Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friends of the park Rathbone park

I believe that the site currently occupied by the derelict Skelly's car sales/Carpet World is to be made into a park to compensate the loss of Rathbone.

Quote Originally Posted by JMLE View Post
    I believe that the site currently occupied by the derelict Skelly's car sales/Carpet World is to be made into a park to compensate the loss of Rathbone.
    Good to hear. Thanks!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by JMLE View Post
    I heard that too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello Andy

I am very sorry to hear that permission to build this cinema has been granted. It looks to be out of keeping sizewise with the neighborhood as well as meaning the loss of critical open space. I join you in lamenting what has been decided.

Chris
    I wouldn't mind if it were going to be in any way different from all the other cinemas, but presumably it'll be part of a US-based chain showing all the usual garbage... As if we haven't got enough already!

Default Replacement Park:

The "Replacement Park" is to be located on the old gas fire factory site at Mill Lane.

The Robinson Wiley site is already smaller than the Rathbone Park Location, and Derwent Holdings are constantly changing the "conditions" of their "investment".

There will be a better "Cincinatti"(?) pitch provided 2miles away to replace rathbone's poor conditioned pitch - though at that distance it won't stop the local kids using my car as the goalposts again! This will be built on existing public park space.

The "Replacement park" - often touted as being "Larger, Victorian Style" is actually 2/3rds the size of Rathbone, and for security (to cut down on Antisocial behaviour that blights Rathbone Park at night) the council have decided if they build a few houses on the smaller park space the local residents will keep the antisocial behaviour to a minimum.

It is not clear whether Derwent Holdings or the Council will provide the Batman, Superman and Spiderman outfits for the residents enforcing the peace in the "replacement park"

Earlier this month they told the council they wanted lorry/HGV access to units 1-13 of the new retail park through Binns Road Residential area. I believe this has been turned down, but just shows AEW/Derwent are trying to change many factors to their favor when they think no one will notice.

Now I've had my rant, I guess I'm resigned to it and won't cause more problems, by the sounds of it many of the people in my neighbourhood who said they'd written to the council haven't done so, and two people who've told me they were organising a petition "must have forgotten to post it".

I do hope the regeneration works, as even though it's Derwent who are responsible for the eyesores along edge lane, I want those eyesores gone. More jobs in the area are going to be welcome, but I just really don't want to see Liverpool reliant on Retail jobs, there has to be other ways we can keep people employed.

-AS

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

This shows Rathbone Park and (to the Right) the outline of the replacement park that is now even smaller because they wish to build a few houses for the vigilanties to live in.

Our lovely new "Australian" Retail Park. Sadly AEW have paid little attention to detail in this artwork too.

Here in Northern Hemisphere areas like liverpool Shadows are projected onto surfaces Pointing in a Northerly direction, here they clearly point south easterly.

I'd be laughing at this amateurish rendering if we hadn't just lost our park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12