Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade I, II and II* listed buildings in Liverpool

I understand that the building on Parli has been put back up for sale due to the *charity* that wish to aquire it fell short in their fundraising for a an amount the church had requested.

I wonder if anyone has any information on the seemingly dissused IBO Community Centre Princess Park Drive, surely a building of its stature would be listed but doesnt seem to show up. I am aware that MSDP who are now based on Queens Drive had the building as their home anyone any other information on the building, I mean how could a listed building have that hideous extension ploncked on the back?

I

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F View Post
    I wonder if anyone has any information on the seemingly dissused IBO Community Centre Princess Park Drive, surely a building of its stature would be listed but doesnt seem to show up. I am aware that MSDP who are now based on Queens Drive had the building as their home anyone any other information on the building, I mean how could a listed building have that hideous extension ploncked on the back?

I
    It is Listed.
    (April 14, 1975 II Princes Avenue (east side) L8 Merseyside Centre for the Deaf)
    The extension was there before it was Listed.
    It was built 1886-7 as the Adult Deaf and Dumb Institute.

The North Corporation Primary School (Bevington Bush, Vauxhall) which you describe as Grade II listed was delisted in 2004 and demolished soon after. The land is currently wasteland although a wall of the school remains.

I understand it was once St Bridgets then became the nit nurse clinic and where you got your BCG etc.

Not arf plugging my site today sorry folks, but there is a pic of it in a snow scene about a third of the way down on this page: http://pic7.piczo.com/inacityliving/?g=41897456
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cadfael

Put up a new page on my Building at Risk page for Kiln Hey

http://www.buildingatrisk.co.uk/kilnhey
    Last edited by Cadfael; 12-27-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Talking of listings. Does anyone know where in Liverpool you may find a grade II listed structure inside a Grade I listed building, both designed by the same person.?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Talking of listings. Does anyone know where in Liverpool you may find a grade II listed structure inside a Grade I listed building, both designed by the same person.?
    Telephone box in the Anglican Cathedral.
    Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.

Well did kid

Smile Addition to Liverpool Listed Buildings

Galkoff`s Kosher Butcher’s shop in Pembroke Place,

Grade II listed in April 2007 and looks like it will shortly be lost through the deteriorating condition of the city council own neighbouring property.

http://galkoffs.tripod.com/

Cadfael

A snippit of info but the tiles that are still on the shop window, I've a picture of the factory which made them - Overbury Street in Edge Hill.

Default Galkoff`s

Could you post the picture please. Do you have any more information on the company that made the tiles and are you sure it is the correct company.
    Rosco

Greenbank Drive Synagogue has been been upgraded to Grade II* (from Grade II). Source: Liverpool Echo 31/1/2008 (page 26). The article states that it closed on Jan 8th.

Default DESPERATE TO SAVE GALKOFFS

the guy who owns galkoff's and has worked tirelessly in his attempt to save the building is still talking <many years> may i add with the city council and other interested parties. he is only too aware of the state of the adjoining building and is desparate for our city fathers to acknowledge the disrepair and act immediately. the guy in question is liverpool born and bred,who is keen for liverpool to retain as much as possible of its heritage,he was responsible for the listing and we should wish him well in his selfless endeavours.

The owner, Rob Ainsworth of The Liverpool Heritage Society is a very decent chap indeed, I wish him all the luck in the world, he'll need it with that council. When they have a self inflicted 60m shortfall though, the likes of statues for Chavasse, Epstein or old buildings like this will sadly be bottom of their agenda.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The owner, Rob Ainsworth of The Liverpool Heritage Society is a very decent chap indeed, I wish him all the luck in the world, he'll need it with that council. When they have a self inflicted 60m shortfall though, the likes of statues for Chavasse, Epstein or old buildings like this will sadly be bottom of their agenda.
    Unfortunately true.
    There's another planning application on Tuesday (Town Hall, 9.30) about the proposal to demolish the former Bedford Cinema in Walton.
    English Heritage won't list it, despite the fact the exterior is one of only about five in the UK that date from the first year of building cinemas.
    Just before Christmas workmen took hammers to all the decorative plasterwork on the facade, because the Planning Committee asked them to consider incorporating the facade in the new development.
    I'll go on Tuesday, but I'm not hopeful.

"More Listed Buildings than..................."
    Only by accident - certainly not by design.

Last edited by PhilipG; 02-01-2008 at 12:56 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast