Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Liverpool

Frodsham is nice and you can get to Liverpool quite easy.

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

I notice you have mentioned Tuebrook twice in your posts.

Tuebrook is no better or worse than any parts of the inner city living areas. A conservation area, plenty of large houses, a good shopping area in the brook itself, a large park on the doorstep, a market twice a week, a good bus service into town, the usual number of churches you would find in such an area, a local police station, the usual compliment of criminals and scallywags as you will find in any area. Of course there are better areas the further out you go. Also if you have kids who will be going to university, the southern areas of the city do favour the academics and the arty types. I would suggest the Lark Lane area of Aigburth as a possible area if this is your choice.

'You pays your money and you gets your choice'

Good luck in findings and welcome to Liverpool!

Smile

Their are other things I have to consider when choosing were to live.My wife does'nt drive so good transport links are important,I have a new company car every year so off road parking is essential,I also have a motorbike and a classic Saab 900 convertible so a decent size garage/workshop(or room to build one would be usefull.Finding something that ticks all the boxes is almost impossible so a compromise has to be made.Living in the city does'nt bother me,I was brought up on a rough council estate,so I'm pretty well clued up on what goes on under the surface of a large city.I'm just looking for somewhere that is'nt really down at heel.Even In the worst areas of any city,most people are decent,only a small percentage of the population are rotten,if the Law was'nt so pathetic,we would'nt be having this conversation.Anyhow,all comments are greatfully recieved,looking forward to living in Liverpool and I'm sure with all of your help we will find a new home and make lots of new friends.

Default Moving to Liverpool

I'm back again,still have'nt moved.Hoping to look at a few of houses in Walton and West Derby on Monday.Kirkby seems to be quite a competitavely priced area to buy a property in,is their any reason for this.It seems to mostly new(ish) houses,would prefer something old(Victorian etc) but new would be ok if it was big enough.Also Huyton has posibilities.Looked at a large house in Bootle last week,was ok but next door was in a terrible state,shame really as this put the wife off completely.Anyone know what its like around Hartington Road,seen a decent house their and it is south,as has been recommended by many people.

Blog Entries

There's only one place to live. Wallasey. Handy for Deeside, handy for the City. Nice place. Liverpool's good too, but second best.

George

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    There's only one place to live. Wallasey. Handy for Deeside, handy for the City. Nice place.
    Plazzy scouser's.

If your gonna quote over the river to live,try harder for a decent area like....Port Sunlight for instance.

George

Walton Village,West Derby Village area, these are decent areas to live especially West Derby village.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Plazzy scouser's.

If your gonna quote over the river to live,try harder for a decent area like....Port Sunlight for instance.
    Spot on George
    Live "Over the water", you must be having a laugh.

The Sunny Side of the street is best and that's "This side of the River"
    Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Ha, nice one guys. Used to live in Kensington and Toxteth. Not exactly a plastic scouser. I probably live closer to the Liver Buildings than most in Liverpool. My view from my window is the Pier Head.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boulter View Post
    I'm back again,still have'nt moved.Hoping to look at a few of houses in Walton and West Derby on Monday.Kirkby seems to be quite a competitavely priced area to buy a property in,is their any reason for this.It seems to mostly new(ish) houses,would prefer something old(Victorian etc) but new would be ok if it was big enough.Also Huyton has posibilities.Looked at a large house in Bootle last week,was ok but next door was in a terrible state,shame really as this put the wife off completely.Anyone know what its like around Hartington Road,seen a decent house their and it is south,as has been recommended by many people.
    Hartington rd, is near to Liverpools largest park,Sefton,near a fairly busy shopping area(Smithdown rd/Penny lane) and only a 15/20 minute bus ride to the city centre.Slightly studenty/alternative,(at least when I lived there!)with some good pub's and restaurants.

Thought I'd put my two pennyworth in. Parts of Tuebrook are great, but others are to be avoided. Everyone thinks their area is the best I know loads of people who live in Tuebrook, and they wouldn't live anywhere else. It's the same for all parts of the city.

Like Martin I live in Old Swan and would recommend it to anyone. Green Lane has a number of streets off it (Green Lane runs between Old Swan and Tuebrook) with some of the houses being four bedroomed: Guernsay and Portlet Road both have four bedroomed houses. These are solid communities who tend to welcome newcomers. I note that a number of posters have recommended Aigburth and the south side of the city. Again there is a great community spirit but the houses do tend to be more expensive.

Best of luck in your househunting - I'm sure you'll "just know" when you have got the right house.

Blog Entries

It's also the right time to move as house prices are very low at the moment and as me and Mrs Kev have just recently found out!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Did you find that out whilst looking or whilst getting your house valued. It's all relative isn't it. When your house is worth many thousands more than you know is right, so is everything else
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Thought I'd put my two pennyworth in. Parts of Tuebrook are great, but others are to be avoided. Everyone thinks their area is the best I know loads of people who live in Tuebrook, and they wouldn't live anywhere else. It's the same for all parts of the city.

Like Martin I live in Old Swan and would recommend it to anyone. Green Lane has a number of streets off it (Green Lane runs between Old Swan and Tuebrook) with some of the houses being four bedroomed: Guernsay and Portlet Road both have four bedroomed houses. These are solid communities who tend to welcome newcomers. I note that a number of posters have recommended Aigburth and the south side of the city. Again there is a great community spirit but the houses do tend to be more expensive.

Best of luck in your househunting - I'm sure you'll "just know" when you have got the right house.
    Burkhilly you are right, Tuebrook has gone a bit down at heel - although not too bad around the Burns roads, but that's about all. Many of the other roads off West Derby have become 'flat land' and looking a tad shabby to what it used to be. There are roads that I would definately avoid. Shame really as Tuebrook was a good area.

I agree with you that Guernsay & Portlet are both good. I like those roads
    Last edited by lindylou; 07-28-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Did you find that out whilst looking or whilst getting your house valued. It's all relative isn't it. When your house is worth many thousands more than you know is right, so is everything else
    exactly ged, 12 months ago it was worth 15K more than it is now.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast