken Dodd on BBC 2 later, I will make sure thats on too.
    First saw him late 70's or early 80's when he did The Playhouse, and I was just blown away by the show, he was bleedin fantastic, until then, he was just that scary lookin bloke on the telly, after that show, he rocketed to the top of my fave comediens.
    I've seen his stage show twice more since then, but not for about 18 years.
    I've seen Joe Pasquale a couple of times since, took my 9 and 10 year old boys to see him, he's a very good live comedien, but he's no Doddy, he even agreed with me when I saw him the stage door once.

chippie

just finished watching the Doddy show, it was very good. I saw him live when I was, or was it before I was an elf, brilliant. As a kid back then he did it for me so for the grown ups it must have been hillarious.

Good man Ken, keep it up, yer ticklin, stick that is.

Blog Entries

What a terrific man, a legend to be treasured
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It just became available on UKnova.com

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast