Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supermarkets Plasic Bags

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Yeah, Ged, those were the days when your mum used to shop day to day at the corner shop ? long before the supermarket pirates came on the scene! ...and put them out of business!

Anyway you'd need a bag the size of a coal-man's sack to carry your weekly 'shop' these days!

And don't get me started on the 'serve yerself' checkouts (I refuse to use 'em),
    they'll soon have us unloading the lorries and stacking the bloody shelves next.
    Couldn't agree more.
    We had a great corner shop where we lived. I rememebr everything was bought fresh. No sell by dates etc.
    I do rememebr my mum getting one of those "string" type bags, seemed you could fit a horse in it ! never lasted long though, she always went back to the tried and tested "Shopping Bag"

"And don't get me started on the 'serve yerself' checkouts (I refuse to use 'em), they'll soon have us unloading the lorries and stacking the bloody shelves next."

Meant to say... well they've got us taking our bins to the kerb edge, so that may well be next

We used to get to the till and pack the shopping into the supermarket's used cardboard boxes - ideal for loading into the car. They used to store them by the tills, but stopped doing them.

It's so easy to use the plastic bags, but some are now charging for them, so we now think twice.

I'd love to be able to get rid of the plastic bags. And also for the supermarkets to stop using all the plastic wrapping they use these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I understand that they also used to use old prams to get coke from the gas works in Garston !!
    'Shopping Trollies' I think they were called, often with a tartan colour scheme. I can remember how happy my mum was when she could buy a new one!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    'Shopping Trollies' I think they were called, often with a tartan colour scheme. I can remember how happy my mum was when she could buy a new one!
    Do ya remeber the leather ones with side pockets for brollies too ?

I know it's not supermarket ones, but I had to get wallpaper from B&Q the other week and u'd gotta pay for the plastic bags from there and they don't even fit wallpaper rolls properly !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Wonder if I can stand in the car park and sell my plastic bags to anyone who's unfortunate enough to have that problem. hmmmm how much should I charge
    Haha ..I'm going to do that now

Blog Entries

I understand all the arguments but isn't a lot of the problem down to how people dispose of them? Their disappearance has been a pain for us. Used ones were kept in a special bag (about the only thing we've ever bought from one of those 'essentials' magazines) in our kitchen, to be reused for a variety of other purposes.

1 Picking up poop from the garden or when out walking the dog.
    2 putting my shoes in when packing a case and not wanting to soil my clean clothes.
    3 Putting old newspaper in for the recycle collection
    4 Bagging separate coloured glass bottles before putting in the recycle box for collection (if you don't segregate the glass by colour you get a snotty note through the door).
    5 Bagging kitchen waste before taking it to our compost heap.

A truly multifunctional invention and we miss 'em!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    We had a great corner shop where we lived. I rememebr everything was bought fresh. No sell by dates etc.
    I do rememebr my mum getting one of those "string" type bags,...:
    Ha, that has just took me back to an orange string bag my mum had. Wow you're right though Mart about the load you could put in it.
    Funny how some thing just jog your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
    Haha ..I'm going to do that now
    I hope u're going to give me some royalties for using MY idea

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I understand all the arguments but isn't a lot of the problem down to how people dispose of them? Their disappearance has been a pain for us. Used ones were kept in a special bag (about the only thing we've ever bought from one of those 'essentials' magazines) in our kitchen, to be reused for a variety of other purposes.

1 Picking up poop from the garden or when out walking the dog.
    2 putting my shoes in when packing a case and not wanting to soil my clean clothes.
    3 Putting old newspaper in for the recycle collection
    4 Bagging separate coloured glass bottles before putting in the recycle box for collection (if you don't segregate the glass by colour you get a snotty note through the door).
    5 Bagging kitchen waste before taking it to our compost heap.

A truly multifunctional invention and we miss 'em!
    I use my carrier bags to take my dinner to work and then they get put into my waste bin at work. They've stopped putting bin bags in our bins, so I gotta use my own carrier bag now !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Ha, that has just took me back to an orange string bag my mum had. Wow you're right though Mart about the load you could put in it.
    Funny how some thing just jog your memory.
    I remember we had a blue nylon one with BIIIGGGGG round handles that looked like they was made from bakerlite

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post

They've stopped putting bin bags in our bins, so I gotta use my own carrier bag now !!!

Forgot that one - we do the same.

Hi folks, don't forget supermarkets always said in the past that the price of your
    Plastic bag as included in the food prices . Are they going to lower the price now they are doing away with the bags. Don't think so somehow do you.

In the 50's 60's etc Mum had her shopping bag, plastic or whicker pretty floral pattern, and a Potato bag green canvas or heavy plastic for veg.
    nothing worse than being spotted by your mates carrying the empty shopping bag on the way to do the messages. for your mum
    And if plastic carrier bags disappear what will replace them as wind Socks in trees or on telephone lines?

Blog Entries

I resuse the plastic bags, put them in my bin, so I'm saving money, long may it continue !

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    I resuse the plastic bags, put them in my bin, so I'm saving money, long may it continue !
    I have a bag full of them in my car boot, and hanging in the kitchen, The most unusual thing I have used them for was last winter, instead of putting my wellies on to
    go into the garden to put bird food out or get my dogs in, I put my slippered foot into a bag each and felt like a crime scene investigator.

Blog Entries

I put my slippered foot into a bag each and felt like a crime scene investigator

I'm sure you looked sweet, I'd have put one over my head in case I was noticed !!

Good idea Prefrab !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast