Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Islington - £300m makeover

Blog Entries

Default Islington - £300m makeover

LANDLORDS and developers in Liverpools rundown Islington district are combining to drive forward a £300m makeover for the area.

Firms including Downing and Pencare Properties, along with other investors, have set up the Islington Regeneration Company with the intention of breathing new life into the land behind the cityundefineds TJ Hughes department store.

The transformation of the 25-acre site, which is still in its early planning stages, has the backing of regeneration agency Liverpool Vision. It is hoped the entire project will be funded by the private sector.

Following consultation with local businesses, it has been decided that the best way to proceed would be an extensive redevelopment while retaining the existing businesses and street pattern. Under a five-year plan, thousands of square feet of both commercial and residential space would be created.

A spokesman for Liverpool Vision said: We are keen to bring forward a framework for the regeneration of the Islington area. The process is still at an early stage, but consultation with the local landowners, businesses and residents has been positive.

more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

This is significant Isn't it,that whole area is criminally under used so I can't wait to see how they're going to intregate it with the local community.Liverpool is on the up,this is the ripple effect of regeneration we could have only dreamed of at one time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    This is significant Isn't it,that whole area is criminally under used so I can't wait to see how they're going to intregate it with the local community.Liverpool is on the up,this is the ripple effect of regeneration we could have only dreamed of at one time.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Exciting times for Liverpool,I just wish I was a teen so I'd really get to see the benefits of our changing city,but hey I'm not on my lazzies yet so time to kick back and watch our city be born again.

this is the ripple effect of regeneration
    Hope the ripple continues on into Kensington and doesn't peter out at Low Hill.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Fingers and everything else crossed. Brilliant news for that part of the city.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I'm sure it will eventually but it will take years I reckon before any benefits will be felt.You step out of Manhatten and you'll find poverty that makes Kensington look upmarket believe me.Nowhere in Liverpool comes anywhere near the level of poverty some of these people face,but I do no where you're coming from,it would be good to see,some of the houses around there are beautiful and nothing a little TLC couldn't fix.

some of the houses around there are beautiful and nothing a little TLC couldn't fix
    It's a shame that this government favours demolition over renovation. We stand to lose a great deal of our Victorian heritage.

Blog Entries

It's a shame that this government favours demolition over renovation. We stand to lose a great deal of our Victorian heritage.
    I know
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

And replace it with rubbish sadly.

Did anyone see the programme on t.v. where a millionaire was looking to give away some of his fortune to those he deemed worthy. He was living in Kensington and as it happened, as usual with Liverpool people they were too proud and honest to come clean about their poverty. I never thought the pub was the best place to start looking for someone worthy but the ladies there just shrugged and said 'our mothers had it harder' - the bingo hall didn't give him much insight either. A family, the older member originally from Nicaragua, cramped into a two up two down offered him dinner, one of their best moves ever as he ended up giving the scouse daughter and her bloke 10K for the deposit on a home for themselves. It was some immigrants at a local hostel who benefitted next including a nice Kenyan chap who was offered and took up an accountancy job back at the millionaires dehumidifier factory in the North East. Overall, a good advert for Liverpool and Kensington I thought.

scouserdave

How can they do a makeover when there's bugger all there? Apart from Islington Square, everything is knocked down.

I agree Dave. Did you see the pics in yesterdays daily post Heritage pull out. Some great fine old stone buildings knocked down in Hood st and Great Charlotte st including the old St. Johns for all that concrete that's there now. Islington, the great old Rushworths building amongst them, decimated for what was just a road widening scheme in the end.

Do you know what the big massive building on the corner of St. Anne street and Islington was? it's in quite a few of the L.R.O. Central area aerial pics of the 30s and was still there in the 60s.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I agree Dave. Did you see the pics in yesterdays daily post Heritage pull out. Some great fine old stone buildings knocked down in Hood st and Great Charlotte st including the old St. Johns for all that concrete that's there now. Islington, the great old Rushworths building amongst them, decimated for what was just a road widening scheme in the end.

Do you know what the big massive building on the corner of St. Anne street and Islington was? it's in quite a few of the L.R.O. Central area aerial pics of the 30s and was still there in the 60s.
    Possibly the Owen Owen Warehouse?

This pic is from "Liverpool" by Quentin Hughes (Studio Vista, 1969).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen_owen_warehouse.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	734  

scouserdave

Done some work there as a kid in '73. I was as fit as a butcher's dog carrying those bed matresses and bases around. At the time, that's all they stored there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast