Thread: Philanthropist Emily Tinne?s elegant wardrobe exhibition Sudley House, Mossley Hill

Blog Entries

Default Philanthropist Emily Tinne?s elegant wardrobe exhibition Sudley House, Mossley Hill

A LOST world between 1910 and 1940 has been recreated using the wardrobe of philanthropist Emily Tinne, who lived in south Liverpool.

Sudley House, in Mossley Hill, is hosting the exhibition which features the hardly- worn garments discovered in tea chests following her death in 1966.

A Sweet Life: Fashion in a Liverpool sugar merchant?s family, also uses unpublished family letters to reveal the day-to-day life of Mrs Tinne, her wealthy general practitioner husband, Philip, and their six children.

The exhibition features 21 day, evening, outdoor and children?s outfits from probably the largest surviving collection of period clothes from one person?s wardrobe in Britain.

Emily Tinne bought an astonishing amount of clothes, some of which she never wore, but kept with their original packing and labels. Her daughter, Alexine Tinne, donated the enormous collection, numbering more than 700 items, to National Museums Liverpool between 1966 and 2003. more

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    A LOST world between 1910 and 1940 has been recreated using the wardrobe of philanthropist Emily Tinne, who lived in south Liverpool.

Sudley House, in Mossley Hill, is hosting the exhibition which features the hardly- worn garments discovered in tea chests following her death in 1966.

A Sweet Life: Fashion in a Liverpool sugar merchant?s family, also uses unpublished family letters to reveal the day-to-day life of Mrs Tinne, her wealthy general practitioner husband, Philip, and their six children.

The exhibition features 21 day, evening, outdoor and children?s outfits from probably the largest surviving collection of period clothes from one person?s wardrobe in Britain.

Emily Tinne bought an astonishing amount of clothes, some of which she never wore, but kept with their original packing and labels. Her daughter, Alexine Tinne, donated the enormous collection, numbering more than 700 items, to National Museums Liverpool between 1966 and 2003. more
    I've seen this interesting exhibition. It's well worth visiting as an example of Liverpool Social History. Coincidentally, I recently noticed the 19th C Tinne family gravestone at St George Everton. The family left Everton for Aigburth and lived intially at Briarfield, Mersey rd, Aigburth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tinne Gravestone St George Everton DSC06537R.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	475.1 KB 
ID:	9964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Briarley, Mersey Rd, Aigburth home of the Tinne family.jpg 
Views:	899 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	9965  

Blog Entries

Cheers Taffy
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Sudley House exhibition

Hi Kev
    Just to add to what Taffy says,John A, Tinne was the grandfather of Evelyn Stuart parker,he died in 1936 and was a shipowner,his wife Mary parker lived at The Lawns,Mersey road.In the sixties I worked there as under-gardener,the head gardeners cottage is still there just past Alma Road and further down is the chauffeurs house,I wondered if any members had any photos of this estate ?,the entire estate passed to Liverpool Corporation in 1961,Cheers Kev

Quote Originally Posted by loudon View Post
    Hi Kev
    Just to add to what Taffy says,John A, Tinne was the grandfather of Evelyn Stuart parker,he died in 1936 and was a shipowner,his wife Mary parker lived at The Lawns,Mersey road.In the sixties I worked there as under-gardener,the head gardeners cottage is still there just past Alma Road and further down is the chauffeurs house,I wondered if any members had any photos of this estate ?,the entire estate passed to Liverpool Corporation in 1961,Cheers Kev
    Huh!
    I can only imagine what happened to the estate, then!