Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Islington - £300m makeover

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Done some work there as a kid in '73. I was as fit as a butcher's dog carrying those bed matresses and bases around. At the time, that's all they stored there.
    It was burnt down a while back Phil, btw. Bloody Google

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    It was burnt down a while back Phil, btw. Bloody Google
    I took a couple of pics, but all the smoke (or steam?) obliterated the building.
    They were from quite a distance & didn't turn out very well.
    I'll see if I can find them.

This is great news providing it is done right.
    Along the left hand side of Islington as you go in to town is horrible with mainly just the backs of warehouses. This is a great opportunity to provide an actual street frontage to the place. This frontage would face on to what is some really nice landscaping on the central reservation and the everton side. Hopefully the buildings will be mixed use (a mix of the wholesale businesses that are mainly there now and residential is a nice mix i feel - look at the meat packing and grment districts of new york) and of a decent urban scale (at least 6 storeys) and not 3 storey brick wendy houses like they propose for edge lane.As this is one of the main routes into the city centre, it needs to look better than it does now so I cant wait to see somne plans. Ive always thought the site at the end where the emo car wash was is an ideal site for a landmark tall building as well!

Hiya Phil. No it wasn't the Owen Owen warehouse, that was where the new fire station is now, next to the Wellington Pub, I remember it being on fire, it was just an 'oller' for years afterwards but thanks anyway. The place i'm on about stood on the opposite (West) side, a bit further along on the corner of St. Anne st and Islington. I'll see if I can post a pic up of it but it may be in the distance, it's in my books.

This area is the perfect area to spread the city further and hopefully lead on the the reconnecting of Everton and Kensington. They just need to effectively bridge and reorganise islington in terms of the road way and this could become a key stepping stone.

There is a major masterplan for this, my connections have shown me the 3D, its happening soon, lots of companies involved.

Gerard

A view looking up Islington circa 1987.
    Taken from inside Gerard Gardens or whats left of them !!.
    SFX Church in the Distance to the left.

Last edited by Gerard; 01-29-2007 at 05:09 PM.

I once wrote in with my vision of city centre Liverpool and got a favourable reply off the council but that was about it. Lime street and William Brown Street with those fantastic buildings should be plazas, pedestrianised - how the disabled ever make it across town I don't know. There should be four massive multi storey with below ground parking car parks on each approach to the city centre, just on the periphery, there's some already there now. Trams or buses could shunt people in, it'd do away with street parking, traffic wardens, possible even traffic lights. It was before any of this regeneration and Radio Merseyside agreed it was a good idea.

There is a major masterplan for this, my connections have shown me the 3D, its happening soon, lots of companies involved.
    I've heard about this but haven't seen any images yet,is there anywhere we can view the masterplan for ourselves?

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I've heard about this but haven't seen any images yet,is there anywhere we can view the masterplan for ourselves?
    Aye, I'll be shading the boundaries of it onto my Google Earth Liverpool Regeneration map when we get it.. Simple things they say..!

I mapped out Jennifer Project on there and was surprised to the see the sheer scale of the area under question. I think it's about 2/3 times of Grosvenor/PSD

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    Aye, I'll be shading the boundaries of it onto my Google Earth Liverpool Regeneration map when we get it.. Simple things they say..!

I mapped out Jennifer Project on there and was surprised to the see the sheer scale of the area under question. I think it's about 2/3 times of Grosvenor/PSD
    I didn't realise Project Jennifer was that big.

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Just checked and yup, it's easily 3 tiimes the size of the whole PSD project. If you think of the the Kings Dock masterplan reaching right down to the newish Excise complex there, it's also 3 times that big...

If I work out how to post images I should be able to show it.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    Just checked and yup, it's easily 3 tiimes the size of the whole PSD project. If you think of the the Kings Dock masterplan reaching right down to the newish Excise complex there, it's also 3 times that big...

If I work out how to post images I should be able to show it.
    So, does Project Jenifer extend from the Rotunda (more or less) down to Islington? That would be quite a large area indeed and would possibly explain why the demolision of those flats on Junival Street is starting to take place.

Must try to get round there; before it all changes.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    A view looking up Islington circa 1987.
    Taken from inside Gerard Gardens or whats left of them !!.
    SFX Church in the Distance to the left.

Gerard mate, a fantastic pic!
    I love all pics regarding Liverpool, but when you see pics on your own patch, it really strikes a chord
    Thanks

As far as I know, the flats on Juvenal, Grosvenor, Chaucer streets etc is not officially part of Project Jennifer and the residents there were up in arms that only a small portion of the new build housing will be for council rent, the rest being private?

Dryden st, which is part of it though, is now being flattened ready for new housing and there's already some housing gone up in Chapel Gardens and the Bottom of Wilbraham/Penryn streets and some buildings going up where the old indoor St Martin's market was. The Kwik save block is still there though.

Local residents at the other end of Great Homer street (skirving st) were on Radio Merseyside last week bemoaning that they don't get left behind or shipped out of the area, just as it looks like it might be taking off again.

scouserdave

I posted a Project Jennifer thread on SSC a couple of years back and it was sniffed at by the Scousers who post there. Speaks volumes of the quality/knowledge of their Liverpool posters. LOL!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast