Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends of the park Rathbone park

Post Friends of the park Rathbone park

I am new on the site but i am trying to gather some supporters for a group im trying to start ive been in touch with the relevant councilors and have the documents needed to help me along the way all i need now is some support to make the council listen. I have recently been redoing the pitch boundary marks for the children to play football . Supplying the paint myself along with the help of a local who walks his dog there his name is Andy . He payed for the paint to start the second pitch, and a big thank you to you. Well if i can gather support for a small group who would meet up every 2 months or so to discus plans for the park then i maay be able to get a grant for football sponsorship for the local children which would provide kits goals a portacabin to keep goals in and safe . and the council would renovate the pitch area and enter the cjhildren into local leagues with rathbone as there home pitch. anyone interested leave me a note thanks dean

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone pis 012.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	9993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone pis 004.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	9994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone pis 001.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	9995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone pis 011.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	9996  
    Last edited by obideano; 04-13-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: adding pics

Good luck. There's a few Swanites on here, one of which keeps smashing windows around Fitzgerald street. These pitches are a must for the likes of him.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

thanks for comment on the park , i am currently trying to get the council to provide the paint for the pitch markings i am hoping that with a few events called fit and fun in the park coming up arranged by the council that they might supply the paint for the pitches etc with it costing them nothing for the work to actually be carried out by myself. fingers crossed and ill update the site as and when i have news regarding plans for the park. Such a shame its been left to sit there empty when it had so much stuff in it when i was a child , play centre swings slides the lot. i am after pics of back in the days of the play centre etc if anyone can help. thanks dean

Default rathbone park goodies

since my last post Rathbone park has received litter bins , dog poop bins and benches. i contacted local councilors to see about getting some flower beds put in but due to finances that couldn't be done . however councilors did offer to put large planted pots at each entrance to the park as a trial to see if they actually survive the kids and possible vandalism. if you care about the park contact derek.dottie@liverpool.gov.uk regarding any issues and im sure things will begin to happen .

Good Luck to you. I think its marvelous you are trying to improve your area and are a doer.. not just a complainer.. Hope others will help in your quest.. It takes one small step..and maybe a neighborhood can improve for all..

Quote Originally Posted by obideano View Post
    since my last post Rathbone park has received litter bins , dog poop bins and benches. i contacted local councilors to see about getting some flower beds put in but due to finances that couldn't be done . however councilors did offer to put large planted pots at each entrance to the park as a trial to see if they actually survive the kids and possible vandalism. if you care about the park contact derek.dottie@liverpool.gov.uk regarding any issues and im sure things will begin to happen .
    Good luck on your project Dean, but dont expect too much from the council, you are not far south enough in the city for the council to get involved.

All our good work and campaigning for Rathbone Park to be made a better place is going to be wasted in the next few weeks.

Planning permission has been requested by Derwent Holdings Ltd (a Company from Isle of Man who are responsible for the hideous derelict buildings that have been along Edge Lane for the last four years) to build on the site.

Their plans are to make a 33metre/100ft tall Cinema Complex and remove the Park.

They also wish to completely box in Sapphire Street/Garnett Street/Binns Road/Runic Street/Oceanic Road with a tall wall after surrounding them with commercial properties.

Plans are here:
    http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/Do...APP&key=764692

Note Particularly "Landscape MASTERPLAN - AERIAL.pdf"
    and:
    "M3458_P3 P105 Edge Lane Colour Elevation.jpg"
    and:
    "M3458_P3-202A Leisure Elevations.pdf"

People don't realise how bad this will be for the area and for residents surrounding the Park.

The Park needs more investment. It needs more modern facilities.

I've spoken to my local councilor, who has expressed her support for keeping the Park where it is and not building a 33metre tall (100ft+) monstrosity on the site.

Does anyone still care about these parks as much as me and my family?

I have two young daughters. If this goes ahead they will have to walk across two very busy and dangerous roads to use a park, and it will seriously alter the characteristics of the local area: already surrounded on two sides by commercial properties.

Please tell me what you all think?

How should we all proceed?

-Andy,
    Binns Road.
    Last edited by andysuth; 10-16-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Specific Files named

It's a pity that they want to build on the park,but maybe it's the price of regeneration?I often pass the park,but hardly ever see anyone using it,but that's probably because of the lack of any facilities,other than some grass!

Quote Originally Posted by andysuth View Post
    All our good work and campaigning for Rathbone Park to be made a better place is going to be wasted in the next few weeks.

Planning permission has been requested by Derwent Holdings Ltd (a Company from Isle of Man who are responsible for the hideous derelict buildings that have been along Edge Lane for the last four years) to build on the site.

Their plans are to make a 33metre/100ft tall Cinema Complex and remove the Park.

They also wish to completely box in Sapphire Street/Garnett Street/Binns Road/Runic Street/Oceanic Road with a tall wall after surrounding them with commercial properties.

Plans are here:
    http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/Do...APP&key=764692

Note Particularly "Landscape MASTERPLAN - AERIAL.pdf"
    and:
    "M3458_P3 P105 Edge Lane Colour Elevation.jpg"
    and:
    "M3458_P3-202A Leisure Elevations.pdf"

People don't realise how bad this will be for the area and for residents surrounding the Park.

The Park needs more investment. It needs more modern facilities.

I've spoken to my local councilor, who has expressed her support for keeping the Park where it is and not building a 33metre tall (100ft+) monstrosity on the site.

Does anyone still care about these parks as much as me and my family?

I have two young daughters. If this goes ahead they will have to walk across two very busy and dangerous roads to use a park, and it will seriously alter the characteristics of the local area: already surrounded on two sides by commercial properties.

Please tell me what you all think?

How should we all proceed?

-Andy,
    Binns Road.
    I suggest you immediately contact Councillor Tim Moore, Cabinet Member for Parks and Green Spaces. As someone involved with the Friends Of Princes Park I have been very impressed with the way he has not only listened to our requests, but apparently been able to get the ear of key decision-makers to ensure that refurbishment promises, made years ago with regard to our park, are finally beginning to be honoured. I know your situation is a bit different, but it might be worth a try...

Default Users per square metre.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    It's a pity that they want to build on the park,but maybe it's the price of regeneration?I often pass the park,but hardly ever see anyone using it,but that's probably because of the lack of any facilities,other than some grass!
    When I'm in there there are normally at least two other groups of people, that's a fair number of people for a small park like that.

For the size of it, that must surely be comparible to the use of Sefton or Calderstones parks. e.g. divide the Land of the park by the number of users. Sefton and Calderstones are used by a lot more people but are also vastly bigger parks.

I should know how big it is now, but don't so will look on Google Earth tonight.

There's a nasty rumour going around that the council have already sold the Park to the Development Company, Derwent Holdings, as a new gate appeared at the weekend and locked users out of the Rathbone Park (Runic Street entrance). This gate would be bricked up when they build a cinema there.

I've started a cheap and cheerful website to try and keep people informed about the planning permission etc. It's called:
    www.rathbonepark.co.uk

Visit us!

-AS
    Last edited by andysuth; 10-19-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: original sounded wrong.

Default A Quick scale drawing

I've just done a very quick scale drawing to show how Rathbone Park's planned Cinema scales up to a house in Oceanic Street.

It's more or less to scale, and shows how big a house from Oceanic would be if it was moved to Edge Lane and kept at ground level.

I think the houses on Edge Lane won't receive any sunlight during the Winter Months.

-Andy.

I only ever see it from the road,so maybe I've missed any activity? I also pass the North park,in Bootle,and since it was refurbished,with new swings,facilities,etc,it's usually quite busy,though for years previously,it looked barren!Some investment would probably would make a difference,so good luck with your plans!

Default last day for objections today.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I only ever see it from the road,so maybe I've missed any activity? I also pass the North park,in Bootle,and since it was refurbished,with new swings,facilities,etc,it's usually quite busy,though for years previously,it looked barren!Some investment would probably would make a difference,so good luck with your plans!
    I know you didn't mean it in a bad way, and I'm sorry if I sounded a little as-y when I replied.

Truth is, I think AEW, Derwent and the Council only walked past it to see what the usage was like!

It's the last day to complain about the planning permission tomorrow, fortunately the Liverpool Council Planning Department allows you to write a short complaint online:
    https://liverpoolcc.firmstep.com/pop...me=Gox9jKU1DlI

(ref 10f/2235)

Or here's a direct link I got working:
    http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/Pl...aspx?pk=764692

I've written a 9 page reply to the plans, not objecting to every aspect, just the ones that will make our lives worse. I've also asked after 4 irregularities in the application the decision be postponed until all the neighbours have had chance to read the 222 files they have on the council website for this application.

-Andy.l
    Last edited by andysuth; 10-25-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: direct link started working.

Default Rathbone Park is now consigned to History.

I'm sorry to report that planning permission has been granted to build the 72' (22m) tall cinema on Rathbone Park.

I'm a little annoyed as nothing I said was taken on board by the council.

There was an official protest lodged by Knowsley Council, to which Joe Anderson informed those at the meeting that "75% of jobs in Liverpool go to people in the surrounding areas".

When combined with the fact this new development is only set to increase the number of jobs by 1,500, this means only 375 new jobs for people of Liverpool will be created by the removal of our park. That assumes Derwent Holdings can fill the Retail Park with Retail businesses in these uncertain times for high street selling.

No official reply was given as to how this is different to the "Big Yellow Storage", which was limited to 13m high (to match the roof level of the pub next door).

The highlight of the meeting was one of the councillors who said "Rathbone Park is one of the Grot Spots on Edge Lane". If he has such a dim view of the park, he must have a really dim view of those of use who enjoy it as our only bit of open space.

No wonder he felt so at ease with the conclusion that the overall scheme was worth some of us Old Swanites suffering for.

Apparently, Derwent holdings also requested last minute alterations to their masterplan to allow HGV access to units 1-13 through Binns Road Residential Area. This is a major concern as I have two very young daughters who would be put further at risk by these European Lorries racing past our house.

The decision was made months ago, everything else has just been ticking boxes, we had no hope in hell of fighting a huge Isle of Man business, we're only local residents.

It is a sad day, the lose of Rathbone Park coincides with the loss of my faith in the planning process.

-Andysuth.

Hello Andy

I am very sorry to hear that permission to build this cinema has been granted. It looks to be out of keeping sizewise with the neighborhood as well as meaning the loss of critical open space. I join you in lamenting what has been decided.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast