Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Islington - £300m makeover

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

It's a shame that this isn't going to be like the "Eldonian Village" which was a 'bottom up' strategy where the residents were the people who decided what was what during the planning and construction phase; it is apparently the only case in the country where the little people made big things happen.

It would be great if Jennifer was like this but alas it isn't. I will do my best to get the affected areas photographed.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Islington set for a makeover

A forgotten quarter of Liverpool’s once expansive city centre is closer to a multi-million pound makeover.

The London Road area used to be as busy as the main shopping centre until hundreds of thousands of people quit the city in the 1950s and 1960s.

Now plans have been drawn up that will see new shops, homes and leisure facilities as well as car parking to entice people back to the “top end of town”.

A masterplan outlining the phased regeneration of the area has been drawn up by the newly-established Islington Regeneration Company and is now under consideration by the city council.

It recommends that the area enclosed by London Road, New Islington, Moss Street and Norton Street should have a combination of commercial, retail and residential use as well as a multi-storey car park.

The existing shops facing London Road - including the highly successful TJ Hughes - will largely be retained with redevelopment taking place elsewhere, apart from Stafford Street where refurbishment is proposed.

Cllr Peter Millea, the city council executive member for regeneration said: “This is an area which is ripe for development. The council is conscious that any plan should aim to allow existing companies to be retained in the area where this is practicable.

“We are doing more work on the masterplan along with Liverpool Vision, but it presents a good framework to realise the potential of the area.

“I think we could use some imagination and not be confined by the current lay-out of the area. For example, there are very wide verges on Islington and New Islington and it may be possible to use those for development if a business wished to expand. This should not greatly affect traffic flow, if at all, and could provide increased opportunities for regeneration.”

The new regeneration company has been set up by Downing Developments, Pencare Developments and businessmen Alfie Finnegan and Gerard Murphy. It has been established specifically to develop what is now being called the Kensington Quarter.

The compared hired consultants as a first step towards drawing up a master plan. It envisages a seven en-phase development programme for the quarter, which was at one time earmarked as a potential controlled-zone for prostitution.

Cllr Mike Storey, the council’s executive member for special initiatives welcomed the prospect of the area being improved.

“We have been talking for some months to the parties involved and believe we now have a good formula for a way forward. I am delighted that this long established part of our city centre will play a big part in our future.”

Currently 600 businesses, residents and other stakeholders in the area are being consulted about a planning framework which will help guide the style, size and type of development suitable for the Islington area.

Gerard

More £250,000 apartments then or what..
    Their gradually working their way toward St Anne St and Scottie Rd and it wont be long before Scottie is full of Yuppie apartments that Ordinary people can't afford.

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    More £250,000 apartments then or what..
    Their gradually working their way toward St Anne St and Scottie Rd and it wont be long before Scottie is full of Yuppie apartments that Ordinary people can't afford.
    Very unlikey, I caan't see what is wrong with regeneration myself

The article does actually state that the council wants the plan to include as much as possible the existing stores in London Road ie the cheap and cheerful culture the area already has. I can't see a dramatic cultural change there, this plan will simply build on whats there as there is a market for that kind of thing.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Very unlikey, I caan't see what is wrong with regeneration myself

The article does actually state that the council wants the plan to include as much as possible the existing stores in London Road ie the cheap and cheerful culture the area already has. I can't see a dramatic cultural change there, this plan will simply build on whats there as there is a market for that kind of thing.
    I agree Subs things have to move on..
    How many ordinary people can afford these fancy apartments though at £250,000 a go.

Where and when was the Last Housing put up around the Town for ordinary people.

Libertarian

I agree Subs things have to move on..
    How many ordinary people can afford these fancy apartments though at £250,000 a go.

Where and when was the Last Housing put up around the Town for ordinary people.
    Well I can't afford that price tag meself. However I would prefer to see London Road thriving again rather than all boarded up shops.

I don't think Yuppie flats will be built further north than Leeds Street because the culture changes from the city centre.
    Yep I agree affordable housing should be built in places like the north end for ordinary people.

scouserdave

I hope they can stretch the budget to include West Derby Rd, in particular the area between Farnworth St and Brunswick Rd. It's a wasteland and an eyesore. The only buildings around there nowadays is the Grafton/Olympia, the Olympia Pub and Olympia Furnishings. Oh, and Brougham Terrace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Oh, and Brougham Terrace.
    I've been to a few weddings in there, and the Grafton many many times.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gerard

Well I can't afford that price tag meself. However I would prefer to see London Road thriving again rather than all boarded up shops.

I don't think Yuppie flats will be built further north than Leeds Street because the culture changes from the city centre.
    Yep I agree affordable housing should be built in places like the north end for ordinary people.

Culture Changes..if you had of told people who lived in Gerard Gardens 30 years ago that 200 yards over the Rd Peppers Pub on Commutation Row would one day be Yuppie apartments you Subs would be Millionaire MANY MANY MANY times over..

I and many many others would have given you a Million to one Odds on that.

You would'nt have got paid..but do you see what I'm saying.

Gerard

I want to see London thriving propably more than anyone..I grew up there and was never out of Woolies and TJ'S as a Kid with my Mam.

I dont want to see it turn into a Yuppie Quarter though..
    And thats what will happen...mark my words.

Libertarian

Culture Changes..if you had of told people who lived in Gerard Gardens 30 years ago that 200 yards over the Rd Peppers Pub on Commutation Row would one day be Yuppie apartments you Subs would be Millionaire MANY MANY MANY times over..

I and many many others would have given you a Million to one Odds on that.

You would'nt have got paid..but do you see what I'm saying.
    Got to disagree with you on this one Gerard. For years Commutation Row was a disgrace and an embarrasment to Liverpool. I for one was glad when it was redeveloped. The fact is there is still traditional housing where Gerard Gardens stood so whats the problem?

Libertarian

There's no way that the London Road area would become a Yuppie area as call it as if anyone with taste would shop at TJ Hughes.

Anyway why should Liverpool's ambitious lower middle classes be held back any longer by the scall class in Liverpool?

Gerard

Got to disagree with you on this one Gerard. For years Commutation Row was a disgrace and an embarrasment to Liverpool. I for one was glad when it was redeveloped. The fact is there is still traditional housing where Gerard Gardens stood so whats the problem?
    You said Subs them developments would not work in the London Rd area because of Culture differences..
    You have just contradicted yourself by saying this,

"The fact is there is still traditional housing where Gerard Gardens stood so whats the problem?"

The old and the new Next to each other..I know..I live there..

As for Commutation Row being a Disgrace and Embarrasment to Liverpool,Wasn't the Albert Dock Area one time as well..
    Weren't the Fancy dock apartments a Disgrace one Time..
    Commutaion Row was no more a Disgrace Than the Berry Street area..
    It was allowed to Rot and something should have been done about it in keeping with its heritage..NOT fancy apartments,
    I agree Subs..We definately are going to have to beg to differ on this one.

Gerard

There's no way that the London Road area would become a Yuppie area as call it as if anyone with taste would shop at TJ Hughes.

Anyway why should Liverpool's ambitious lower middle classes be held back any longer by the scall class in Liverpool?

Rrrr aye subs..yer not at it again Rrrr yer..

Blog Entries

That's a naughty comment Suburban, whilst the scally element of our city and wider contains undesirable elements and behaviours, u can't dis Tj's mate.

And whats this lower middle class you are on about?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast