YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Islington - £300m makeover

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Islington - £300m makeover

LANDLORDS and developers in Liverpools rundown Islington district are combining to drive forward a £300m makeover for the area.

Firms including Downing and Pencare Properties, along with other investors, have set up the Islington Regeneration Company with the intention of breathing new life into the land behind the cityundefineds TJ Hughes department store.

The transformation of the 25-acre site, which is still in its early planning stages, has the backing of regeneration agency Liverpool Vision. It is hoped the entire project will be funded by the private sector.

Following consultation with local businesses, it has been decided that the best way to proceed would be an extensive redevelopment while retaining the existing businesses and street pattern. Under a five-year plan, thousands of square feet of both commercial and residential space would be created.

ADVERTISING

A spokesman for Liverpool Vision said: We are keen to bring forward a framework for the regeneration of the Islington area. The process is still at an early stage, but consultation with the local landowners, businesses and residents has been positive.

more
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

This is significant Isn't it,that whole area is criminally under used so I can't wait to see how they're going to intregate it with the local community.Liverpool is on the up,this is the ripple effect of regeneration we could have only dreamed of at one time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    This is significant Isn't it,that whole area is criminally under used so I can't wait to see how they're going to intregate it with the local community.Liverpool is on the up,this is the ripple effect of regeneration we could have only dreamed of at one time.
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Exciting times for Liverpool,I just wish I was a teen so I'd really get to see the benefits of our changing city,but hey I'm not on my lazzies yet so time to kick back and watch our city be born again.

Thanks

this is the ripple effect of regeneration
    Hope the ripple continues on into Kensington and doesn't peter out at Low Hill.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Fingers and everything else crossed. Brilliant news for that part of the city.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

I'm sure it will eventually but it will take years I reckon before any benefits will be felt.You step out of Manhatten and you'll find poverty that makes Kensington look upmarket believe me.Nowhere in Liverpool comes anywhere near the level of poverty some of these people face,but I do no where you're coming from,it would be good to see,some of the houses around there are beautiful and nothing a little TLC couldn't fix.

Thanks

some of the houses around there are beautiful and nothing a little TLC couldn't fix
    It's a shame that this government favours demolition over renovation. We stand to lose a great deal of our Victorian heritage.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's a shame that this government favours demolition over renovation. We stand to lose a great deal of our Victorian heritage.
    I know

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

And replace it with rubbish sadly.

Thanks

Did anyone see the programme on t.v. where a millionaire was looking to give away some of his fortune to those he deemed worthy. He was living in Kensington and as it happened, as usual with Liverpool people they were too proud and honest to come clean about their poverty. I never thought the pub was the best place to start looking for someone worthy but the ladies there just shrugged and said 'our mothers had it harder' - the bingo hall didn't give him much insight either. A family, the older member originally from Nicaragua, cramped into a two up two down offered him dinner, one of their best moves ever as he ended up giving the scouse daughter and her bloke 10K for the deposit on a home for themselves. It was some immigrants at a local hostel who benefitted next including a nice Kenyan chap who was offered and took up an accountancy job back at the millionaires dehumidifier factory in the North East. Overall, a good advert for Liverpool and Kensington I thought.

scouserdave

How can they do a makeover when there's bugger all there? Apart from Islington Square, everything is knocked down.

Thanks

I agree Dave. Did you see the pics in yesterdays daily post Heritage pull out. Some great fine old stone buildings knocked down in Hood st and Great Charlotte st including the old St. Johns for all that concrete that's there now. Islington, the great old Rushworths building amongst them, decimated for what was just a road widening scheme in the end.

Do you know what the big massive building on the corner of St. Anne street and Islington was? it's in quite a few of the L.R.O. Central area aerial pics of the 30s and was still there in the 60s.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I agree Dave. Did you see the pics in yesterdays daily post Heritage pull out. Some great fine old stone buildings knocked down in Hood st and Great Charlotte st including the old St. Johns for all that concrete that's there now. Islington, the great old Rushworths building amongst them, decimated for what was just a road widening scheme in the end.

Do you know what the big massive building on the corner of St. Anne street and Islington was? it's in quite a few of the L.R.O. Central area aerial pics of the 30s and was still there in the 60s.
    Possibly the Owen Owen Warehouse?

This pic is from "Liverpool" by Quentin Hughes (Studio Vista, 1969).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen_owen_warehouse.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	734  

scouserdave

Done some work there as a kid in '73. I was as fit as a butcher's dog carrying those bed matresses and bases around. At the time, that's all they stored there.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Done some work there as a kid in '73. I was as fit as a butcher's dog carrying those bed matresses and bases around. At the time, that's all they stored there.
    It was burnt down a while back Phil, btw. Bloody Google

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    It was burnt down a while back Phil, btw. Bloody Google
    I took a couple of pics, but all the smoke (or steam?) obliterated the building.
    They were from quite a distance & didn't turn out very well.
    I'll see if I can find them.

Thanks

This is great news providing it is done right.
    Along the left hand side of Islington as you go in to town is horrible with mainly just the backs of warehouses. This is a great opportunity to provide an actual street frontage to the place. This frontage would face on to what is some really nice landscaping on the central reservation and the everton side. Hopefully the buildings will be mixed use (a mix of the wholesale businesses that are mainly there now and residential is a nice mix i feel - look at the meat packing and grment districts of new york) and of a decent urban scale (at least 6 storeys) and not 3 storey brick wendy houses like they propose for edge lane.As this is one of the main routes into the city centre, it needs to look better than it does now so I cant wait to see somne plans. Ive always thought the site at the end where the emo car wash was is an ideal site for a landmark tall building as well!

Thanks

Hiya Phil. No it wasn't the Owen Owen warehouse, that was where the new fire station is now, next to the Wellington Pub, I remember it being on fire, it was just an 'oller' for years afterwards but thanks anyway. The place i'm on about stood on the opposite (West) side, a bit further along on the corner of St. Anne st and Islington. I'll see if I can post a pic up of it but it may be in the distance, it's in my books.

Thanks

This area is the perfect area to spread the city further and hopefully lead on the the reconnecting of Everton and Kensington. They just need to effectively bridge and reorganise islington in terms of the road way and this could become a key stepping stone.

There is a major masterplan for this, my connections have shown me the 3D, its happening soon, lots of companies involved.

Gerard

A view looking up Islington circa 1987.
    Taken from inside Gerard Gardens or whats left of them !!.
    SFX Church in the Distance to the left.

Last edited by Gerard; 01-29-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

I once wrote in with my vision of city centre Liverpool and got a favourable reply off the council but that was about it. Lime street and William Brown Street with those fantastic buildings should be plazas, pedestrianised - how the disabled ever make it across town I don't know. There should be four massive multi storey with below ground parking car parks on each approach to the city centre, just on the periphery, there's some already there now. Trams or buses could shunt people in, it'd do away with street parking, traffic wardens, possible even traffic lights. It was before any of this regeneration and Radio Merseyside agreed it was a good idea.

Thanks

There is a major masterplan for this, my connections have shown me the 3D, its happening soon, lots of companies involved.
    I've heard about this but haven't seen any images yet,is there anywhere we can view the masterplan for ourselves?

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I've heard about this but haven't seen any images yet,is there anywhere we can view the masterplan for ourselves?
    Aye, I'll be shading the boundaries of it onto my Google Earth Liverpool Regeneration map when we get it.. Simple things they say..!

I mapped out Jennifer Project on there and was surprised to the see the sheer scale of the area under question. I think it's about 2/3 times of Grosvenor/PSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    Aye, I'll be shading the boundaries of it onto my Google Earth Liverpool Regeneration map when we get it.. Simple things they say..!

I mapped out Jennifer Project on there and was surprised to the see the sheer scale of the area under question. I think it's about 2/3 times of Grosvenor/PSD
    I didn't realise Project Jennifer was that big.

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Thanks

Just checked and yup, it's easily 3 tiimes the size of the whole PSD project. If you think of the the Kings Dock masterplan reaching right down to the newish Excise complex there, it's also 3 times that big...

If I work out how to post images I should be able to show it.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    Just checked and yup, it's easily 3 tiimes the size of the whole PSD project. If you think of the the Kings Dock masterplan reaching right down to the newish Excise complex there, it's also 3 times that big...

If I work out how to post images I should be able to show it.
    So, does Project Jenifer extend from the Rotunda (more or less) down to Islington? That would be quite a large area indeed and would possibly explain why the demolision of those flats on Junival Street is starting to take place.

Must try to get round there; before it all changes.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    A view looking up Islington circa 1987.
    Taken from inside Gerard Gardens or whats left of them !!.
    SFX Church in the Distance to the left.

Gerard mate, a fantastic pic!
    I love all pics regarding Liverpool, but when you see pics on your own patch, it really strikes a chord
    Thanks

Thanks

As far as I know, the flats on Juvenal, Grosvenor, Chaucer streets etc is not officially part of Project Jennifer and the residents there were up in arms that only a small portion of the new build housing will be for council rent, the rest being private?

Dryden st, which is part of it though, is now being flattened ready for new housing and there's already some housing gone up in Chapel Gardens and the Bottom of Wilbraham/Penryn streets and some buildings going up where the old indoor St Martin's market was. The Kwik save block is still there though.

Local residents at the other end of Great Homer street (skirving st) were on Radio Merseyside last week bemoaning that they don't get left behind or shipped out of the area, just as it looks like it might be taking off again.

scouserdave

I posted a Project Jennifer thread on SSC a couple of years back and it was sniffed at by the Scousers who post there. Speaks volumes of the quality/knowledge of their Liverpool posters. LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast