Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anfield Area

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Default Anfield Area

Here's an old pic . It hasn't changed much.

Blog Entries

Gosh! Look at the state of the green triangle. It's a million times better cared for today.

Blog Entries

Don't forget to credit the source John, LRO or whatever

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Isn't that triangle of land where the phone box was situated in the Julia Wallace murder case.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

A great pity that the picture wasn't taken from the reverse angle, it would have shown the Cabbage Hall cinema!(now Liverpool F. C. Supporters Club, but with a new frontage)
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirob View Post
    A great pity that the picture wasn't taken from the reverse angle, it would have shown the Cabbage Hall cinema!(now Liverpool F. C. Supporters Club, but with a new frontage)

Hard luck,Keith!

I believe they used to have public hangings there in the old days, hence the name, Hang field, later became Anfield!

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    Gosh! Look at the state of the green triangle. It's a million times better cared for today.
    That pic must have been before 1938.
    I have a family photo taken in the 'triangle gardens ' 1938 when it was bordered with railings and hedges and had rose bushes and flower beds. ( you can see some Lupins on the right of the photo) There used to be a fountain and some benches.
    It was still a gardens in the 1950s/60s when I was growing up .. I can just about remember it. It was flattened and hedges taken away probably late 60s early 70s (not sure when it would be)

The Willow Bank pub is in the background and the shop buildings on the right still exist but are now no longer shops.

Some recent, but not very clear pics - looking at the original picture the newer Cabbage Hall pub is not yet built - the house on the oppostite side to the triangle looks much the same as it did then. Also, the water fountain on the corner of the triangle still exists but needless to say without the lamp on top.
    The third attachment is of the LFC Supporters club the original site of the old Cabbage Hall cinema - which I would LOVE to see an old photo of :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00etriangle.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	10232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05Breckrdtriangle.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	10233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04btriangleview.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	10234  
    Last edited by lindylou; 05-05-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Isn't that triangle of land where the phone box was situated in the Julia Wallace murder case.
    Yes.

There was always a phone box there right up until recent years. (but since been removed)
    Last edited by lindylou; 05-05-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirob View Post
    On my family pic - - if only the camera had been facing just a tad more to the right !!! we would see the old cinema
    Last edited by lindylou; 05-05-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    I believe they used to have public hangings there in the old days, hence the name, Hang field, later became Anfield!
    I have heard it said that Anfield was named because of hangings .. but I never heard anything about it being on the triangle !!
    I have also heard that the district was named 'Ann's Field' -something to do with a dwelling called ' Ann's cottage - which can be seen on very old maps.

Blog Entries

That's another one of these concientious definitions: Anfield was certainly called Hangfield (or Hongefield) but this is largely thought to reference the fact that the land 'hung' or sloped downwards from Everton Brow and nothing to do with hangings.

If it was named after a gallows there is no evidence of where these gallows where, or indeed why they would hang people in fields miles away from any major village, hamlet or roadway. Gallows were usually erected just outside the city walls on a prominent location such as a hill to act as a deterrent for any who may cause trouble.

The gallows of ancient Liverpool were located on the hill that is now London Road as can be evidenced by the name of the mill that was once there, Gallows Mill (a picture of it can be found here:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...llows_1825.jpg). It was at these gallows that James Stonehouse records his grandfather rememberd seeing seven men hanged following the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745.

Also the usual name for a place of hanging would be Gallowfield (of which there are several in the uk) not Hangfield.

I also noticed the Cabbage Hall pub isn't in the original photo.... well the current building at least. I've always wondered where the telephone box in the Wallace murder was, are we 100% certain it was on the triangle, if so... cool

Last edited by fortinian; 05-05-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Yes, the phone box was most definately there - - just by where there is a bus stop now - but set back from the bus stop, on the edge of the grassed area.

re name of Anfield : Interesting info.

Yes, I have heard that too about the 'hanging fields' - or the land which slopes down from Everton ridge.
    I have a very old book which describes the crossroads of Breck rd/Everton rd/Heyworh st as having a stone cross which was a general meeting point for trading and change over point for travellers. It was also known to be a notorious spot for Highway robbers !

re Cabbage Hall; I've seen old paintings and sketches of the original old Cabbage Hall which was situated on the Breck rd side rather than where the present pub is located on the bend with Walton Breck rd. (looking at the original photo you can just make out signage for Ales on the side wall.
    Last edited by lindylou; 05-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.

The most notorious place for highway robbery is now Westminster, london.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

This triangle also has a large boundary stone:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...undary&page=13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast