YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42

Thread: Supermarkets Plasic Bags

  1. #1
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Supermarkets Plasic Bags

    Do you think its been a good idea, the supermarkets actively withdawing plastic bags?

    I wasn't sure but am in agreement now!


    ADVERTISING


    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  2. #2
    Senior Member phredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    runcorn
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Yes I am in agreement on withdrawl.

    Take a look at "Walmart" in the USA (ASDA in the UK) nearly all use paper bags.
    If paper is good enough in the US it's good enough here.

    Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

  3. #3
    Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NORRIS GREEN/FAZAKERLEY
    Posts
    1,319
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    Yes I am in agreement on withdrawl.

    Take a look at "Walmart" in the USA (ASDA in the UK) nearly all use paper bags.
    If paper is good enough in the US it's good enough here.

    Phredd
    Yup I agree. Plastic bags appear in every stream and every pond in every city. A complete nuisance. Get rid !!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    As long as they give us something such as the long paper bags that they use in the USA

  5. #5
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Do u have to pay for the paper bags in the US ?

    It just seems like they wanna make even more money by selling their GREEN bags instead

  6. #6
    Senior Member taffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Do u have to pay for the paper bags in the US ?

    It just seems like they wanna make even more money by selling their GREEN bags instead
    When I was a lad, my Mam always had her own shopping bag. With the advent of supermarkets these seem to have died out in favour of plastic bags. Perhaps we've now come full circle and mothers will once again have their own shopping bag/s

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    Yes I am in agreement on withdrawl.

    Take a look at "Walmart" in the USA (ASDA in the UK) nearly all use paper bags.
    If paper is good enough in the US it's good enough here.

    Phredd
    WalMart still use plastic here.
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Scouser View Post
    As long as they give us something such as the long paper bags that they use in the USA
    Try walking in the rain to your car with your goods in paper bags. You end up with them on the floor.
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

  9. #9
    Senior Member gregs dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    kirkby
    Posts
    2,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Try walking in the rain to your car with your goods in paper bags. You end up with them on the floor.
    It mustn`t rain in America because they have been using them for years as seen in all the old films.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

    My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

    http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

  10. #10
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Try walking in the rain to your car with your goods in paper bags. You end up with them on the floor.
    Wonder if I can stand in the car park and sell my plastic bags to anyone who's unfortunate enough to have that problem. hmmmm how much should I charge

  11. #11
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    When I was a lad, my Mam always had her own shopping bag. With the advent of supermarkets these seem to have died out in favour of plastic bags. Perhaps we've now come full circle and mothers will once again have their own shopping bag/s
    I don't know if it was 'Garston' thing Taffy but my nan [and mum] always had a large shopping box on wheels that was pushed everywhere, I can't remember the name of them!
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  12. #12
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Shopping trolleys. We weren't that posh up the north end, just shopping bags like this woman pictured.




    Pic: LRO.
    Last edited by Ged; 05-04-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Of course, Supermarkets are a relatively new idea. When I was a youg child (1960s) there were no supermarkets. We used the Co-op and they delivered the stuff in boxes. The only supermarket I remember at that time was "Lennons" and it was the size of an ordinary shop and not a superstore. So supermarkets and plastic bags go together as there has never been an alternative. Maybe internet shopping and home deliveries is the answer.

  14. #14
    The Scarlet Pimple anonymouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Shopping trolleys. We weren't that posh up the north end, just shopping bags like this woman pictured.
    Yeah, Ged, those were the days when your mum used to shop day to day at the corner shop ? long before the supermarket pirates came on the scene! ...and put them out of business!

    Anyway you'd need a bag the size of a coal-man's sack to carry your weekly 'shop' these days!

    And don't get me started on the 'serve yerself' checkouts (I refuse to use 'em),
    they'll soon have us unloading the lorries and stacking the bloody shelves next.
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

  15. #15
    Senior Member taffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Old Prams

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I don't know if it was 'Garston' thing Taffy but my nan [and mum] always had a large shopping box on wheels that was pushed everywhere, I can't remember the name of them!
    I understand that they also used to use old prams to get coke from the gas works in Garston !!

  16. #16
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Yeah, Ged, those were the days when your mum used to shop day to day at the corner shop ? long before the supermarket pirates came on the scene! ...and put them out of business!

    Anyway you'd need a bag the size of a coal-man's sack to carry your weekly 'shop' these days!

    And don't get me started on the 'serve yerself' checkouts (I refuse to use 'em),
    they'll soon have us unloading the lorries and stacking the bloody shelves next.
    Couldn't agree more.
    We had a great corner shop where we lived. I rememebr everything was bought fresh. No sell by dates etc.
    I do rememebr my mum getting one of those "string" type bags, seemed you could fit a horse in it ! never lasted long though, she always went back to the tried and tested "Shopping Bag"

    "And don't get me started on the 'serve yerself' checkouts (I refuse to use 'em), they'll soon have us unloading the lorries and stacking the bloody shelves next."

    Meant to say... well they've got us taking our bins to the kerb edge, so that may well be next

  17. #17
    Member redjed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    childwall
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    We used to get to the till and pack the shopping into the supermarket's used cardboard boxes - ideal for loading into the car. They used to store them by the tills, but stopped doing them.

    It's so easy to use the plastic bags, but some are now charging for them, so we now think twice.

    I'd love to be able to get rid of the plastic bags. And also for the supermarkets to stop using all the plastic wrapping they use these days.

  18. #18
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I understand that they also used to use old prams to get coke from the gas works in Garston !!
    'Shopping Trollies' I think they were called, often with a tartan colour scheme. I can remember how happy my mum was when she could buy a new one!
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  19. #19
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    'Shopping Trollies' I think they were called, often with a tartan colour scheme. I can remember how happy my mum was when she could buy a new one!
    Do ya remeber the leather ones with side pockets for brollies too ?

    I know it's not supermarket ones, but I had to get wallpaper from B&Q the other week and u'd gotta pay for the plastic bags from there and they don't even fit wallpaper rolls properly !!!!

  20. #20
    Member Kuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC atm In UK
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Wonder if I can stand in the car park and sell my plastic bags to anyone who's unfortunate enough to have that problem. hmmmm how much should I charge
    Haha ..I'm going to do that now

  21. #21
    Senior Member kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Midlands
    Age
    66
    Posts
    879
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I understand all the arguments but isn't a lot of the problem down to how people dispose of them? Their disappearance has been a pain for us. Used ones were kept in a special bag (about the only thing we've ever bought from one of those 'essentials' magazines) in our kitchen, to be reused for a variety of other purposes.

    1 Picking up poop from the garden or when out walking the dog.
    2 putting my shoes in when packing a case and not wanting to soil my clean clothes.
    3 Putting old newspaper in for the recycle collection
    4 Bagging separate coloured glass bottles before putting in the recycle box for collection (if you don't segregate the glass by colour you get a snotty note through the door).
    5 Bagging kitchen waste before taking it to our compost heap.

    A truly multifunctional invention and we miss 'em!

  22. #22
    Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NORRIS GREEN/FAZAKERLEY
    Posts
    1,319
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    We had a great corner shop where we lived. I rememebr everything was bought fresh. No sell by dates etc.
    I do rememebr my mum getting one of those "string" type bags,...:
    Ha, that has just took me back to an orange string bag my mum had. Wow you're right though Mart about the load you could put in it.
    Funny how some thing just jog your memory.

  23. #23
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
    Haha ..I'm going to do that now
    I hope u're going to give me some royalties for using MY idea

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I understand all the arguments but isn't a lot of the problem down to how people dispose of them? Their disappearance has been a pain for us. Used ones were kept in a special bag (about the only thing we've ever bought from one of those 'essentials' magazines) in our kitchen, to be reused for a variety of other purposes.

    1 Picking up poop from the garden or when out walking the dog.
    2 putting my shoes in when packing a case and not wanting to soil my clean clothes.
    3 Putting old newspaper in for the recycle collection
    4 Bagging separate coloured glass bottles before putting in the recycle box for collection (if you don't segregate the glass by colour you get a snotty note through the door).
    5 Bagging kitchen waste before taking it to our compost heap.

    A truly multifunctional invention and we miss 'em!
    I use my carrier bags to take my dinner to work and then they get put into my waste bin at work. They've stopped putting bin bags in our bins, so I gotta use my own carrier bag now !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Ha, that has just took me back to an orange string bag my mum had. Wow you're right though Mart about the load you could put in it.
    Funny how some thing just jog your memory.
    I remember we had a blue nylon one with BIIIGGGGG round handles that looked like they was made from bakerlite

  24. #24
    Senior Member kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Midlands
    Age
    66
    Posts
    879
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post

    They've stopped putting bin bags in our bins, so I gotta use my own carrier bag now !!!



    Forgot that one - we do the same.

  25. #25
    Member johno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi folks, don't forget supermarkets always said in the past that the price of your
    Plastic bag as included in the food prices . Are they going to lower the price now they are doing away with the bags. Don't think so somehow do you.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Prefrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool ( The Pool of Life)
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    In the 50's 60's etc Mum had her shopping bag, plastic or whicker pretty floral pattern, and a Potato bag green canvas or heavy plastic for veg.
    nothing worse than being spotted by your mates carrying the empty shopping bag on the way to do the messages. for your mum
    And if plastic carrier bags disappear what will replace them as wind Socks in trees or on telephone lines?

  27. #27
    Senior Member Marty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I resuse the plastic bags, put them in my bin, so I'm saving money, long may it continue !

  28. #28
    Senior Member Prefrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool ( The Pool of Life)
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    I resuse the plastic bags, put them in my bin, so I'm saving money, long may it continue !
    I have a bag full of them in my car boot, and hanging in the kitchen, The most unusual thing I have used them for was last winter, instead of putting my wellies on to
    go into the garden to put bird food out or get my dogs in, I put my slippered foot into a bag each and felt like a crime scene investigator.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Marty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I put my slippered foot into a bag each and felt like a crime scene investigator


    I'm sure you looked sweet, I'd have put one over my head in case I was noticed !!

  30. #30
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Good idea Prefrab !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Supermarkets / Retail History
    By Ross08 in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!