Thread: I M Marsh Campus Liverpool John Moores University campus Aigburth

Blog Entries

Exclamation I M Marsh Campus Liverpool John Moores University campus Aigburth

Took a trip down memory lane today, thought it hadn't been that long TBH but realised it had been 14 years since I studied there!

Anyway, it was founded in 1900 by Irene Mable Marsh as a Physical Education Teacher Training college for Girls.

^^The old 'outdoor' swimming pool now filled in^^

There are some cracking pics of the old College and Irene Marsh here: http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/corporatecommunications/95543.htm

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Hi Kev,
    Memory lane indeed. We used to go skinny dipping in the outside pool in about 1968, after a night in The Grapes - where the Aigburth Arms now is. We also used to go to discos there on a Friday night.

I'm an external examiner for JMU and will be attending exam boards at IMM in June - the first time I'll have been back on site since the 60s. I'll be there for two days so if you fancy meeting for a pint in the area that would be nice.
    Kevin

Blog Entries

Hi Kevin, cheers for the comments, I'll see what I'm up to nearer the time.

I spent 4 years there, the place hasn't changed at all. Its weird how much of a free reign we had wilst there, we could walk where ever we wanted, explored the nuildings etc and not once at the time did I take any pics.

Those were the days b4 digi cameras were popular.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Campus Development update

IM Marsh Campus

artist's impression

The Project Board have now approved the final designs for a new building at IM Marsh which is due to be submitted for planning permission next month following extensive consultation with the surrounding neighbourhood.

The new building will be situated within the IM Marsh campus and will provide teaching accommodation, office space as well as a central social aspect for all staff and students.

The project team are now considering a number of models related to explicit pedestrianisation of the site to ensure maximum safety for everyone who uses the facilities and the location and management of existing and future car parks.

The Learning Resource Centre will also be remodelled to encompass the new service model for student facing services.

Source: LJMU News Update

Blog Entries

Cheers Howie, I never knew that was on the cards.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I remember rolling down the little slopes at the bottom of the field when I was about ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Cheers Howie, I never knew that was on the cards.
    IM Marsh new building unveiled
    20 April 2009

Planning permission has now been submitted for a brand new development at IM Marsh.

The ?3m development will provide the campus with a purpose-built two storey teaching building incorporating new communal break-out spaces for staff and students, including a first floor roof terrace which is designed to make the most of the building?s fantastic setting on Mossley Hill and its inspirational views over the River Mersey.

Liverpool-based architects, Weightman and Bullen, won the tender to design the new building, and have considerable expertise designing educational projects. Weightman and Bullen have previously worked with LJMU on designing the social learning zones and the Graduate Development Centre.

Two informal drop-in sessions have been arranged for students, staff and the local community to find out more about the new building as well as other development plans for the campus on Thursday 23 April. The sessions will take place 2.00pm ? 4.30pm and 5.00pm ? 7.30pm. Just call into the main reception area to view the images of the site and staff will be on hand to chat through the plans.

Campus Developments at IM Marsh
    05 May 2009

The IM Marsh Campus is soon to feature a new purpose-built teaching and learning environment and improved access and landscaping features.

The new two-storey build includes four classrooms, staff accommodation and a student learning zone ? an effective learning environment that has proved popular in other areas of the University, where students can work either individually or in small project groups whilst having a coffee.

The palette of materials to be used has been chosen to complement the existing buildings. With this new facility the Faculty of Education, Community and Leisure will be able to deliver programmes in large, open, flexible spaces that can be configured as required for each individual activity.

Alongside the new build, a travel plan is due for implementation in September to promote a more pedestrian-friendly environment, enabling more walking and cycle storage as an incentive to staff, students and visitors.

Additional car parking spaces and traffic calming measures are also being planned to ease congestion and minimise traffic speed, creating a safer environment for both pedestrians and cyclists.

For the latest information about LJMU?s campus development programme, visit: www.ljmu.ac.uk/campusdevelopments

Cool College Times

We swam naked in the outdoor swimming pool the girls had gone for the summer break. The caretaker chased us. We all danced together beautiful girls in Rugby shirts those were the days.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas