YO! Liverpool

Thread: Garston Chester Street,Chesterton Street

Thanks

Default Garston Chester Street,Chesterton Street

Hello all,
    I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have a map dated 1905 and I also know that Chesterton Street is still there in fact the Woodcutters club is there. However in the 1901 census there is no mention of it only Chester Street, I also have various trade adverts in directories dated 1898-1900 and birth certs dated 1896, 1898 and 1900 all giving Chester Street as an address. Is this Chester Street now called Chesterton Street or is it a totally different street - can someone help please. Incidentally does anyone know if no. 1 chesterton street is still standing?

ADVERTISING

Celia Couzins

Thanks

Default Chester Street Garston

Quote Originally Posted by celiatoo View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have a map dated 1905 and I also know that Chesterton Street is still there in fact the Woodcutters club is there. However in the 1901 census there is no mention of it only Chester Street, I also have various trade adverts in directories dated 1898-1900 and birth certs dated 1896, 1898 and 1900 all giving Chester Street as an address. Is this Chester Street now called Chesterton Street or is it a totally different street - can someone help please. Incidentally does anyone know if no. 1 chesterton street is still standing?

Celia Couzins
    It looks like Chester St was changed to Chesterton St. Several parallel roads in the area were named after cathedral towns : York, Durham, Canterbury. I presume Chester St was changed to Chesterton to avoid confusion with a similarly named street in Liverpool after Garston merged with Liverpool in 1902. This would tie in with the 1901 census and the 1905 map entries

Thanks

Default Paddy

My friend Paddy Grant lived in Chesterton Street he died young in tragic circumstances!
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas