Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade I, II and II* listed buildings in Liverpool

Default Christian Scientist Church

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    I am an architectural historian, looking at 20th century churches.

English Heritage list as Grade 2 listed the Third Church of Christ Scientist, Upper Parliament Street. It was listed in 1975. It was built - as the Church of Humanity - by W H Ansell in 1914. It is, according to Multimaps, on the corner of Hope Street and Upper Parliament Street.

It has a telephone number which is not replying. According to another Christian Scientist church in Manchester, it is no longer operating as a church.

Question - does anyone have any idea how I might be able to find out who can let me in to see the inside of this important modernist building?
    The Church is closed and was recently sold. Check with Land Registry Office in Birkenhead as to current ownership

I read somewhere that church was going to be converted to Luxury Apartments.

Default Third Church of Christ Scientist

Thanks for your replies.
    The building is not registered at the Land Registry, which it would be at once as soon as it was sold. That means, if it has been sold, the deal hasn't been done yet!
    I have asked English Heritage if they know anything about it - as it is Grade II, they ought to be informed of any plans.

Default Third Church of Christ Scientist

I have just been on to Liverpool council planning department, and there is no planning application lodged relating to the church.

Which means, if it has been sold, no-one has yet got round to drawing up a detailed development proposal - and I have no way of knowing who bought it!

Incidentally, I have now discovered its address: 35 Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool L8 7LA.

Any more snippets, gratefully received.

Alec

DaisyChains

I don't know if this is a silly question or not...but who and what decided if a building is listed or not?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    I don't know if this is a silly question or not...but who and what decided if a building is listed or not?
    English Heritage, ultimately.
    But anyone can put forward a building for Listing.

Default That church - for sale, it is.

The Third Church of Christ Scientist on Upper Parliament Street ("Temple of Humanity" as was) is once again on the market. The agent is Dears Brack. However, as the building is listed Grade II, I am not sure whether a change of use to flats will be possible. I will contact the agent to see if I can find out more.

I have been told there was a great scandal around the time of the end of the building's life as the Temple of Humanity, involving a love triangle and a murder. Anyone got any info? I was told Tom Sleman (sp?) Liverpool folklorist and historian knew more, but I have been unable to track him down. He used to write for the Echo, I think, but seems not to now.

Alec

scouserdave

Alec, there's some info here and also some interesting patent info unrelated to the church here

A HISTORIC building has been saved from demolition at the last minute after being given listed status.

Conservation officers stepped in at the eleventh hour to save the old Westminster Road police and fire station in Kirkdale from the bulldozers.

Read more and view pictures here.
    Last edited by Kev; 10-27-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Cheers Paul, I've shortened it 'cause there was already a thread. I've included the link to the thread in your post.

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Cheers Paul, I've shortened it 'cause there was already a thread. I've included the link to the thread in your post.

Kev
    Alright Kev.

Default 3rd Church of Christ Scientist, Upper Parliament Street

Just thought an update might be of interest.

There is, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, a "For Sale" sign back up at the Third Church of Christ Scientist in Upper Parliament Street. The agent is Dears Brack. I called them in the week of 15 October, and they said they had had 'a couple of expressions of interest.' As the building is Grade II listed, I am not too sure what any developer will be able to do to the rather striking and uncompromisingly 'Modernist' interior.

By the way, I attended a rather beautiful and interesting service at the church on 2 September, and was warmly welcomed by the congregation. Like many churches they are finding numbers dwindling, and the building - which has extensive rooms in the basement as well as the church proper - is way too big for them.

Thanks to everyone who has offered ideas and help, especially scouserdave, who unearthed stuff on the "Positivist Tragedy".

Alec

Blog Entries

Everton Library in St Domingo Rd is up for sale

Its a lovely building but has been left to deteriate since the Library moved out

http://www.2020liverpool.co.uk/html_...em.php?id=0061
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

If a building is listed is there anyway it can become unlisted? What if a building is bought but left abandoned? I'd hate to see beautiful buidings pulled down and flats built upon the grounds

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCake View Post
    If a building is listed is there anyway it can become unlisted? What if a building is bought but left abandoned? I'd hate to see beautiful buidings pulled down and flats built upon the grounds
    Yes, it's called "delisting", and has happened numerous times to Liverpool buildings, which have then been demolished after being declared "Dangerous Structures".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast