Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Grafton

Blog Entries

As a young jack ashore,the Grafton was on our hunting ground,we never went there on a weekend,the Grafton was for Wednesdays and Fridays ,it was the Locarno on a Saturday. Those grab a granny nights were a bit of a misnomer,Wednesdays would see housewives from out of town, who were usually with friends and were up for shopping and dancing;Fridays it was full of hen parties and a young man could'nt go wrong on either night .I never once saw trouble at the Grafton and it was the exception to the rule at the Locarno too. I remember going to the Locarno with a shipmate in early '61. It was advertised to go on past midnight,this was on a Thursday and by 10.0clock most people had gone home. We had clicked with a couple of good jivers and Terry said that we should stop to the bitter end. As the minutes crept past ten,some members of the band put their overcoats on,this was in the days of the big bands. slowly some of them slipped away and the bar staff put the towels on(it was not half past ten yet) Soon there were just the four of us ,and a piano player,drummer and a guitarist. The bouncers came and stood around our table asking us if we had'nt got homes to go to. Terry said this gig was supposed to go on to the early hours;I kept my mouth shut,they were big men those bouncers.
    One of them said to his mate"These guys must love hospital food " And all the while I was motioning to Terry to get the hell out of there. With the bouncers almost shoving us out of there, we slowly made our way to the exit,with Terry all the while complaining that he wanted his money back.
    There were other places to go on the rand, Reeces,the Peepermint Lounge
    and a place just by the Bluecoat School, I think it was over Bon Marche.
    If I did'nt go out at least four times a week my mother would think I was sickening for something,they were great days,going home each morning from a different direction,
    BrianD

John(Zappa)

My parents met in the Grafton. My mum used to tell me how it was a respectable place with respectable people

Default re: love,marrage and the grafton

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    My parents met in the Grafton. My mum used to tell me how it was a respectable place with respectable people
    I met my first wife there when it wasn't so respectable but 'despite' that I still have fond memories of the Graften

What is the best place now, for a 'grab a granny'-experience?

The last time I was in the Grafton was1960. I worked for a short time at John Relf in Hygea Street just round the corner from the Grafton

Quote Originally Posted by Splodge View Post
    Why?

You desperate?

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Some great nights in the Grafton.Saw the Edgar Broughton Band there,that was a good night.A mates wedding do,and my 'going away' do, great nights as my mates mum worked behind the bar.

Blog Entries

That's you Wayne isn't it? Don't tell Coleen now for God's sake.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

"Age Concern" Stanley st.

The Grafton in the 50's with Guest Bands like Ronnie Scott, Ted Heath, Jack Parnell.
    When the neon sign over the Band read 'Jive' - wow! That place rocked!(and rolled).
    btw the resident band of Mrs Wilf Hamer (with Chips Chippendale) could hold their own with most visiting bands.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDainty View Post
    I met my first wife there when it wasn't so respectable but 'despite' that I still have fond memories of the Graften
    And here's a pic of my mum (right) with two of her friends in The Grafton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mum & 2 unknown.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	23060

How sweet and innocent look the girls of that era. very different from the Graftonites of recent years!
    Shame the Grafton lost it's respectable reputation - I believe they used to have tea dances there in times gone by.

It was a great ballroom! I danced in the 'Festival of Youth' ballroom dancing competition, there, way back in 1948(or there-about). (wonder if I ever met Zaps Mum there????)

Great memories of the Locarno and Grafton. In 1959/60 As fifth form schoolgirls we used to go to the Locarno on Tuesday nights and the Grafton on Thursdays. Grafton was for more ballroom dancing and they used to let nurses in free before 8 o clock ( to get the guys to come in early and spend their beer money in the Grafton rather then Gregson's Well) The Blue Angel Club also let nurses in for free. I can also remember Saturday lunch time teenage club at the Locarno always finishing up with Sam Cooke Save the Last Dance for Me ot the Everley's Bye Bye Love. No messing around,good looking girls dancing their hearts out and the few smartly turned out brave lads joining in.Soon after the Cavern, Iron Door, Mardi Gras and other clubs were the places to go and I never went back to the Loc again

Gawd! I'm mixing wiv old folk on here late 80's early 90's was my stint in the Graffy(Sausage Factory),ale was shocking and the bottled stuff was expensive,management had their heads screwed on in that dive watered down lager and so yer had to buy the bottled stuff for a decent drink...no wonder the women took half bottles of the hard stuff in their handbags and then disappear into the lavvie to top their glasses up so's not to get caught by staff.

The younger bit of stuff was on the second floor.

Hey Kev,you musta been going when they started letting the Wheelies in?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast